Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

30 Hours in Barcelona - Where would you stay, what would you do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2004, 05:38 PM
mlr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the end of twelve days in the south of France and cruising the Med for our 25th wedding anniversary, we find ourselves (for the first time) in Barcelona for 30 hours (not near enough, I know). Where should we stay and what MUST we do?
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:59 AM

ttt
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:31 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Just got home last night and am still confused hemisphere-wise, but have to put an immediate plug in for the Hotel Condes de Barcelona, right on P. Gracia in the middle of things; Gaudi a block in either direction, metro ditto, buses to Park Guell at the door. Indside sleek, modern but in a fine heritage building. Got a good price on Expedia, much less than cruiseline all-ins paid I think.

As for what to do, hell, just walk around - Rambla, Gaudi architecture, Gothic quarter, eat, drink, shop... it's a city that just can't be consumed in 30 hours or 30 months. If I had to say two "don't misses," they would be Gaudi's Casa Batllo on Passeig de Gracia, and the Palau de la Musica, a couple of blocks east of Pl. de Catalunya in the Gothic Quarter. But you just can't go wrong.
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:33 AM

Barcelona has great open air buses you can get on and off with different routes like the blue line and red line. We stayed in the Las Ramblas area and toured around the various Gaudi sites which are really quite spectacular if you like architecture.
Old May 5th, 2004, 06:05 AM

If you have only 30 hours it's indeed probably best to take the tour bus. At least you'll get an idea of what there is to be seen and you can spend more time at the places you like.
What's your budget for your stay? Do you like charming or design places?
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:03 AM
mlr
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. As far as budget, would like to keep it under $250 U.S. Since we will be spending very little time in our room, would love to find a smaller, clean three star in the Las Ramblas area. And from what I gather from these posts and others, our best bet is to just start walking and enjoy!