3 days in Madrid

Search

3 days in Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in Madrid

We are staying in Madrid for 3 full days. What are the "must sees?" What is one "hidden treasure" that we should not miss? What restaurants do you highly recommend, assuming price is not an issue?
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 04:57 PM

There is a little Castilian town 1 hour drive from Madrid called "Chinchon"
The focal point of the town is the Plaza Mayor, which is enclosed by three and four storied houses with open galleries. Small cafes, restaurants and shops are located here.

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 11:38 AM

ttt
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Visit the Cathedral and royal castle, walk around Plaza Mayor and Sol, visit Parco del Retiro and the one with the Debloid Temple. Visit Prado, Thyssen and Sofia for sure.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 12:23 PM

We spent several enjoyable days there a couple years ago. I agree with the recommendations of the Retiro, the Plaza Mayor, the Prado, etc. But the best times we had were hanging out with the locals in the tapas establishments.

Here is our trip report (with pix):
http://www.onelittleworld.com/madrid_1.html

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 12:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I really enjoyed the midnight flamenco show at Casa Patas. www.casapatas.com
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 02:36 PM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
mr go, I just read your fantastic trip reports and photos. Bookmarked Spain, AC, and Switz/Lake Como. Thank you for all the great info and insights. Dave
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 04:47 PM

The church of San Antonio de la Florida
in Madrid has a cupola painted by Goya.

http://goya.unizar.es/InfoGoya/Work/Florida.html

It is well-off the tourist track, and you can take a metro to reach it. There is a historic restaurant near nearby, Casa Mingo

http://www.madaboutmadrid.com/guide/...asa_mingo.html

or you can hop a taxi and visit the Temple Debod and enjoy the nearby parks and cafes.

http://www.madaboutmadrid.com/guide/...rmita_de_.html

If you are there in Spring, Madrid has a beautiful rose garden in that area.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 04:53 PM

PS: I also think it is extremely elegant to have a lunch or cocktail at the Circulo des Bellas Artes, near the museum district

http://www.madaboutmadrid.com/guide/..._de_bella.html

and here is a link to the Temple de Debod:

http://www.madaboutmadrid.com/guide/..._de_debod.html

and the adjacent Paseo del Pinto Rosales:

http://www.homeandabroad.com/c/75/Si...les_visit.html

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 02:25 PM

If you are into museums, I wouldn't miss the Sorolla museum -- Sorolla is Spain's best known impressionist, and the museum is in his house and studio. I love his work and the house is an oasis in a busy neighborhood. It's way out of the tourist area, too, so it gives you a nice slice of the life of middle and upper middle class madrilenos. Lots of nice little shops and cafes in the area.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 08:51 AM

The suggestions of nessundorma are super. It's very nice that she added the links. Those would be my suggestions, San Antonio de la Florida, meal at Casa Mingo, Templo de
Debod, and rose garden in spring.

Also, I haven't been to the Sorolla museum in ages, but I agree with that recommendation....as a hidden treasure.

As a "must" is a view of Picasso's "Guernica" in the Reina Sofia. Even if modern art isn't your thinking, you must drop in for this masterpiece that the NYC MOMA had to return to Spain (reluctantly) when democracy returned to Spain.

Another "hidden treasure" would be the Royal Tapestry Factory. They have tours in English. In Spanish, it's the Fabrica Real de Tapices. It's open Monday-Fri. 10 am - 2 pm. 3E entrance fee.
Calle Fuenterrabia 2, Metro, Menendez Pelayo (Gutenberg exit)
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Be sure to download Maribel's guide to Madrid: www.maribelsguides.com.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 01:27 PM

I agree that San Antonio de la Florida is a gem, but for someone not familiar with Goya and only 3 days in the city, this is a long way to go. Art is my major enjoyment when I travel, and I'm cautious to think this will interest one with no knowledge of Goya.
A favorite museum of mine is the Real Academia de Bellas Artes, where large groups of tourists do not go. There are textbook paintings that are unbelievable. Especially on Sunday morning, there are no people. It's within walking distance of most centric hotels.
The Thyssen Museum is having an exhibit Sorolla and Sargent that should be spectacular. It runs til the end of the year.
It's been a year since I've been, but I've always enjoyed a quiet, elegant dinner at Olivo. A cab from the Palace would take you down the Paseo del Prado, allowing you to see the Neptune and Cibeles fountains lit up at night. That avenue at night is my idea of why the city is so beautiful.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 01:59 PM

to add to nessundorma:
casa Mingo is a sidreria, to drink apple cider, and the main dish is chicken, but there are other specialities, of course. I loved going there when student. Still go sometimes. San Antonio de la Florida is not near but BESIDE.
Yesterday opened "Intimate Sorolla" at the Casa Museo, private sketches and a rare opportunity to enjoy them, tillJan14, 2007. An addition to the Thyssen Sorolla-Sargent.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for all the good information. However, the great hidden treasure was Museo Sorolla, the elegant residence of the painter turned into a museum. Sorolla, the great Spanish impressionist left behind a body of work that includes paintings of his family, home, beach vacations and friends. After his death, his widow turned the house over to the government for the purpose of creating a museum of his works. The house remains, right down to his easel and paint brushes. The home and the gardens are beautiful in and off themselves. As an aside, the art is a welcome change from the excess of old masters found in the Prado!