Search

30th Anniversary Trip--Cotswolds and Bath

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30th Anniversary Trip--Cotswolds and Bath

Hello!

It is my parents 30th anniversary next June and my siblings and I want to plan a trip for them and give it to them as a combo christmas/anniversary gift in December. My mom has mentioned that she has always wanted to travel to the Cotswolds in England so I thought it would be nice to send them there for about a week. I am in the very early stages of planning it. They will most likely travel in July or August. My sisters wedding is in June so that wont work. We have gone to London before but only got to see the city...we did not do any day trips to nearby sites (i.e. Stonehenge, Oxford, Bath, etc.) therefore I thought it would be good to use Bath as home base for 3 nights to see sites around there before staying in the Cotswolds for 3-4 nights. Does this sounds reasonable? Is there enough to see in that amount of days? Which town should they stay in the Cotswolds? Also can this be done by public transportation easily...I dont think they will want to drive a car? My dad also enjoys golfing so if there is a good (and reasonably priced) golf course in the area that would be helpful as well. Any recommendations of sites to see and places to stay would be helpful. Thanks!!
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 08:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Wonderful of you to do this for your parents.

Yes, there is more than enough to see to fill that time.

You say they won't want to drive - do you know that for sure? A car is not needed/wanted in Bath but to touring the Cotswolds is MUCH easier by car. Driving in the Cotswolds is not difficult.

You say a week - will that be the total trip? If they could squeeze out 10 days they could spend maybe 3 days in London, 2 full days in Bath (which is enough to see most everything in the city) and 4 or 5 days in the Cotswolds. Only renting a car for the Cotswolds part.

Where in the Cotswolds will partly depend on if they have a car or not. There is little rail service, and local buses work better from a few 'hubs' (but still aren't terribly efficient)

My favorite town would be Burford -- but I would not recommend it w/o a car.
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 08:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
lovely idea like JJ says - your folks are very lucky to have such generous kids.

if a car were completely out of the question, they could possibly base themselves in Oxford or Stratford and do day trips by coach but it wouldn't be the same.

Especially if golf is required [what's your mum going to do while your dad is playing, BTW?] staying in a swish hotel with a golf course attached would be a lovely way to see the Cotswolds [depending on the budget of course] but again to get the best out of that, a car would be desirable if not absolutely necessary

this might give you a few ideas:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...28927177774039

another option would be a car with a driver, but that would bump the cost up.

if you are going to add London into the mix as suggested by JJ, I would suggest putting that at the end so they are well positioned for going home.

finally, July and August are peak times for holidays in the UK as it is the summer school hols then, so don't leave it too long to get booking.
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 10:08 AM
NE

What a great gift for your parents . My husband and I were in London and the Cotswolds to celebrate our 30th anniversary just last year . I agree with Janisj that a car makes it much easier to experience the Cotswolds . I believe it was Janisj who gave me fabulous advice of renting a car in Moreton in Marsh (walking distance to the train station) and off we went to Burford . It wasn't too difficult to adjust to driving on the 'other' side and we were able to see so much more in the four days that we were there . So definitely worth considering .
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies...a car is not out of the question and it does seem like if they dont have one they will be more limited. If you think that is easy to learn driving on the other side of the road then a car sounds doable.

In response to extending their trip, it is possible for their schedules just adding more to days to the trip will make it more expensive for us. We were trying to stick to a weeklong trip (not including travel time to/from U.S.). If they really want to extend it, they definitely can themselves. I am making sure everything refundable just in case the dates dont work for some reason so there is the possibility for extending it. I am just get a gift card for an airline for the flight costs for this reason.
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 11:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If they ont want to include London then a week (9 days total inllund flights) is totally doable.

Fly into LHR , express coach to Bath, 2 days/nights there, pick up car and drive up into the Cotswolds , 4 or 5 nights there, drive to LHR, fly out.

A lovely week.