Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can't find price on train tickets from Trier to Brugge . Can anyone help?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 01:26 AM
Anna

I have tried the German, French and other non-national web sites but I can't get a price on a point to point ticket from Trier to Brugge. The German rail site has the schedule, but they only tell you how much it costs to get from Trier to AAchen but not into Belgium. Does anyone know how to find out the price for a second class ticket for that voyage? Also need to know how much it costs to go by train from Brugge to Dusseldorf (via Ghent). Want to know this so I know whether it's better to drop car off in Trier or hold onto it. I need to know this info to compare train ticket prices to car rental prices for the same trip....we're leaving early next week and I've got to book car soon.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:03 AM
Curt

Anna <BR>Try the Rick Steves site, which has a section on trains. I think that on that site you can get pretty good point to point pricing on most trains. Worth a look see anyway. The url is <BR>http://www.ricksteves.com/

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 08:03 AM
ANNA ANSWER

ANNA did you see this huh huh huh huh

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 10:04 AM
BTilke

Anna, <BR>Looking at Trier on the map, you'd be better off going to Luxembourg and picking up a train to Brugge from there (you might have to change in Brussels). It's a pleasant ride through the Ardennes and usually stopping in Liege, possibly Leuven, Namur, etc. The fare one way second class is something in $25-30. <BR>From Brugge or Ghent to Dusseldorf, your best best would be to take the Thalys. Check the web site www.thalys.com for schedule/price info. You can email them with specific questions; I've had quick responses from them to my questions. The Thalys is more expensive than the regular trains, but not that much, and the extra cost it worth the speed and reserved seats, etc. I also think you'd find the trains much more cost effective than a car. <BR>BTilke

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Myriam

Anna, I've checked on the price from Welkenraedt (1st station on Belgian territory after Aachen) to Brugge. Full fare is 595 BF (abt. 13 US$) one-way. But Deutsche Bahn as well as Belgian Rail have various special rates like Eurail Pass, Saver pass, etc. Did you check the "Special offers for non-European Travellers" on the German Railway's website? Or maybe you can find an e-mail address and just ask the exact price. <BR>From Brussels to Dusseldorf the basic price is 2.560 BF (57 US$) one-way but here again you could make use of special formulas. <BR>If it was up to me, I would choose to drive, just for the comfort of coming and going whenever you like. <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 10:59 AM
BTilke

Hi again Anna, <BR>I did some more checking on train schedules. <BR>From Luxembourg, there are over a dozen trains per day that will get you to Brugge (Bruges). However, you will need to change at the Gare du Midi in Brussels. It's a simple thing to do; most trains to Bruges leave on tracks 10-13; they will have Knokke/Blankenberge or Ostende as their final destination--both stop in Ghent and Brugge. From Luxembourg to Brugge, the total travel time is about 4 hours, including the 20-25 minute time gap between when you'd arrive in Brussels and then leave for Brugge (which is nothing to worry about; trains leave for Brugge from Brussels twice an hour until very late at night). You can buy the ticket through to Brugge in Luxembourg; you would NOT have to buy a separate ticket in Brussels. <BR>From Brugge to Dusseldorf, I know there's an international train that runs to Koln and probably stops at Dusseldorf on the way, but it's a pretty late train. I think the best thing to do would be take the train 4:30 or 5 pm from Brugge to Brussels (Gare du Midi) and then change to the Thalys, which leaves at 6:25 pm and gets into Dusseldort at 9:06 pm. The second class, one-way fare is about $50 on the Thalys; add another $10 for the 50-minute trip from Brugge to Brussels. The first class Thalys fare is $75 or so; if you're not really tight for cash, I'd spring for first class as I *think* they will serve you a nice meal at your seat. And it's more pleasant in first class. <BR>You can catch a Thalys from Aachen to Brussels and change to Brugge if you still want to go that route. Check the Thalys web site for details. Hope this gives you more of the info you're seeking. <BR>BTilke

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 02:11 AM
Anna

I appreciate all the answers, I think! <BR>