4-5 Day Trip

Jun 13th, 2001, 09:26 AM
Jackie Sacus

4-5 Day Trip

My husband and I are looking to plan a quick get away to Europe in Decemeber. Can anyone suggest a city or region that would lend itself to such a trip -- where we wouldn't feel like we were missing out by taking such a sort trip. We have visited London and Paris several times so would be interested in something else. Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks

Jun 13th, 2001, 09:53 AM
Julie

Barcelona and the Catalunya region would be great. Or Andalucia. Great architecture (especially Gaudi's work in Barcelona), good food and wine, music.

Jun 13th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Ess

What a fortunate position to be in! How hard to make a decision! If it were me, I'd probably go to Dublin, for the relatively short, easy flight over. You only have a short time and don't want to wear yourself out getting there. But in my heart of hearts, I'd love to visit Copenhagen. Ever since I saw the travel deals to Copenhagen last winter I've had a yen to see it in the snowy season - it looked so cheerful!

Jun 13th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Rex

Lisbon.

Jun 13th, 2001, 11:04 AM
Pedro

It depends on the weather you like, but for the amount of interesting sights and the time you have these might be some of them:

-Sevilla & day trip to Ronda

-Florence & day trip to Siena

-Barcelona

-Lisbon

-Rome

-Dublin

-Copenhague

-Berlín & day trip to Postdam or Dresden

-Granada & Alpujarras & skiing

-Vienna, Praha, Krakow or Budapest ( a bit cold though ).

-Brugge-Gend-Antwerp

-Napoli Bay

Jun 13th, 2001, 11:07 AM
John

Venice!

We had a wonderful 4 night stay last month. Plenty of time to see it all and soak it up.

Jun 13th, 2001, 11:11 AM
Ursula

In December, apart Paris and London, I would most probably choose Vienna.

Jun 13th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Marilyn Ham

My choice would be Rome. It's wonderful.

Jun 13th, 2001, 02:56 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

This is December--the obvious answer to me is Munich and Salzburg--have fun !

Jun 13th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Pedro

Munich, great suggestion, Bob. I would add an odd destination if your plans do not go exclusively for cities and like warm weather and absolutely beautiful landscapes: Lanzarote Island ( Canary Islands )

Jun 13th, 2001, 03:52 PM
John

My three suggestions (all cold and miserable, but that's December for you) would be Copenhagen, Amsterdam, or Edinburgh. A car is a burden in all of them, they're all a good size where you can make a dent in the things there are to do or see in 4 or 5 days, and they're all really alive in December. Not a lot of daylight, mind.

Plan B would be Menton/Monaco/Nice. Actually, Plan B doesn't sound too bad, either.

Jun 13th, 2001, 04:53 PM
Bob

We did Bavaria 5 Thanksgivings in a row. The Christmas fairs are running in the small towns and the snow in the mountains is beautiful.

Fly into Frankfurt. Visit Heidelberg for a night as it is easy drive from airport. Then head to Rothenburg for 2 nights and on the Garmisch if you have the time.

You will have cold weather, but some beautiful sunny days if you are lucky. The summer crowds are gone and the restaurants want to see you.

Great trip! You can do the sun stuff anytime. Salzburg and Munich also fun that time of the year.