Search

4 days in Naxos

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2018, 12:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 days in Naxos

Hey guys,

Looking for some feedback on our 4 days in Naxos. We are 32 and 29 and love photography and exploring.

September 8
Early ferry Santorini to Naxos (645am-900am)
Beach day (Plaka beach)
Bus to Plaka beach
Rent daybed at Naxian on the beach
Tortuga restaurant ??
Overnight in Naxos (Kalergis Studios)

September 9
Day in Naxos
Explore Naxos Town
Portara (Temple of Apollo)
Old Kastro (Castle district)
Afternoon at beach
Agios Georgios Beach

September 10
Day in Naxos
Pick up rental car at 830am
Drive to Apollonas (Kuoros of Apollonas)
Panagia Drossiani (church)
Chalki
Vallindras Kitron distillery
Filoti
Rotonda cafe and Bar (between Filoti and Apeiranthos)
Apeiranthos
Temple of Demeter (Sangri)
Kastraki Beach for a swim
Back to Hora

September 11
Day in Naxos
Do Mt Zeus hike (early AM)
Afternoon at beach (Agios Prokipos)
Drop off rental car at 400pm
Ferry Naxos to Athens (Piraeu) (500pm-855pm)

Any feedback would be awesome!

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 07:44 AM

Excellent ideas ... and I'll add a few tweaks from my many enjoyable stays in Naxos (and u will be happy w Kalergis, all balconies face the sea).
• SEP 8 - Other restaurant options: (1) TO KASTRO, a terrace high up, looking down on town & sea, arrive by 7ish, it fills up (2) NOSTRIMON HELLAS, New, in back street, Great Modern twist on Greek cuisine ...
• SEPT 9 - U may want to save PORTARA for end of day, for the "iconic" photo of sunset THRU the arch - that could be the night to dine at harborside: reliable places there include The Good Heart (look for Heart on sign) Popi's, and Smyrna. ALSO -- It's Smart to do your car rental the night before... arrange to pick it up at 9 or 9:30pm (yes they are open late) & park it wherever. Naxos agencies are cheery but SLOW to get started in the AM, and if you go at 9AM Sept 10, it may be 10:30am before you drive away
• SEPT 10 - Great sightseeing list ... NOTE: after temple @ Sangri, be careful what road you take to reach Kastraki beach... there are many dead-ends, roads that peter out, have agency mark your paper map; here's a good online one for sights - Map of Naxos
• SEPT 11- u will have to check out of room by noon, but you could keep your stuff in LOCKED car (rent a car with a trunk/boot), then use beach taverna to change into travel duds ... it saves paying 1 extra day at Kalergis (also, Kalergis desk might keep your big bags in reception upon checkout, and let you use an empty bathroom for a quick wash/change; many hoteliers do this if u ask nicely)
-- have a wonderful time!
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 08:08 PM
kja

I'm not sure why, exactly, but the staff of my hotel when in Naxos -- people who were actually born there -- told me, in no uncertain terms, that my drive around the island should be counterclockwise, not clockwise (as you plan). They said that the views one faced while driving were much better in that direction. Of course, having made the trip in only one direction, and at one time of year and one time of day, I can't say whether that advice would apply to you! Just thought I'd mention it....

The section of my trip report that covers Naxos begins with post # 109.
With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece

Enjoy!