Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 days in Positano - what is the #1 thing to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So finally after many years of waiting, my husband and I are finally going to Positano in August where than great movie with Marisa Tomei, Only You, was filmed. (You have to see it if you haven't yet!)

We have three days and I want to make sure we get the most out of it! What do you suggest? We definitely want to see Capri and the surrounding areas.

Mille grazie for your ideas!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:27 PM

The number one thing to do is relax and njoy the view. The second is eat and drink limoncello. The third is relax some more and swim if it's a nice day. I forget the rest.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:43 PM

I agree with nessundorma, the main objective of that area is to eat, drink, look at scenery, stroll, shop.

Some people take day trips along the coast to visit the other towns and experience more of the coastal road. Some people go over to Capri. Some take boat excursions.

It will be hot and crowded so I suggest doing any touring around early morning or late afternoon.

Remember the buses stop running before very late and they are crowded during the day.

where are you staying? the desk should be able to set up day tours with a driver.

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Take the afternoon boat excursion along the Amalfi Coast with Salvatore which includes an excellent lunch (and wine and limoncello), some swimming and lots of great scenery.

http://www.gennaroesalvatore.it/
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:50 PM

The number two thing to do is to make dinner reservations in Montepertuso, a mountain village that is a short drive away from Positano. Most of the restaurants there have picture windows that offer stunning views half way or all the way down the mountain at sunset. We love IL RITROVO, but DONNA ROSA and LA TAGLIETTLA also get excellent reviews.Many of these restaurants provide roundtrip transportation for guests staying in Positano.

The third thing to do is make a reservation for a half day tour of Capri with Salvatore E Gennore down at the town dock in Positano. They are real characters, charming, and fun! You'll have the best time seeing Capri with them!

The fourth thing to do is go to the Hotel Poseidon ( unless you're lucky enough to be staying there!) on a really hot afternoon, sit on their sun terrace and order fresh lemonade. It's the best lemonade that I've ever had in my life, and the views from the hotel's terrace are AMAZING! Also lunch there ( it took us 3 very enjoyable hours) was fantastic!

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Lucky, lucky, lucky you!!!! I LOVE the movie "Only You" and quoted from it the whole time we were in Italy in June. I adore Positano and would live there if I could (and if I really believed that living in a place could sustain the magic of vacationing there). Positano is a magical place - eat, drink, stroll, and enjoy quality alone time with your sweetie. I am already trying to figure out how to get out of the family suggestions of next year's vacation being "hiking the Grand Canyon!" or "renting a beach house on the Outer Banks!" My mind and my heart are saying, "No can do. Must return to Positano....."
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 01:43 PM

one of our favorite days in Positano - was spent on a boat. Take a boat trip up the coast, go swimming and enjoy the views. Then back to your hotel for a sip of limencello and a siesta on your sundeck. Then dress up and go out for a late dinner...see Positano lit up at night. It is beautiful! Brings me back to fond memories of my honeymoon!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 04:10 PM

Good advice from Ms_ Go and Weadles.
Do not forget the limoncello.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 07:03 PM

You also might want to spend part of a day on the beach at Atrani. There's an incredible seafood restaurant there, whose name I've forgotten, but wow, is it ever worth the trip!
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

weadles - how do you get to atrani from positano? It sounds beautful and I would like to take up your recommendation!

Any other beautiful beach recommendations, please tell! I need to get a nice italian tan!
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:12 AM

bookmarking
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 01:48 PM

See if you can find this one, it is off Marconi on the road towards Praiano. It is totally deserted. The photos before and after this one shows the steps on the way down.

http://www.pbase.com/seaurchin/image/27991054
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Ms_go my family is going to spending a week in Positano in Sept 2007...can you give me an idea of the cost of the cruise down Amalfi Coast??

Thanks so much!
Jamie
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 12:59 AM

jamikins - I think it was about 75€ per person, give or take a few.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

my husband is into making limoncello, has anyone gone to any tours or demonstrations about limoncello in positano or the surruonding area?
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 07:05 AM

Ravello is a must see.
Although I agree with must people who say the main thing to do is relax when there.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 07:21 PM

Thansk so much Ms Go!
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 04:10 AM

Weadles, we went to Il Ritrovo in June & it was awful - to the extent that I was actually sick !! It was also full of non-Italian tourists. Don't know if it's changed hands or what - the way it is now, God knows what it's doing in the Slow Food Guide. A local told us we should have gone to Donna Rosa instead.

I agree with other posters, doing nothing except relaxing, eating, drinking, maybe swimming & enjoying the views is the point of the Amalfi Coast. During a week there this year (my 5th visit) I only once left the beach on which we were staying - to go to Il Ritrovo
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

I didn't reply to my posting but feel it is necessary to do so especially since I am going back again in the fall.

The day I went with Gennaro Salvatore, we did not get into the BLUE GROTTO. So do not expect to get in definitely! I was so disappointed (only because I waited all my life) but now I am getting a second chance and will hopefully get in.

However, I won't be going with Gennaro Salvatore only because the boat was very small and I got so sea sick that I had to lay down the entire time. My fault for not taking any medicine in advance but I never get sick traveling. Gennaro and his staff were very nice but I really felt that we didn't get into the blue grotto because you could see there was a long line of boats waiting to get in. He told us the reason we couldn't get in was because of the rough waters but I didn't believe this 100%. Other boats were going in, why not ours?

I hate to sound mean but does anyone know of another company that you have used to get into the blue grotto?

Thank you.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 10:46 AM
ira

Hi I,

>what is the #1 thing to do?

Relax and just enjoy the scenery, the food and the people.

Have a nice visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -