Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 week trip to Costa Blanca, Costa Brava and Costa Dorado & Provence next June. What areas are especially photogenic ?

3 week trip to Costa Blanca, Costa Brava and Costa Dorado & Provence next June. What areas are especially photogenic ?

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are going to Southern, coastal Spain next June for 2 weeks flying into BCN, and then one week in Peniscola at a time share. We will have a rental car to see outlying sites and also travel by train to Barcelona, Valencia, Tarragona, etc. and then an additional week driving our rental car into Provence, France seeing Girona on the way out of Spain. We are most interested in local color, pueblas viejas, and digital photography. We're also interested in outdoor activities, especially hiking. We do extensive walking at home (6-10 miles/day)and will most likely tour towns on our feet, where such can be done, or if not, take the bus for extreme distances. Keeping in mind the color photography we'd like to capure-archetecture, beaches, waterfalls, mountain scenery, culture, people, fishing villages - can anyone recommend areas that we should definitely not miss ? We'd love to hear from all of you..this site is awesome for the help it gives people.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 09:49 AM

My favorite shots were at Cadeques and also the coast around Aiglablava. We did spend a nite once in Peniscola---cool old town section. Have fun !
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Hi kamerakid,

My husband and I are heading to Spain in a few weeks and will spend three days along the Costa Brava. Check out this link for some beautiful medieval villages: http://idiomes.forallac.com/content/view/25/46/

We'll be staying in Peratellada. And we hear that the beach villages of Llafranc and Begur are especially beautiful. Also look for online photos of Miravet, which is very dramatic looking.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 12:50 PM

The village of Roussillon in Provence (Vaucluse) is a photographer's dream! Lots of texture and lots of terra cotta and ochre colorations!

joy/luvparee
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Hi

You will be driving through Languedoc.

It has beaches, rivers, mountains, wildlife, medieval villages and lots of local fetes. So many chances for photos & hiking ?

Some photos here :
http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/ph...hoto-index.htm

Peter

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Photogenic Spain & France:

Thanks to Bob, Peter, Strass and Luvparee for insights to photography. We will definitely visit Carcassone, Collioure, Sete, Port-Vendres and Roussillon in France.

Maribel and others: Are there such places in Cataluna that are colorful? Also Costa Brava or Costa Dorado ?

Fodorites: Looking foward to your helpful hints.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 09:01 AM

Go to www.onelittleworld.com to find the report and wonderful photos of their recent trip to Dordogne and Provence.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 10:06 AM

kamerakid,
For me, the most photogenic on the Costa Brava would be:

view from the castle atop Begur

the medieval village of Pals

Aiguablava-Bay of Fornells

the coves (calas) of Sa Tuna, Sa Riera, Aigua Xel-lida and Aiguafreda

the view from atop the lighthouse, Cap de Sant Sebastià, above Llafranc

view from the Cab Roig Botanic Gardens

the port at the fishing village of Calella de Palafrugel

the spectacular but also very serpentine drive between Sant Feliú de Guixols and Tossa de Mar

Tossa's fortified old town, Vila Vella (but not the high rise beach area)

The Greco-Roman settlement of Empúries

Cadaqués reminds me of a Greek island village

the serpentine but amazing (slow) drive from Llança to Collera (not the fishing villages themselves but the sea views)

The Costa Dorada just holds little scenic appeal to me, although I do like lively Sitges very much.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 10:45 AM

archetecture: Vic

fishing villages: Calella da Palafrugell

Have you thought about crossing the high Pyrenees to get to France?

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Hey all you river rats:
Has anyone taken a river tour with either Uniworld, Viking, Grand Circle in the Provence area. Many companies besides these exist as well. They usually run from Arles or Avignon France up to Chalon Sur Saoune or Lyon and run back the other way. Trips vary from 7-10 days. We're interested in the northern directional itineary (Arles--Chalon ). Any comments ? I don't want luxury cabin but I won't like the "pocket" lift down beds, like I got on the Russian cruise last year.Bed is conjoined twin to next cabin so when the other person turns over, you do too. Wow...how's that for a good night's sleep ? Again, Photography is the biggie thing so touring with guides is essential.