4 days in Provence

Apr 26th, 2001, 01:51 PM
jane

4 days in Provence

I need some advice- we have 4 days in Provence. I had originally planned to spend 2 in Avignon and 2 in Aix. Now I am having second thoughts, should I instead pick one and day trip to the other- any thoughts?

Apr 26th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Jen

Depends on what you want to do. I'm all for picking one spot for that amount of time, and not basing yourself in a 'city' where you might spend some time in traffic. I ran into a big jam in Avignon once, and other times, had no trouble getting around.

I'd base yourself somewhere in between those 2 places, like Gordes, and travel from there over 4 days. St. Remy is also a good base for this, but a little far from Aix. Good for all of the Luberon, Arles, Nimes, otherwise.

Apr 26th, 2001, 05:48 PM
Joan

Jane, after lots of reading and talking to people, we're very excited about our itinery in Provence Taking a train from Barcelona to Montpellier, we're renting a car and staying one night in Arles. Next day touring Arles, Les Baux and environs and staying in St. Remy. For the next 2 days we'll ending up sleeping in Menerbes, setting out each morning for a different adventure. Sounds very cool.

Apr 26th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Capo

Why the second thoughts? Because you're not sure you want to change hotels, or cities? I've never spent any time in Avignon except to catch the train back to Paris...but I LOVED Aix so, if you're set on staying in one of the two places, that would be my recommendation.

Apr 27th, 2001, 04:15 AM
PB

If you have a car, I wouldn't base myself in either of those cities. They're rather like cities anywhere in the world... with traffic, noise and little 'charm'.

I would suggest staying in one place ...
a village either in the Luberon region (Bonnieux, Menerbes) or closer to St. Remy, Maussane-les-Alpilles, or Les Baux. Almost everyplace can be reached in under an hour by car... Aix is one hour from St. Remy - about a 20 minute longer drive if you're staying in Gordes.

PB

Apr 27th, 2001, 12:40 PM
LS

PB is right.
We have made many trips to Provence and find St.Remy really convenient. It's a charming town and within 20 minutes of many other wonderful small towns.It is also about 5 minutes to the autoroute which you can use to get to Aix and Avignon.

Apr 28th, 2001, 03:06 AM
LS

PB is right.
We have made many trips to Provence and find St.Remy really convenient. It's a charming town and within 20 minutes of many other wonderful small towns.It is also about 5 minutes to the autoroute which you can use to get to Aix and Avignon.