3 days in Rome with Teenage Boys

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in Rome with Teenage Boys

Hello All-

Please lend advice about interesting things to do in Rome or surrounding areas for mother traveling with boys ages 17 and 13 in July. We have three full days and plan to see all the usual tourist attractions but are interested in other things of interest. Is there anything outside of Rome to see. We wanted to take a trip to Pompeii (both boys have studied Latin) but then realized that Pompeii is a 3 hour train trip. Advice is appreciated.

Many thanks!
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:34 PM

Hi AnnieGoo, if you type in KSWL on Fodor's search engine hopefully you will see her trip report to Rome with her son who is 13 years old I believe. They really had a good time and I think you will get a lot of good ideas.
Have a beautiful vacation with your sons!
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Pausanias

If you can't make it to Pompeii, Ostia is a good alternative, about a half hour outside Rome by metro/train.

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:42 PM

AnnieGoo, just so you know. I typed KSWL into the search box and found her report. It is No. 100. The title of the thread is "London (almost) Paris and Rome. If you scroll way down past the London and the Paris part of the report (although when you have time read it as it is a fantastic trip report) you will get to the part where they arrive in Rome. Enjoy!
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:49 PM

If you want really unique (o.k. bizarre) try the church of San Maria Concezione (or Cappucin crypts). In the 1600's monks used the bones of 4,000 other monks to build altars, wall decor, pillars, etc. It may be something teenage boys would like to see...or not! Anyway, it's a short stop and near alot of other sights...Via Veneto I think.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 07:09 PM

Natalie is correct, it is on the Via Veneto. From the Piazza Barberine walk up the Via Veneto. It is on the right hand side, before you get to the American Embassy. Good idea, bet they will enjoy that. If you don't want to see it then walk pass the American Embassy and get a seat at one of the outdoor cafes and tell your sons to meet you there when they are finished with their tour.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 07:21 PM

Hi AnnieGoo,

When I was in Rome five years ago it was with friends and then I traveled to Florence alone. The friends I as with in Rome had 3 teens, two boys and a girl.
They loved everything, and were amazed by everything, but I think it really depends on what you teens boys are like.
These teens loved the Forum and Colosseum. Ironically they also did a day trip to Pompeii, and loved it. I did not go with them to Pompeii so I cannot give my opinion, but I will say that they thought it was worth the travel time. They just got up very early and got back late, and again did not regret it.
I believe if you really must see something then it is worth a long train ride, but if it's like, whatever, then they is so much Rome has to offer, only you and your group will know what is the best decision.

No matter what you decide, I think you all will have a great time!

Best wishes! T.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 01:54 AM

Hi

Have a look at this link for ghoulish attractions http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/rome/chills_thrills.htm

Coool!

Mauro
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 03:28 AM
RJD

With teeneagers you should consider visiting the Villa D'Este in Tivoli. It has a delightful garden with many whimsical fountains and other water features. Kids seem to love it. Tivoli is available by public transportation about an hour away from downtown Rome.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 04:10 AM

The catacombs might be interesting to them .
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 09:07 AM

Greetings again AnnieGoo,

I want to add one more thing to my post. One of the "teens" that was on my trip just happened to call this morning with his Mom. Ironic.

I told him how I responded to your post, and about Pompeii, the Colosseum and Forum. I said, "Should I have added anything else?" And he wanted to comment about how much he enjoyed St. Peter's Basilica. I always find it interesting what moves anyone, especially teens.

He also reiterated what I said about Pompeii, he was glad they went.

Hope that helps you, Best wishes, T
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the wealth of information. Grateful for the advice!