3 days in Florence

Old Jan 24th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in Florence

Day 6(Easter Sunday) - Arriving in Florence from Venice - Uffizi gallery 3:00PM

Day 7 - Florence - day trip to Sienna or Lucca/Pisa (right now, I am leaning towards Lucca/Pisa as Siena is better saved for another trip where I can stay overnight)

Day 8 - Florence -
8:30 – 9:30 Accademia (Michangelo's David)
10:00-11:15 Museum of San Marco
11:30 -12:45 Medici Chapels
1:00-2:00 Santa Maria Novella (church)
2:15 – 2:45 Baptistery
3:00 – 4:00 Climb either the Campanile or the Duomo Dome
4:15 – 6:00 Guided walk through Old City (free)
Sunset at Ponte Vecchio bridge

Day 9 - Florence –
8:30 – 9:45 Bargello
10:00 – 11:30 Galileo Science Museum (if fully open)
11:45 – 12:45 Lunch
1:00 – 1:45 – Santa Croce Church
2:15 – 3:30 - Pitti Palace
If it is a sunny day, head up to Fiesole ( or Piazza Michelangelo) to take in the city at Sunset.

This is part of a longer trip, almost 3 weeks in length. Anything seem particularly wrong here? (Don't get too hung up on the times, it is just a planning tool, not something I plan on sticking to like glue. On the other hand, if you think I have seriously under-budgeted time wise for anything, let me know.)
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 08:52 AM

You certainly have two very full days planned in Florence! I would suggest you forego your daytrip to Lucca/Pisa or Siena for another time. That way, you will be able to work your itinerary over three days, making your stay more pleasant & less hectic.

Also, consider pre-booking your entry times to the Uffizi & Accademia.

Good luck with your planning!
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 09:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You need to get a map and group things together by area. For instance, the Duomo is closer to the Accademia so bypassing it to walk across town to Santa Maria (which is closer to Ponte Vecchio) and then backtracking to visit it wastes time. I think your schedule is a bit hectic. Also check the opening/closing times of churches as many close 1-4 so some of your afternoon schedule might not work.

I would pick Siena over Lucca/Pisa, but don't think much will be open in any of the towns (especially Lucca)since it will be Easter Monday which is a major Italian holiday.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 09:40 AM

I agree both with 2010 and kybourbon. Get a map of Florence and arrange visits in flowing manner and also pay lots of attention to open hours because they vary from place to place.
Personally I would not visit the Pitti and instead I would spend more time in Santa Croce, visiting the
cloister and all it has to offer, this is an amazing place. Bargello and Uffici seem to me are
two must places ....if you go to the Medici Chapels visit the Laurentian LIbrary which is attached to the Church of San Lorenzo and a fantastic master piece. I agree with 2010 forego your day-trips to LUca and Pisa and focus in more quality in Florence, more relaxed time, and some
time to simply sit in a cafe and watch this amazing city. Or you can even grab an ice cream cone and sit anyplace.
In my view and I know some people might not agree but if you are short of time the Pitti, a huge palace, is better to be left alone and use instead valuable time in Florence;s jewels.,
like the Bargello, Santa Croce, etc good luck.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 11:48 AM

ditto
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 11:58 AM

Agree with most of above. Make special note of days museums are open. I believe most are closed on Monday in Florence.

There are a couple of great markets here, not to mention some fine crafts people. If you're looking for gold, leather products, even agricultural finds (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, etc)... Florence is a good place to find it.

Please get a good travel guide. I love my DK Eyewitness Travel Guide for Florence. It is jam-packed with info, pictures, maps, etc. Your best bet might be to browse your local book store for travel guides. Find one you like and buy it. Study up before you head out.

PS I see you have an hour for the Accademia. I have to say we liked this better than the Uffizi. Just make sure you also have a reservation for this musuem, too. Not just the uffizi.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 12:10 PM

You've seriously underbudgeted time for:
- S. Maria Novella
- the Baptistery
- S. Croce
S. Maria Novella (with the cloister and adjacent chapels) is almost 2 hours. The Baptistery, which is nothing less than the major sight of Florence IMO, is in fact 2 hours, as well, but 1.5 minimum. S. Croce, which is not just the church (with a plethora of amazing frescoes that need much time to be thoroughly examinated) but also the Pazzi Chapel plus a quite interesting small museum is 1.5 hours minimum, as well.
On the other hand, the Accademia doesn't take one hour, not even for the most devoted of art & museum lovers. There's just David there; plus an unfinished late work of Michelangelo (a VERY unfinished late work) - the rest of this museum is silence.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 12:16 PM

Ah yes, and kybourbon, sorry, but S. Maria Novella is nowhere near Ponte Vecchio. Otherwise, you're right that it's more reasonable to do the Baptistery and Duomo after S. Marco, and head to S. Maria Novella afterwards.
One more sidenote: you're missing the other two main sights of Florence (besides the Baptistery): S. Miniato al Monte and the Gozzoli chapel at Palazzo Medici-Riccardi...
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 02:08 PM

franco - I know where it is as I've been there. My point was it's closer to the river/on the same side of town as the river, not next to Ponte Vecchio. Just didn't make sense to walk past the Duomo area coming from the Accademia to visit S. Maria and then go back to the Duomo and then back towards the river.

Click on the church you want to visit to see hours, etc.
http://www.firenzeturismo.it/en/find...ia=5&comune=15
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 02:16 PM

Can you tell me the details of the free walk in the Old City, please?
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 02:44 PM

Ditto cmcfong, please.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 03:52 PM

I agree with Franco. You've seriously underbudgeted your time for Santa Maria Novella and Santa Croce. I also recommend foregoing the day trip and spending the time in Florence.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 05:23 PM

Much as I love Siena, I have to agree that on such a short trip you are better off staying around Florence. If you give yourself three days instead of two you would have time to do more relaxing and wandering and get more of a feel of the city, and not feel so rushed at the sights you want to see. If you want to get out of town, spend a morning in Fiesole - the etruscan and roman ruins are wonderful. Oh, and my best advise would be to climb the Duomo as soon as they open in the morning - the view is spectacular and that is the only time that you won't be fighting two-way traffic in the stairwell (and the Duomo view is much better than the Camponile). Have fun!
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 05:26 PM

I agree that your schedule is too crowded. You haven't left time to enjoy Firenze - one of my favorite places in the world. I suggest you stay in the city for all 3 days and spend a bit of time strolling and stopping for a cafe or gelato. Sit in the Piazza Signoria and linger over a marmalade croissant and a cappucino. There is so much to see and do and Firenze has Pisa, Lucca and Siena beat by a mile. Whatever you decide, enjoy your 3 days.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 07:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I recognize the timing you set forth is just a framework, but you need to factor in the time to walk from place to place, get lost or disoriented, get distracted by some interesting window display, buy entry tickets, check coats/backpacks if necessary, etc. Your first day doesn't provide time for lunch.

FYI, sunset will be at 7:45 pm.

This website will help you research open hours and days for most Florence museums. You'll probably need to make up a chart because the first Sunday and first Monday of the month are often exceptions to the usual open days.

http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/en...usei/musei.asp
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 05:00 AM

In this time an age it is a good feeling to know that several of us agree on most everything...this reminds me that traveling is an art. We all learn from experience. Do I regret some things I did too fast in the past >?, indeed I do. I guess we need to ask ourselves what is that we are looking forward when we include a destination in our itinerary. Quality before rushing from place to place is something that no one could ever regret.
This is the way I feel I wonder what glen will decide...
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 05:20 AM

sarge - If you plan to visit markets in Florence, this is a list of all of them with locations and hours.
http://www.firenzeturismo.it/images/...%20inglese.pdf
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 07:25 PM

ttt
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Hey, I am still alive. I had some things come up and had to derail my trip planning for a bit, but am back now (with less than 6 weeks to go!)

Thanks for all the advice, it is a little overwhelming, but I will muddle through somehow. I have to admit, this year's trip is a lot tougher to plan than last year. Last year I was in London for two weeks, and while I can't say I got to see everything I wanted, I was able to hit most of it. The limited time being spent in each city (1 in Pontresina, 2 days in Venice,3 in Florence, 3 in Sorrento, 6 in Rome - these are full days, travel days not included) forces me to make much harder decisions about how to spend my time.

I will be back in a day or two with an updated itinerary ( or possibly more than one)

The free walking tour I mentioned is nothing special, just a download for Rick Steve's website.

Be back soon.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 01:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I normally have no problem with a full itineray as I'm pretty much non-stop though very unrushed.

However, make sure that if you do pack it in as you've planned to date that you remember what you saw, what it was called and what it looked like.

Too many friends can't remember where they were and what they did.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -