3 weeks in Germany/Belgium

May 17th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

3 weeks in Germany/Belgium

Is this a reasonable itinerary? We will have a car.
I have the opportunity to spend 3 weeks in Germany from mid september through early october. We will be staying 10 days with my friend's sister in Munich and plan to take day trips to (1)Fussen, (2)Berchtesgaden or Salzburg or both, (3) Lindau, (4)Zugspitze, (5)Oberammegau and Linderhof, (6) Chiemsee, (7) Regensburg, as well as several days for Munich

day 11 - Nurnburg and/or Bamburg enroute to overnight in Rothenburg
day 12 Rotherburg and Worzburg, overnight in Rothenburg
Day 13 Rhine Valley - possible short boat trip Bacharach to St. Goar, overnight St., Goar
day 14 Eltz, overnight Cochem
day 15 - not at all sure - enroute to Brugge maybe spend a bit of time in Trier or Luxemburg - where to stay between Cochem and Brugge?
day 16 Hastiere, Beloeil driving on to Brugge for overnight
day 17, 18 Brugge
day 19 Koln
day 20 fly home from Frankford

Thank you for any suggestions for this itinerary.
Also, We have places to stay in Munich and Brugge, but would like suggestions for cheap B&Bs in the other locations.
Kath
May 17th, 2007, 05:28 PM

It seems like a lot of time in the car to me. Also lots of time checking into/out of hotels.

I enjoyed my stay at Haus Karin in Rothenburg, it is a clean B&B just outside the wall.

Check it out at: http://www.haus-karin.de/engl.htm

May 17th, 2007, 08:32 PM

Here's a reasonable pension in Cocham. We stayed there last spring. Great breakfast.

http://www.pension-hendriks.de/
May 18th, 2007, 11:01 AM

You can drive straight to Brugge from Cochem which is what we did last year then use the extra day for an extra day in the Mosel which is lovely. The Rhine boat trip is pedestrian so you would have to return to Bacharach to retrieve your car? Why not see Bamburg on way to Rothenburg then have two nights in Rothenburg? Like dutch, I think your itinerary looks a bit rushed and involves lots of hotel hopping and driving.
May 18th, 2007, 04:37 PM

Yes. A lot of driving. You may want to catch the weekend fireworks and wine festivals that take place along the Rhine during September in different towns. Trier is quite nice.

Not sure why you want to drive all that. A car is handy for Burg Eltz if you don't want to do the 45-min. walk through the forest from Moselkern, but your route is otherwise well served by train. I don't see the point of a car at all in Brugge, where it will sit idle, or Cologne, which is a traffic mess, really. Your itinerary is so tight that you don't have much time for impromptu car wanderings anyway.

Have a good trip.
May 18th, 2007, 06:10 PM

It can be done, but this is much too much driving. You will have no time to see anything interesting along the way--and there will be a great deal.

Enjoy yhe sights but stop to smell the roses.

GTG
May 18th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your input, but I'm having a hard time with this.
The first ten days we will be staying at the home of my friend's sister in Munich. From her home we would do as many or as few as we like of the day trips mentioned. Maybe quite a bit of driving but using the opportunity for a family visit and also explore the area (my friend has been there several times and its my first trip to Germany...the suggestions of places to see from Munich base were theirs. Its also Oktoberfest in Munich so we may not do all those other daytrips.

Then we have 5 days before we are committed to be in Brugge for 2 days.

we planned 2 nights in Rothenburg, seeing Nurnburg or Bamberg enroute, and maybe seeing Wurzburg and Rothenburg the next day.

Would it be better to spend 3 nights in one town rather than staying in seperate places as we progress towards Brugge?

The first ten days we are committed to Munich. Then we have 5 days before we have to be in Brugge for 2 days, one more free day, then we are flying from Frankford. We got a great deal in air - about a third of what it would have cost to fly into Munich and out of Brugge, so the driving from Frankford to Munich to Brugge to Frankford is unavoidable.With the time commitments we have we thoguht driving would be a better option than trains. Trying to figure out where to stay and how to best use our time is the dilemma.