3 weeks drive Paris-Rome

Search

3 weeks drive Paris-Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 weeks drive Paris-Rome

Me, wife and 3 kids are spending 3 nights in Paris at Christmas and then pick up a car. Have to be in Rome 3 weeks later (3 nights there before flying home). Having read many reviews here I am feeling that driving the whole time will be a real pain and that we should perhaps choose a base for 4-5 days and explore an area before moving on...

Any suggested itineraries please? This is my first Europe trip and I am a bit overwhelmed. My thing is ancient history, we don't do wine and have to keep the kids (15,11,8) from dying of boredom.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 04:01 AM
ira

Hi J,

>3 nights in Paris at Christmas....3 nights [Rome] before flying home.<

Is there something that limits your time in these two great cities to only 3 nights?

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

No - I could stay in Paris longer and also arrive in Rome earlier - its just that I have already booked and paid for the car. i could always garage it before I leave Paris and frop it off in Rome early...This is the Europe leg of a RTW trip (Los Angeles, New York, Washington, Helsinki, UK then to Paris) 7 weeks all up...
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:47 PM

What about following the ancient Via Francigena from France to Rome? It was/is a pilgrim route starting in Canterbury going through many interesting towns along the way. I only found out about it when I visited my grandmother's ancestral village that sits right on it, Cassio. Who knew?!

http://www.viafrancigena.com/franc_hp.htm
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, a new option for me and I'd like to pick up part of that trip..Given the weather though i am thinking maybe some time along the Mediterranean coast line for a bit more warmth..
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 04:09 AM

I would add more time to both Paris and Rome, especially the latter if you are interested in ancient history. Before you drop off the car in Rome you could stop outside the city and explore Tarquinia and/or Ceveteri (Etuscan cities)

I am assuming your family isn't interested in skiing or you would have mentioned that.

On the way between Paris and Rome by car, Provence has amazing Roman ruins (orange, Arles, Nimes, Pont du Gard, etc) but weather would be far from ideal there in winter because of the mistral and rain. Your idea of getting to the coast probably makes sense and there are certainly many cities to explore in both France and Italy (and Monaco)
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 04:47 AM
ira

Hi J,

>I have already booked and paid for the car.

I suggest asking the rental company to rebook.

You really ought to to give Paris and Rome a week each.

For your road trip, look at the direct route from Paris to Rome at www.viamichelin.com.

You could go South and then East, or you could go East and then South.

You could go as far as Austria before heading to Italy.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 05:17 AM

I'm sorry to say that I have to question the very premise of this journey...

- You're traveling at a time when the daylight hours are at a minimum.

- You're traveling at a time when the roads can be dangerously slick.

- You're traveling at a time when most, if not all, of the scenic attractions are closed down.

Yes, your feeling is right - driving the whole time will be a real pain. And the kids might die from boredom.

If you must, then head directly to the South of France. Hopefully you'll hit a patch of decent weather (watch the forecast and move quickly if it's favorable).

Then, shoot straight for Rome and beyond - Pompeii, Paestum, etc (for your 'ancient history thing').

Given the circumstances and your purposes, I'd focus on those two regions and skip any and everything in between...
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 05:30 AM

I've already planned a Paris-Rome itinerary which I hope to do within a year, work and money permitting. It's geared around my interests of course, which will differ from other people's, but for what it's worth, here 'tis:

Paris - 5 nights.
Loire Valley (Loches/Montresor?) - 1 night.
Brantome - 1 night - via Angles-sur-l'Anglin/St Benoit-du-Sault/Oradour-sur-Glane/Mortemart.
Sarlat - 5 nights - via St Jean-de-Cole then exploring the Dordogne.
Figeac - 2 nights - explore the Lot & Cele.
St Geniez d'Olt - 1 night - via Conques, Estaing, Espalion, St Eulalie.
Florac - 1 night - via Gorges du Tarn.
Vaison-la-Romaine - 2 nights
St Remy-de-Provence - 5 nights (or 3 nights with 2 nights at Goult) - exploring Luberon, Camargue et al.
Moustiers-St Marie - 1 night.
Nice/Menton - 3 nights - via Gorges du Verdon.
Cinque Terre - 2 nights.
Lucca - 3 nights - trips to Florence &
Pisa.
Sienna - 3 nights - explore Cortona, Montepulciano, Montalcino et al.
Orvieto - 1 night.
Rome - 3 or 4 nights.

The itinerary then carries on up to Spello, Spolito, Assissi, Gubbio, to Venice and around into Croatia - but that's another story.

Not carved in stone of course - there are many potential variations to it, but that's the general gist. Adds up to more than 3 weeks, but nevertheless there may be some useful ideas in it. Hope it helps.

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 05:47 AM

Number one: learn to speak some French. My experience was that outside of tourist spots and hotels, the French were unable/unwilling to speak English. I agree with the other posters about extending time at either end. Paris and Rome are huge cities and deserve at least 4 or 5 days each.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

<I'm sorry to say that I have to question the very premise of this journey...

- You're traveling at a time when the daylight hours are at a minimum.

- You're traveling at a time when the roads can be dangerously slick.

- You're traveling at a time when most, if not all, of the scenic attractions are closed down.>

All true. Unfortunately the trip has to occur around Australian summer school holidays. This is my last opportunity to have a family holiday before my son finishes school and starts Uni..I am using every bit of the older boy's school break and the younger 2 will be missing the last 2 weeks of school for the year....It is our one opportunity for a big family adventure together....Cost wise it is also better for us - we would not be able to afford Europe in peak time...
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 02:11 AM

After thinking about your question a little longer, I am thinking that going East then South, traveling to Germany/Switzerland/Austria then into Italy might be more interesting than the South then East approach. The Alps really are beautiful.
I am not sure I would want to plan a car trip in late December/January but you could travel by train for part of the trip.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

I like this idea. Am stuck with the car having prepaid but I figure I can see the Mediteranean while in Italy...

Is there much ancient history travelling east from paris towards Germany - or elsewhere along this route? I must bear in mind that i will see a lot of the Roman kind in Pompeii and Rome..
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 04:07 PM

There are actually quite a lot of interesting Roman ruins in Germany. Trier was a large Roman city
You can also follow along sections of the Limes, the 550 km long wall built at the northern boundary of the roman empire. There is a reconsructed Roman fort at Saalburg near Frankfurt.
http://www.germany-tourism.de/ENG/de...rasse-id13.htm
I know there are reconstructed prehistoric stone and Bronze Age buildings at Unterlingen on the Bodensee

Bolzano in the Sud Tirol has an archeological museum with Ozi, the "Ice Man" discovered in 1991

These are places I can think of that might interest you. I am sure you would find more if you started to do research.

In Italy, if you go as far south as Pompeii you will also be near Paestum with its spectacular Greek ruins.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

I need to thank those who helped me with this topic. My 3 week drive Paris to Rome Dec/January was an unforgettable experience. As suggested I stayed in Paris an extra night and arrived in Rome for 5 nights instead of the original 5.

Quick report as follows:
Dec 29 Paris to Verdun (2 nights). Cold, misty, light rain. I could feel the soldiers, goose bumps, sadness, the cemetry was extraordinary in the fog, the top of the Ossuary disappearing in the cloud. A very moving expereince, topped by attending Sunday mass in the crypt of the Cathedray Notre Dame in the heart of the old city.

Offenburg (3 nights) Germany- beautiful town, friendly people, no tourist industry to speak of but a good spot to travel to some of the castles and tourist towns in this region. New Year's eve in Germany with the midnight fireworks (banned where I live) will never be forgotten by our children.

Weill en Rein - 2 nights - forgettable

We all came down to Montreaux on the lake Geneva shoreline. I am a 70s kid so had to go here. Stayed right on the lake near the Grand hotel. One of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. 3 nights, last day skiing Chateau d'Oex - not for experts - perfect for a family of 5.

Geona via Mont Blanc tunnel - great day trip.. Genoa sleep only then to San Vincenzo southern coast of Tuscan area. Beautiful staying right on the Mediterranean listening to the waves at night.

By now we have been travellng for 6 weeks and are tired of hotel food and a little culture shocked by Italy. We drive all day to Amalfi and stay in that town on the water for 4 nights - a two bed room unit - cooking our own food. I loved the town. The weather was rainy most of the time but the beauty of the place and the quality of the produce will stay with me.

Revitalised we head to Paestum - absolutely stunning - thanks to Fodors for this tip - that evening to Pompeii (2 nights). Pompeii is much more than I expected ..a lot of walking and we were thankful for the cool weather. Then to Rome.

Our trip started in LA, then New York, Washington, Helsinki, London, Paris. Each city was impressive in its own way. Paris for town planning...Notre Dame the highlight for me. NY for the concrete forest. London much more modern and less 'old' than I expected. Rome blows them all away. Yes it is busy, confused, the service is ordinary (except for our host at Hotel Paba which I picked from reviews on Travel Advisor) but every day in Rome was a delight. I am an ancient history fan and my hunger was sated everywhere. St Peters makes the Sacre Couer look like a model. The Vatican Museum is breathtaking. The Pantheon - built by Hadrian in 150 AD - and now the most beautiful church I have ever seen..Rome has messed with my mind...

Thanks again Fodors.

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 04:05 PM

Good to hear back on how the trip went.
I was especially glad to hear you enjoyed Paestum since I recommended going there. One of my great all-time European travel moments was waking up at a B & B there (we had arrived in the dark the previous night) and walking outside to see the temples in all their glory

I am also amazed by the Pantheon every time I see it--even if this is daily during a week long stay in Rome. OUr teen age son really wanted to go to Rome last year to see the ancient ruins, and he enjoyed the Forum, Colosseum, Palatine, Baths of Caracalla, Appian Way, aqueducts and much more--but he was probably most impressed by the Pantheon.