3 months in Scotland

Old Jan 8th, 2020, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

3 months in Scotland

Hi everyone
My husband and I are a retired couple and we love traveling. We are not tourist in the strict sense, we try to be travelers and we like to stay 3 months in a city, to fell the people, the culture, and all...We are not big on museums. We prefere scenery, ruins, good food, good drinks, good people.
We are initialy thinking about Aberdeen but we don't knaoif it is a good choice.We don't choose the capital - too many tourist.
We had experienced Montreal,, Palermo, Bologna, Lyon, A Coruña, Vigo...and all were absolutely perfect.
Is Aberdeen a good choice or there are other better choices?? We are pedestrians no cars.
Thanks so much for your help
Katia

Old Jan 8th, 2020, 07:26 AM

What time of year would this be? Aberdeen is nice, but its location can limit your ability to explore the great variety offered by a lengthy stay in Scotland.

I might suggest you look at Glasgow. It's a big city to be sure, but in addition to some terrific districts, parks, etc., it's full of life and character. It also offers immediate access to many scenic areas easily reached by train, bus vans or cars, including the western Highlands, the Loch Lomond/Trossachs area, Ayrshire... as well as easy access to Edinburgh, Stirling and other visitor destinations.

Do some research on Undiscovered Scotland - https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 08:28 AM

I think Glasgow would be a good choice for the rail connections.

But I might not give up on Edinburgh . . . you don't have to stay in the city centre. There are 'villages' in Edinburgh plus outer districts that have few tourists but still have good public transport and train availability. Or you could pick two or three bases for 30-60 days each - Say Glasgow, Edinburgh and Inverness or Aberdeen.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

April, may, june.
Glasgow is interesting?
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 09:07 AM

[QUOTE=katiawt;17045946]April, may, june.
Glasgow is interesting?[/QUOTE

Yes, Glasgow is interesting, unfortunately it often gets short shrift mostly by those who have never been there or not visited in the last 15/20 years. In addition it has easy access to many of Scotland’s most popular areas.
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, Glasgow will bw my choice
I´ll keep you posted
Thanks a lot
Katia
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

[QUOTE=historytraveler;17045974]
Originally Posted by katiawt View Post
April, may, june.
Glasgow is interesting?[/QUOTE

Yes, Glasgow is interesting, unfortunately it often gets short shrift mostly by those who have never been there or not visited in the last 15/20 years. In addition it has easy access to many of Scotland’s most popular areas.
Ok, so Glasgow!!!
What about neighborhoods?
Do I rent an apartment at the city center or there are better options?