Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 days in Venice (sorry hit the wrong key)

Nov 30th, 1999, 08:41 PM
Maxine

On the advise from the forum, we have cut 3 cities off our trip which will gives us now 4 days in each. (Rome-Venice-Paris) Is 4 days too long in Venice?, what should we see?, and what day trips are available. I am so pleased i came across this site when surfing the net one day, thanks Maxine

Dec 1st, 1999, 04:13 AM
PeteM

4 days in venice will be fine to see lots, but I could have spent four weeks wandering around. The main sites are well grouped together (St. Marks, Doge'd Palace, the Camponile and the Rialto). After seeing them, take time to just wander around the back streets, dont open your map, just walk. You will never know what will be around the next corner. While expensive, a gondola ride was a wonderful way to relax nd soak in the sights. We brought two glasses and a bottle of Venetian Champagne (Prosecco) and just sat back and enjoyed the all too short ride. Venice is a great city to relax after the wonderful bustling city of Rome. As for day trips, most often mentioned are rides to Murano and Borano (SP?). Overpriced lace and glass, but the demonstrations were great. Also, on of the Vaporetto routes (I am not sure which one) circles the entire Grand Canal. For a few bucks you can go the whole length of Venice.

IMHO, Vencie was my favorite place in Italy.

Enjoy

Dec 1st, 1999, 04:19 AM
Mary Ann

Venice is a wonderful city to enjoy. A boat trip to Murano by speed boat (your hotel can arrange) is a neat way to get pictures (hopefully a sunny day). Just meals can take time. Consider getting Rick Steves books and take a progressive pub tour! Have a great time, we were there in September for 2 nights which was not enough.

Dec 1st, 1999, 04:28 AM
elaine

Dear Maxine
If you are interested in my own sightseeing notes on Venice, email me.
Enjoy your trip.

Dec 1st, 1999, 04:34 AM
Paulo

If I were flying all the way, I would arrange things to stay 3 full days in Venice. This would give me an extra night either in Paris or in Rome (tough call).
If travelling by train, one should take the over 10 hours Venice-Paris trip. It makes no much sense burning precious day light in the process. I would take a direct sleeper train (8:05pm out of Venice, arriving at 8:25am in Paris). Once again, I would plan 3 full days in Venice, meaning that I would catch the 4:55pm Eurostar from Rome to Venice, arriving at 9:30pm.

With only 3 full days available in Venice, I would forget about side trips (Padua and the like). You may spend one afternoon visiting Burano and Torcello islands (which I favor over Murano). You should stroll as much as possible in Venice. I would reserve a morning to visit San Marco (square & basilica) and the Doges' Palace (eventually also Museo Correr. You should be done around 1pm, in position to do your island trip. The other two days I would reserve for to:

1. stroll through the sestieri of San Polo and Dorsoduro, starting at the Rialto briodge and finishing at the La Salute. I would choose to visit either the Accademia or Scuola San Rocco, not both. I would also visit I Frari and other churches on the itinerary (San Giacomo di Rialto, San Giacomo dell'Orio, San Polo, San Pantalon, Carmine, San Barnaba, Gesuati and La Salute).

2. stroll through the sestieri of Castello and Canareggio. In this itinerary I would certainly visit the San Zanipolo, Gesuiti and Madonna dell'Orto churches (possibly also Sta. Maria Formosa, SS Apostoli, etc) and the ghetto.

Once you decided on your travel arrangements (Rome-Venice-Paris) email me directly for strolling itinerary suggestions (1. and 2. above) and a hint on how to enter the basilica early in the morning before the crowds. To be most effective, I'll need to know the exact days and times you'll be in Venice. It would also help to know if you're more interested in a one man show (Tintoretto/San Rocco - 1 hour) or more varied one (Accademia - 2 hours).
Paulo

Dec 1st, 1999, 04:35 AM
Rex

Maxine,

How are you getting from Rome to Venice to Paris? I don't know the context of how you came to be advised to "cut" cities - - but I would NOT choose to spend 12 days in Europe and see only major cities. There is so much of a different Europe you will see if you get a car and take off across country.

Do you speak any Italian or French? or plan to work on learning any? A little effort trying to learn the language goes a long way in ading to your enjoyment of Europe.

The Rome-Venice leg has so much to see that you are going to "skip" over. Maybe it is not the best leg to have a car (since it is not the greatest idea in Rome and you have to get rid of it for Venice anyway).

I think all three cities could afford to have one day cut and spend sometime in rural France or Italy. I love France and it kils me to say so, but maybe you ought to cut Paris altogether! Milan could give you the same fashion "fix" - - it's an easy place to drive in and out of, and you could be in the south of France in no time. Or just see some of the rest of northern and north/cenral Italy.

I don't mean to be negative about your itinerary - - you will have a great trip even if you stay with 4-4-4, but you can cover fewer miles (km), and have a very different (better?) trip.

Best wishes,

Rex

Dec 1st, 1999, 05:57 AM
Carol

Hi Maxine:

Although a Venice lover, I second Paulo's recommendations about an extra day in Paris or Rome being a better choice for this trip. Heed his advice about Venice, he's laid out some wonderful itineraries. Do another search on Venice here, there was a great posting about cheap and terrific eating places a few days ago.

Finally, here's my vote for a gondola ride in Venice--but do it at night to get the full flavor of this unique experience.

Dec 1st, 1999, 08:58 AM
topper

topper