Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If I want to use FF miles to go to Switzerland and France in May/June how soon do I need to book the tickets?

If I want to use FF miles to go to Switzerland and France in May/June how soon do I need to book the tickets?

May 18th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

I'm pretty new to the whole ff award ticket situation so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

As of right now we are looking at spending our time in Switzerland and the Burgundy region of France and will probably fly into Milan (to go to the lakes) and out of Lyon if possible. I don't mind booking right away but DH wants to wait in case we change our minds on where we want to go. I see comments on here about people booking their flights 330 days out, so I'm just worried that if we wait too long there won't be any awards seats left in the time frame that we want to go. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any/all advice or suggestions!
Tracy
May 18th, 2007, 09:53 AM

I have been told 11 months.
May 18th, 2007, 09:58 AM

Assuming you mean May/June 2008 you can't book any sooner than 330 days out. The airlines don't load their schedules into their res systems earlier than that.

If you mean May/June 2007 you're cutting it a little tight.
May 18th, 2007, 10:07 AM

First, check and see what the fee is for changing a FF ticket on your airline. If it is reasonable, book the tickets as soon as you can.

I fly Delta and they used to release all tickets 331 days in advance. Recently, they have stopped releasing coach tickets for the route I need to take (London to Cincinnati). They only release business that far in advance and they may or may not ever release the coach. So if you can get your hands on coach tickets, by all means I would snap them up and pay the fee later (which $50 on Delta) if something else better opens up that you would rather do.
May 18th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice. We are thinking of next year and DH thinks its more than okay to wait until October or November to book them.

We are used to traveling during more off-peak times where there are usually more tickets available, and I guess he's just used to that. We used FF miles in March to get awards tickets to Japan in October, but October is off-season so I'm assuming that's why our seats were available.

We are always floating ideas around on where to go for vacation so this is why he's hesitant on booking them. I will check into the change fees and probably wait until early June and then go ahead and book them if the change fees aren't too ridiculous.

Thanks!
Tracy
May 18th, 2007, 04:41 PM

Also, see about waitlisting flights at the time of booking. I've been told by friends who have done this that you don't have to pay the fee if the waitlist clears and you make that later change. Don't know if it's true, but it can't hurt to try!
May 18th, 2007, 06:41 PM

I start 331 days in advance to get FF tickets to anywhere in Europe during 'high season' - may thru october.
May 18th, 2007, 07:03 PM

I just got back from France, and had booked my FF miles ticket (American) to Paris last October. Even then, I had to leave a week earlier than I had wanted. However, American only has one direct flight to Paris from Miami and back, and I particularly wanted that flight. Anyway, I'd do it at least 8 months out.