3 day trip to Killarney/Dingle

Nov 19th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

3 day trip to Killarney/Dingle

hi

my wife and I are in Ireland from Dec 8th thru Jan 1st and based in Malihide. We have a car but are unsure whether we should drive to Killarney/Dingle or take public transportation? We know this isn't the best time of year but would love to hear from locals or travelers for suggestions? I was thinking about staying in Killarney and then going to Dingle for day trips? thanks in advance for your help.

Nov 19th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Malahide is on the other side of the country from Killarney and Dingle, and the days are very short - I would recommend train or bus, personally, even though I'm usually a huge fan of driving. Once you are there, I would recommend staying in one place and renting a car for day trips. It's a breathtaking area of the country, and you will be in Ireland long enough to truly appreciate some of it I explored that area when I was there June 2006 (you can click my name for trip reports). I stayed four nights each in Ennis and near Killarney. Have lots of fun!
Nov 19th, 2007, 10:48 AM

You don't say exactly what you want to see, but if Dingle is your main object, I'd stay in Dingle. It took us about two hours to get from Killarney to Dingle (granted, we weren't sure where we were going), and I preferred Dingle town to Killarney town anyway.
Nov 19th, 2007, 11:29 AM

If you want mobility and convenience, maybe you can do both. From Dublin to Killarney by train and then hire a car for touring around. Depending on your preferences, it may be better to base yourself in Dingle for short day-trips. Then, if you feel comfortable, you may wish to drive back to Dublin, taking a mixture of highways and byways in order to see some more of our country. www.aaireland.ie has a good route-planner

Another option is to fly from Dublin to Kerry with AerArann www.aerarann.com. They fly 4 times per day. I used them for a one-way trip this summer and it was cheaper than the train (Dublin airport is also convenient for Malahide). Flying time is about 35-40 minutes.

Whatever route you choose, I hope you have a good time
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the responses...We have a car since my wife is working in Ireland till next June but not sure if better to drive or easier on your body to take a train or fly. We also thought maybe go to Galway instead? If we take a train to Kllarney and then rent a car, it could get expensive I think but I will research and get back to here for more comments. Green Dragon, I could not find your trip reports? help?
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:52 AM

They are probably down long on my list of posts, so here's a link to the one on my website, with pics:

http://www.greendragonartist.com/BItripreports2006.htm
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:59 PM

Hi there Green Dragon. Went to your site and though I didn't read the entire trip report, I will check back later. I did look at all the pictures which were truly wonderful. Can't wait to go. Thanks.
Nov 29th, 2007, 04:36 AM

Awesome! Hopefully the trip reports will give you some ideas
Nov 29th, 2007, 05:14 AM

I would say definitely drive. The beauty of that area is the ability to stop and breathe it in when the moment strikes you. And things are so far apart, you will be wanting a car. I have many happy memories of just parking the car and getting out and gazing at whatever I found pleasing.