Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Composition of Algarve tourists in August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 05:38 AM
Richard

Can anybody who has been to the Alrgarve in August provide an idea of the general makeup of the tourists that visit (i.e. what countries as well as age range)?

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 06:41 AM
cynthia

I have never been but understand that many Aussies go there in the summer to escape their winter.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 08:35 AM
Ursula

Richard: The Algarve is also very popular with Europeans, especially golfers. It's a rather upscale area, so people in general are 30+

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 09:42 AM
Pedro

I would remark the presence of Scandinavian seniors escaping from their scarcely sunny winter. Do not think Aussies are really a crowd there. Mostly Europeans.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Pedro

Population in August changes respect of winter and you would probably see lots of German, British, Dutch, Scandinavians and specially Spanish.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 04:05 AM
linda

Is the Algarve more family oriented or young and party oriented? <BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 04:11 AM
Pedro

It definitely depends on the area <BR> <BR>Young/party: Albufeira area <BR>Both: Lagos <BR>Family: the rest

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Luis

You're forgetting the biggest tourist group in the Algarve in August! The Portuguese! Yes, it's true, over 2 million Portuguese from the cities up North, come to the Algarve for a small holiday... <BR>Anyway...Algarve in August is really bad. too crowded. let me just say that The Algarve has a population of 300 Thousand and in August the population rises to about 3 million. September or June are much better to visit! <BR> <BR>Luis, Portugal

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 03:30 PM
Pedro

I know well Algarve region and agree with you hundred per cent, Luis.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 04:59 PM
susanne

We were the only Americans staying in our hotel in Lagos in July last summer. <BR>The hotel hung flags of all nations but ours, and told us that not too many americans ever stayed there, which surprised us. We rented two vans as we were grandparents, parents and children traveling together. Roads are fine, people are immensely kind and helpful. We drove all over the area and used Lagos as our base. The only thing that disappointed us was how cold the water was. You could barely stick your feet in it. However this did not stop anyone else. Many many europeans, and basically a really mixed bag as far as ages.