Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 days in Bodrum/4 days in Antalya - what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Bodrum and Antalya from March 29 - April 7. I am big into the outdoors, water/coasts, nature and food.

If you had 4 days in Bodrum and then 4 days in Antalya, what would you do and why?
We will NOT have a car.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 12:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Bodrum area is good for food, especially at Tuzla, yalikavak and Golturkbuku. Without a car you would be limited to sea activities, gulet cruises in bodrum, traveling to the different areas in search of the best food by dolmus/minibus.

Antalya itself is also not the best city for your tastes, and without a car, you would be quite distant from the big outdoors.

East of Antalya, Side, on the coast and Manavgat, inland, have both beach and white water rafting at Koprulu Canyon, with waterfalls and hikes. Also, you would be partially on ancient ruins and close to two other major antique sites at Aspendos and Perge if you stay at Side.

west of Antalya, beldibi, goynuk, kemer, tekirova, cirali and olympos have young mountains coming down to the sea covered with pine forests. there are some antique sites, jeep safaris, hiking, trekking, rafting. Some of these resorts are quiet and reasonably priced. some have bigger and more expensive hotels and holiday villages.

both of these areas have more standard fare in terms of food. There are no famous restaurants in the region, except for a few within the old fortress in Antalya and at some of the five to seven star hotels.

A visit to Heraklia (Kapikiri village) on lake bafa, about an hour to 90 minutes from Bodrum, would be interesting. You can get a guide there to take you on a hike to some prehistoric cavemen drawings or a thousand year old monastery. The scenery is very exotic, it is a bird sanctuary and depending on the season and your luck, you may be able to find up to sixty varieties of orchid.

Another interesting trivia is a famous boxer of the Karia region won the olympics without hitting anyone or being hit, just by fancy footwork, apparently, in the first century AD.
(i guess that's who Mohammed Ali tried to emulate)

Near Antalya, an interesting mountain hike is the antique city of Termessos, with the amphitheatre almost on the summit of the high mountain. However, without a car, you would have to take a tour to get there.

The best open buffet near Antalya is at either of two of the club meds, palmiye and Kemer. (the Beldibi Club Med is not as nice as the others)

The most interesting valley is Cirali, which is a unique eco-system.

the most interesting site, besides Termesos is the never-ending fires of the Chimerra at Olympos.

the headiest aroma is the one from the pine trees between beldibi and tekirova.

the best beaches are at Side.

the quietest resort is Cirali

the youngest resort is Olympos.

the most expensive resort is Belek

Now you can write your essay yourself.

Actually, i would just go to club Med Kemer and take a few excursions from there to Olympos, Phaeselis and maybe Termessos. but then i have done the whole area more than ten times, and i am at my age.