3weeks italy may

Search

3weeks italy may

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2024, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3weeks italy may

found good business class fares from clt to linate next may. trying to figure out an itinterary. have been to rome florence venice sorrento pompei years ago, was in montepulciano, siena, ct for 2 weeks sept 2021 and last summer 3 weeks bologna, turiin, langhe and lake orta.loved langhe region but not the driving.

just turned 60 and realized i like being able to walk to restaurants for dinner rather than drive at night. ok with driving during day.

obviously have not been down south to sicily and puglia but these seem to be the darlings these days which concerns me as I try to get somewhat off the beaten path.

any suggestions? know this is a very broad based question but hoping for some areas that are new to us. thanks

Old Jun 25th, 2024, 11:57 AM

This is a bit too broad to answer. What are your and your spouse's interests? What kind of vacation do you want (i.e. active with hiking?, more relax than active? Beach?) Any particular scenery? Art? Small towns? Larger cities?

Will you be flying round-trip from Linate?

What 3 weeks? Early May? Later?

Old Jun 25th, 2024, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Hi. I understand. It would be the last 3 weeks of May it seems but I havent booked it yet. Husband has some knee issues so nothing too hard re: hiking. Same for tons of steps. We like walking alot and he's not a big beach person ((I am!) but would be too cold to swim.

as I have gotten older I really don't like driving at night or in super rural (read narrow curvy roads) but know we will have to do that for a portion of the trip.

We have loved all our Italy trips thus far bc they are all different with various activities. I dont' want a tour adn I don't want a private driver (but would do this for a few separate transfers.)

Yes we like large and medium cities (and some small towns), museums too. beautirul scenery. a bit of relaxing as we take trips rather than vacations...

Old Jun 25th, 2024, 07:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Umbria. Nice mix of large-ish and smaller towns, scenic drives, a university town (Perugia), an antique market (Arezzo, just inside Tuscany), Lake Trasimeno. Easy driving.

FYI, sunset would be around 8:30 p.m. in Umbria. Later if you stayed north.

FYI#2, if you haven't been to Milan, you could easily spend a couple of days there.
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 10:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Marche is still a bit quiet at times
Old Jun 27th, 2024, 03:01 AM

May is the best time of year for everywhere! I'd go to Puglia though, if you haven't been. Puglia is overrun with Italian tourists in June July August. In May you'll find tourists in Lecce, daytrippers in Alberobello, and very few tourists elsewhere. We went in May a couple of years ago and it was fantastic.
https://slowtravelitalyspain.blogspo...uglia.html?m=1
Old Jun 27th, 2024, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Puglia and Sicily are on my list but worried about the crowds since White Lotus. So May shouldn't be too bad? I know I'd need a car for the majority of the trip though...
Old Jun 27th, 2024, 08:52 AM

Maybe these recent TRs will give you an idea. The travelers indicated they went to these places in May or posted recently to May.

Sicily:
Sun, Sea(food) and Spectacular Antiquities: Two Weeks in Sicily (May 2024)

Puglia:
Puglia, Gargano, Matera: Oh, My!!!

Both:
Southern Italy and Sicily May, 2024

White Lotus was primarily filmed in Sicily and it was a hotspot before the show. Puglia has become popular, but not necessarily because of the HBO crowd.
Old Jun 27th, 2024, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in Puglia (and Basilicata) last May and while it is far from "undiscovered," it wasn't crowded. I visited Sicily so many years ago that I can't speak to current crowds, and we went March/April so it wasn't busy..

Le Marche, Abruzzo--both lovely and not overtouristed.

For any of these areas, I would rent a car. Like you, I don't like driving dark country roads at night, so I stay in towns with enough restaurants and take day trips to smaller places.

None of these options are all that close to LIN, though.
Old Jun 27th, 2024, 12:23 PM

We went to Sicily in the second half of April 2022 and it wasn’t crowded at all, the weather was also gorgeous and we had a splendid time.

We spent Thanksgiving week in Rome last year and I was stunned at the crowds, it was unbelievable! Maybe it’s just luck of the draw..
Old Jun 28th, 2024, 01:00 PM

Plambers: Good to "hear" from you.

May is a great time.
Do not worry about "the White Lotus effect", as that would be confined to Taormina which, in my opinion, you can skip.
Nowadays hotel prices in that town are so out of control, even in their off season, I will put in in the "leave it for another time" category.
I can get a top hotel in Rome for less than I would pay for a good hotel in Taormina.

Places you should NOT skip, in the south, include:
MATERA (side trip or overnight in TURSI if you want a fantastic, undiscovered southern small town, unique)

SE Sicily: RAGUSA
Possibly: CATANIA and Siracusa area

Western Sicily: PALERMO and Trapani

But as for Sicily, just let those be bases, and explore the surroundings towns of each of those cities/towns.

And then there is PUGLIA.....divide this region into three areas....north (Andria province, etc); the Murge; the Salento

Just a few places to read about......see what appeals.....sorry this post is quick so not well thought out....let's where where it goes and I can chime in if I am familiar with the places mentioned.

How important is food in this equation?
Hotel budgets?

And a big (SI!) to Abruzzo......yes, yes, yes!

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Jun 28th, 2024 at 01:04 PM.
Old Jul 1st, 2024, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Leely, thanks. I know these locations are not close to LIN so assume we will have to fly from LIN to whereever we will start our next adventure. Thanks for Abruzzo idea. Wasn't on my agenda. I have been reading many trip reports (it's where I always look for inspriration or ideas) but am just confused about if car is needed and how bad driving will be.
Old Jul 1st, 2024, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

EK, I have missed chatting with you! I was just on Long Island visiting my family. My oldest daughter just graduated college and she and I just returned from a 3.5 week trip to Japan and Korea. After our African safaris, this was the best trip we have ever taken.

As you know, food is always very important to me. Lodging not as important-I want a good bed and pillow, good linens, strong shower and central location. I don't need a 5 star hotel. Am fine renting an Ailrbnb for a washer on occasion. I read your Siciily report and noted the drivers name. I would not want a driver every day but love that one could get me from destination to destination.

Just booked flight rt to Linate May 1-21 so will look at your suggestions above. Thanks as always.
Old Jul 1st, 2024, 06:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Driving is pretty good in Italy it is parking that is the problem. I travel there a lot and avoid the use of a car whenever possible. Trains, long distance coaches (Pullman) are just so easy while the ZTL (look it up) in many small towns make being responsible for a car a real PITA.

Start off with rome2rio for you journeys, travel light and Italy is suddenly a simple wonderful place to get around. Taxis are relatively cheap and well managed.
Old Jul 1st, 2024, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi. We have been to Italy many times (10 weeks to various places) and we have driven adn somehow managed to escape the dreaded ZTLs. Trying to figuire out where to go this time...
Old Jul 1st, 2024, 05:44 PM

plambers, I did a report (sort of) on Hungry Onion after my Puglia trip last May. Food/dining is important to me when I travel, though I am not as obsessed as eks.

[ETA: I realize this came across as a me-too type comment. Just wanted to share that Puglia offers some terrific food options. But of course, every region does!]

Last edited by Leely2; Jul 1st, 2024 at 05:55 PM.
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

can you send link to your report by chance please? no offense taken at all!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 03:31 PM

plambers, I am a pretty bad food reporter, but here it is:
https://www.hungryonion.org/t/the-be...a-puglia/34605

Trip was Naples-Matera-Monopoli-Locorotondo-Lecce-Bari (just one night in Bari before a flight the next morning, although I would stay longer in the future).
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

omg-the food looks so delicious! was the food in this area some of your favorite in italy? the langhe had the best food in our 3 week trip last summer but interestingly, the lunches were weak but dinners fantastic! also some (but not all) great dinners in bologna and turin.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 04:00 PM

plambers, the food was uniformly terrific (I did have a few duds in Monopoli, one because I ordered poorly). I can't really pick a favorite Italian regional cuisine, though Puglia is up there for sure. I didn't think I was a "bread person" and then I went to Matera and on to Puglia. There's some amazing bread down that way!

Luckily/unluckily, I seem to find plenty of delicious food every Italian region. I will say Tuscan cooking is not my favorite.

Last edited by Leely2; Jul 3rd, 2024 at 04:05 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -