3 nights in Europe (from the US)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested in hearing from anyone who has taken a three night trip to Europe - would you do it again? Whenever I go it's for more like 3 weeks. But due to my current schedule I only have the opportunity to go on a long weekend "city stay." On one hand, I've deprived my "travel bug" for too long and I'd be really excited about this trip to a new city. On the other hand, I'm worried I'll be rushing around and packing up to leave almost as soon as I arrive. Plus it doesn't seem very economical - after all, the airfare split over three days is a lot more than divided over a couple of weeks, if you think about it like that (okay maybe I shouldn't think about it like that LOL). Can three nights (two and a half full days in a city, accounting for arrival, check in, and flying out the last morning) make for a satisfying whirlwind trip? Thanks
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 02:20 AM
ira

Hi N,

Does it have to be Europe?

There are many inexpensive flights to US cities.

However, I could easily visit Paris for 3 nights and not feel that it was a whirlwind.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ira,
Well, I used "Europe" to keep my post generic and get answers from people re all countries, but I'm really itching to go to PRAGUE!!! But you do make a good point, there are plenty of US cities I'd like to visit, and it would be much easier and cheaper. But... PRAGUE! Note to self: Next time you think about accepting a promotion and new position, consider what it will do to your ability to take long vacations!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 02:31 AM
ira

Hi N,

How about 3 nights in Prague?

We very much enjoyed or stay there.

It's a lively town, and has the world's best bagels.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

LOL great idea, Prague it is!

But about the bagels, sorry but that is BLASPHEMY!!! can you detect my Brooklyn accent
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 02:54 AM
ira

HI N,

I'm from Brooklyn, too.

The bagels in Prgue are just like the ones we used to get 50 years ago. Far superior to today's bagels.

They also have excellent beer and knoedels.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 03:00 AM

How well do you travel? Some people jump out of the airplane ready for action while others drag themselves around for a few days before they begin to feel OK.

If you are in the first group....go for it. If it takes a while to recover (on both directions) I would skip it in favor of a closer location that does not involve long travel time plus jet lag.

I'm itching to go to Prague as well!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 03:32 AM

..I do it all the time but on business and usually in a Lear so I don't have any issues with sleep disturbances ect. I did do a long weekend in Rome once for pleasure and on a commercial flight (my SO was high bidder at a charity functio- left Thurs pm from NYC and left Monday early afternoon. There were a few things that helped- the hotel was very central so all of our time was well used. My SO had spent significant time in Rome so he knew how best to get into the city and knew where we were going so not a lot of wasted time. You would have to do your homework before had but with travel books and this forum easily accomplished. Lastly, always make sure a non=stop flight. Nothing guarantees that you will arrive on time but this is again one of the things that helps. Lastly be honest with yourself; do you feel like the bottom of a birdcage for the first 24hrs? If so that puts a real damper on your trip. Some people are luckier than others with jet lag. If you do have issues with jet lag think and still wish to travel outside the US think about, the Caribbean, Mexico, South or Central America. The time zone changes are max 2 hrs from the E coast.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 04:28 AM

Ira, where do you buy your bagels in Prague? We've enjoyed the Bohemian Bagel on our two trips to Prague (but then, I grew up in Westchester, so what do I know!).

Nutella, I'd go for it. That's a perfect amount of time for Prague, and it's not so overwhelming that you couldn't figure out what to do/see in that amount of time.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 04:36 AM

Comment: Young Englishmen are partying now in Poland! They fly in on Ryanair Friday and leave on Sunday. They have been going to Czech Republic...Apparently even with air fares this is an affordable weekend and less than a similar one at home. All of Chicago regularly leaves on Friday for somewhere and returns on Sunday. Go for it! Suggestion: Have an opera, play, concert or sporting event scheduled for Saturday.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 04:39 AM

I have done 3-night leisure trip to the UK. But keep in mind that unless you fly CSA Czech from New York, you need to connect somewhere in Europe in the morning, so yo won't get to Prague until mid-day or early afternoon, the earliest.

And another connection coming home, so you have to get up really early the day back.

I'd go somewhere with a non-stop flight so you can actually have close to three days there.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 04:57 AM

My DH is flying to Prague today (he overnighted at Heathrow) but it's for business and it's a 5day trip including Bratislava. In between work commitments he'll have just one evening to enjoy Prague but it'll be just long enough to decide if he wants to go back!

Considering the price of airfare and the distance to travel I'd do my utmost to squeeze one more night away and avoid connections (just imagine how you'd feel if you were delayed and missed a connecting flight on such a tight schedule! )
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:18 AM

I've done e-savers from CLT to Europe (Amsterdam, Paris & Munich) on several occasions. I think it ended up being more like 4 nights but I don't recall exactly. I would hesitate to do it now as we have 2 children. But if it were just my wife & I, certainly.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:22 AM

I've done two of them. About a year and a half ago we did a 3 night trip to Rome, and last November we had a 3 night trip to Paris.

It can be exhausting, absolutely, but in my opinion it is so worth it. I saw plenty in Paris in 3 days. With Rome I had been there before so it was a little more relaxed. Still, we went with the mindset that we wouldn't try to do too much. On both trips we did lots of walking, sitting in cafes, and general sightseeing.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Actually, we will be doing it again...Ireland for 4 nights in February!

Tracy
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:27 AM

I believe our friend 111OP does it too.

When I arrive I'm usually on an adrenalin "high" anyway...its when I got back HOME I'd be wracked.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Done it, but have the advantage of flying from the east coast. If it were my trip, I would go only where I may reach by direct non-stop flight to minimize travel time and maximize fun time!

Dying to see Prague, too! Will get it to the top of the list one of these days....
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree that it depends on how you handle jet lag. I only get cat naps on long flights, and spend the first afternoon in Europe asleep, so I wouldn't do it, even with a direct flight (but I'm now retired, so I have more time than money!) I like to amortize the pain of the flight, as well as the cost, over as many days as possible. I also wouldn't go to Prague for the weekend - unless you want to share with those partying Brits! I thought it was too overrun with people two years ago, and imagine it's worse now. But this is very much YMMV, some people love theater weekends in London.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:18 AM

I usually do 2-3 weekls but last week did a 4 nighter in 2 cities and it was great. Not relaxing but a total getaway. I'd do it again.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:36 AM

I have done this numerous times - for business trips - when I had no choice. And even then I tried to arrive a day early to be coherent. I would never do it for vacation - since by the time you start to get organized you have to return.

caveat: I have a very strong internal clock and get major jet lag. It takes me 3 days in europe to start to feel right and the same on returning home to the US. So for vacation I will never do fewer than 2 weeks and prefer 3.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Years ago, my boss was signed up for E-Savers right from the beginning. He knew how much I wanted to see Europe. So he forwarded me the email with a "pack a bag and go". At the time, round trip, Philadelphia to Paris, $214.
I even knew about laterooms.com.
Ahem... but I didn't have a passport.
<GRIN>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -