Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 days between Venice and Turin... in winter....where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a four day gap in our itinerary, between leaving Venice and arriving in Turin. How best can we spend the time? We have teenage boys, so I'm afraid the museum / gallery type of experience isn't what we need. What is there of interest along the route,(bearing in mind it will be the middle of winter), where should we stay, can it all be done by train or should we hire a car? Is it still worth visiting the lakes? Is there anything in Milan apart from the shopping and the museums?
All suggestions gratefully received.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 01:33 AM

Ozgal - Why not take a detour into the mountains? The Dolomites in winter are wonderful!

Alternatively you could plan a few days on Lake Como. There is a spectacular mountain railway (Bernina Express) into Switzerland from nearby Tirano. When are you going? I spent a lovely week on Lake Como in February ...

Or Lake Garda. Or Verona.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Steve, we had considered the Dolomites, but as we are having a week skiing at Courmayeur we thought we might give it a miss - also we'll be there at a very expensive time of year (straight after new year, I believe that is a national holiday season).

We were interested in seeing the Lakes, but most people seem to rave about the water sports, which won't be of much interest to us at that time of year. Is it worth a few days there just for the scenery, or the non-water activities? If we take the train, is it easy enough to get around?

Thanks
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Bootman4U

We just returned from the mid-Lake Como area and thought the scenery alone was pretty great, and relaxing and never did anything more than take the ferry to various places [in terms of water sports]. The problems with this might be two-fold...a lot of the hotels close between November and March although some of the larger ones around Como stay open all year. Second..keeping the kids occupied...staring at and relaxing by the lake are great for a day or two for adults but with restless teenagers I'm not sure this will work.
Another possibilty would be taking the train through the Dolomites via Verona into Austria and even to Munich (do the kids like castles???)..you can easily get to Munich in a day from Venice on the train..or at least into Western Austria (Innsbruck) and then another day through more scenery back from Munich to Turin.
Again, don't know if any of this would work for you what with the children..but just some thoughts...hope it all works out.

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 04:47 AM

I think you could find enough of interest around the lakes to fill 4 days - even in winter.

If you stay on Lake Como, besides the lake towns you'd have easy access to Switzerland (e.g. Lugano, San Moritz ...) as well as Milan and other places of interest as day-trips.

(If your sons are interested in football, there are top games every weekend in Milan).

Similarly on Lake Garda you could use the ferries around the lake, or day-trip to Verona, Trento (castle), Bolzano (Ice-Man museum) ...

Some lake towns might be quiet as Bootman says, - but you're never far from a city. Both areas would be good for hiking, I think (- especially northern Lake Garda).

Hope this helps ...

Steve