3 weeks to see everything

Dec 28th, 2000, 09:29 AM
Bill

3 weeks to see everything

Yep...I'm going to Switzerland. I plan to begin travel the first part of September for approximately three weeks. My wife and I will travel with another couple who has spent some time there. They are suggesting to visit Geneve, Zermatt, Lugano, Sankt Moritz and Luzern. I thought that instead of spending all of the time in Switzerland, perhaps swinging through Paris and London would be nice...Any thoughts for someone who has never been to Europe?

Dec 28th, 2000, 09:32 AM
Uklie

Three weeks in Switzerland alone might be a bit too much. Gee, in three weeks you can do London, Paris, and all of Switzerland. Budget your time right and you could also throw in the Bavarian part of Germany and other parts of France.

Dec 28th, 2000, 09:32 AM
Uklie

Three weeks in Switzerland alone might be a bit too much. Gee, in three weeks you can do London, Paris, and all of Switzerland. Budget your time right and you could also throw in the Bavarian part of Germany and other parts of France.

Dec 28th, 2000, 09:41 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi,

If you are into hiking at all, get a good book on hiking in the Alps - September should still be a good time to go. I thought it was absolutely beautiful - I stayed in Interlaken & hiked near there.

I would second going to Germany or even Northern Italy...

Beth

Dec 28th, 2000, 09:59 AM
Al Godon

Bill, if you get a move on, you can include Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich, Berlin, Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg as well. With 3 weeks, and the intent to see it all, you are leaving out quite a bit. Even the above list leaves out Madrid, Rome, Amsterdam, Brugges and Hamburg.

Frankly, 3 weeks in the Alps constitutes a good introduction. And you will not see it all -- even in 3 weeks.
Afterall, until you cross the Sefinenfurka and the Höhturli, you haven't explored the Berner Oberland. You might have gazed at the snowy peaks, but you have not gotten to know them.

Dec 28th, 2000, 10:03 AM
gogo

Al, you left out Brussels, Strasbourg and Lyon. What the hell is wrong with you don't you know how to travel?

Dec 28th, 2000, 10:55 AM
s

Bill,
Yes, everyone has an opinion . . . and here's mine:

1. Skip the larger cities of Geneva and Lugano and go to their smaller neighbors, Montreux or Vevey on Lake Geneva and Ascona or Locarno on Lake Maggiore. Both Geneva and Lugano suffer from their size and leave little to offer a traveller in search of French-Swiss or Italian-Swiss flavor.

2. Zermatt is a good choice if you need to see the Matterhorn once in your life. It's over-rated in my opinion -- the town is overcrowded w/hotels, and the weather is much more blustery & cold than the mountain villages of the Berner Oberland. From Lucerne, it's an easy hop to Grindelwald, Wengen, or Muerren.

September should be a perfect time to visit. There are vineyards between Lausanne & Vevey, and they usually have a wine festival in Sept.

As for your time schedule, it's difficult to know what will make the best impression for you. I like to stay in one place for 5-6 days to soak up the scenery and get the mood of the place. So planning 4 nights each in Lucerne, Grindelwald, St Moritz, Ascona, and Montreux (fly out of Geneva) would easily fill your 21 days.

Here are some website for your entertainment & planning:

www.twenj.com - a personal travel site
www.montreux.ch
www.vevey.ch
www.grindelwald.ch
www.lakelucerne.ch
www.lucerne.org
www.rail.ch - for rail fares & schedules
www.ascona.ch

Feel free to e-mail me for more specific information.

s

Dec 28th, 2000, 01:44 PM
patrizia

This is from someone who grew up in Europe...it all depends on what your purpose is for going to Europe...You will not be able to "see" cities if you don't spend quality time there. However, 3 weeks in Switzerland does seem a little bit extreme...the cities you mentioned are gorgeous. I would try Interlaaken as well and while you're there take the train ride to the top of the jungfrau!! Well worth it but a bit pricey!!!! I would recommend Northern Italy (Lago Maggiore and Lago Como) and maybe the Black Forest (in Germany) or Bavaria....if you plan to go to Paris, then plan on spending a good 4 days there to see everything!

Dec 28th, 2000, 01:47 PM
patrizia

Oh, and Strasbourg is good but better during the Christmas season...and Brussels beautiful...but hey, you'll never be able to visit all the cities you want....just plan a trip a year....Heck, I just went to Paris for the first time last year and I grew up there for 10 years.

Dec 28th, 2000, 03:09 PM
annemarie

In '92, we actually "did" some of Europe in 3 weeks. It is doable although a lot of people will tell you that it is a rush, but for first timers it gives one a good overview. We flew into Frankfurt and out of Paris. I like the suggestion of doing the Switzerland, Bavaria, Austria area. Rick Steves books on Europe...the 2 to 22 days series...are great and we used them faithfully. Good luck!

Dec 28th, 2000, 06:10 PM
Jerry Yares

Bill: Easy! Just take the Rick Steves Europe Through The Back Door tour. Switzerland plus the high spots. 26 people in a 50 person bus, two terrific guides, good food, good hotels, and everything is included. I have no connection with the Steves organization, just that my wife and I took the tour last September and had a great time. So great that we're going back, this time to Provence in an Untours self-catering apartment. Do yourself a favor and send for Rick's free video. Everything in it is true!