Search

3 Days in Florence - Fri-Sat-Sun?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 Days in Florence - Fri-Sat-Sun?

Good Day,

In planning our trip, we are wondering if the fact that our 3 day stop in Florence will be hampered by the fact that the 3 days are on the weekend? We get there Friday, Oct. 20, so that will burn most of the day checking in. We'll be there all day Sat. & Sun., leaving Monday.

Question is - will me miss some things because they are closed or have limited hours on the weekends (particularly on Sunday)? Should we try and steal one day from Rome and leave on Tuesday (leaving us 5 nights in Rome)?

Thanks in advance!

-K
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 07:58 AM

K,

When our family was in Italy last spring, I don't recall much of a difference on Sundays. However, we were in Rome and Venice on our Sundays, instead of Florence.

It seems that we did have to somewhat plan around the afternoon (2:00 - 4:00?) closing (Siesta time?) of a lot of shops. That is a good time to wander, relax and have a refreshment at a cafe, nap, etc.

Somebody help me if I am wrong, but I just don't remember having many (if any) issues with Sundays. There is SO much to see and do; even wandering around or sitting and people watching is fascinating. (Don't get me wrong, I don't spend much time on R&R when I travel half way around the world on vacation!)

We also did 3 nights in Florence...could have had more, but it was a good amount of time. You can walk most everywhere.

We did 5 nights in Rome. Due to the largeness of the city, and the fact that we stayed outside "the ring" surrounding Rome, I would not have wanted to be there any less time. Add to that the fact that the trains were on strike our last day, so we had to stay at our hotel. (Again, this is because we were outside of Rome, which I would not have traded for anything as the place was amazing!) Anyway, we will always plan to do our sightseeing by doing what we most want to see as soon as we can...just in case the train workers go on strike (which is common). Keep in mind that a train strike affects taxi's, etc.!

Have fun!
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 08:34 AM
ira

Hi KD,

The major museums in Florence are closed on Monday.

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 1016868 (dial around number), 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 3 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

You will not be charged for the reservations unless you use them.

Have a nice visit.

Old Aug 26th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

That's good to know. So, it looks like adding a day on Monday would be useless. Unfortunately, we can't add on before. We're taking a train from Venice to Florence on Friday, so we'll try to get in as early as possible on Friday so we can catch at least one of the museums on Friday afternoon-evening.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 09:54 AM

Hi Krunko, I see Ira advised you that Monday is when the major museums are closed in Florence, so you planned this well. Enjoy your time in beautiful Italy!!
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Lots of things are closed the first, third and fifth Sundays or Mondays of the month; it looks like you'll be there on the 4th weekend, so that is good.