Reload this Page >

3 Weeks In Germany

Search

3 Weeks In Germany

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 1996, 05:21 PM
Gene Kasprzyk

3 Weeks In Germany

Best preserved Medieval city is Rothenber-ob-der-Tauber on the Romantic Road not too far from Nuremberg. Rent a car and be aggressive on the autobahn. Best beer hall in Munich is Mathauser's. Get to Neuschwanstein early in the morning to avoid the crowds. A long walk up to the schloss, consider taking the carriages if not in decent physical condition. Don,t miss the Wieskirche, not too far from Neuschwanstein... on the way if travelling from Munich. Consider staying in Garmisch-Partenkirchen - Hotel Fraundorfer is fabulous and moderately priced (US$100.00/night)- also have a Bavarian restaurant and nightly Bavarian entertainment. Might want to drive the alpenstrausse to Salzberg from Garmisch. Also if you are into fun side trips check out the Sommerodelbahn (summer luge) just outside of Ruette, Austria (across the border from Neuschwanstein).

The Munich subway is on the honor system. You don't need a ticket to get on but, caught w/o one and you are fined immediately. Its an excellent system, though. Consider leaving car at hotel and riding the U-Bahn. Residenz is better than Nymphenberg in my opinion. Magnificent art at the Alte Pinhoutek, a must art museum. Fabulous German engineering on display at the Deutches Museum. Hofbrahaus is fun but overrated. Better beer at Mathauser's. Excellent Beer hall just a couple blocks from train station but name eludes me. Prices are steep in and around the Marienplatz. Very touristy but a must of course. I prefer the peasant food at the BeerHalls myself.

If you go to Rotheburg don't miss the Criminal museum. Fabulous exhibition of punishment devices from Medieval times. Iron Maiden, drunkard's barrel, stocks, pillory, etc.

you will have a fabulous time. Don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Old Dec 17th, 1996, 02:03 PM
Brian Beutel

Thanks a lot, the areas you mentioned seem very nice to visit. I'll be sure to try to check them all out.

-Brian Beutel

Old Dec 21st, 1996, 05:13 PM
Joe Ferris

I agree with the comments that have been given. I also would recommend visiting Oberamergau when you are on the castle trip. The other castle to see is Linderhof.

Old Dec 25th, 1996, 07:44 AM
Rick

When your done in Nurnberg you may want to go to Wurzburg, about 100km north on the autobahn about 50 min. depending on how fast you drive. If you`ve never been on the autobahn before 90mph is slow!!! Once in Wurzburg you`ll find the Festung fortress overlooking the whole city.
The Residence is another Palace worth looking at especially if you like gardens this place has a wonderful one in the middle of the city.
There is plenty of shopping to be done in the area as well as excellent food. Don`t be surpised at being able to buy beer at Mcdonalds.
I agree with earlier postings Royhenberg is a worth while trip it is the oldest walled city in Germany. The Linderhof Schloss a must see , it`s a small castle but very ornate with gold statues and fontains. I also believe the is an cave that King Ludwig used as a concert hall and play house due to the great acustics.
I lived for 3 years in the Wurzburg area there is alot to see but so little time.
I would take some time to learn the German currencey and the use of exchange rates before you went.
Have a great trip!!!

Old Dec 25th, 1996, 04:43 PM
Brian Beutel

Thanks all, the areas you both mentioned seemed like choice places to visit. Do any of you know any good inns or restaurants to eat or lodge at? The idea of hostels just don't thrill me! Also, I am currently interested in purchasing a "learn to speak" German program....any good choices?
Thanks Again and happy holidays!
-Brian Beutel

Old Jan 14th, 1997, 03:33 PM
Dennis Holland

Contact the German Tourist office for info. on Pensions, (B&B's) in the various cities. They may gvie you the tourist office addresses, but it's a start. I've been to all of Ludwigs castles and my favorite is Herrnchiemsee on an island in a lake outside Munich (on the way to Innsbruck). You can bring a picnic lunch. The grounds are beautiful and you can walk through the woods and enjoy the view. There is a boat that takes you from the mainland out there and to other islands nearby. A nice day trip.
Dennis Holland