Eurostar question

Nov 28th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Eurostar question

I will be traveling with my two teenage children and husband from London to Paris. Our travel package with Solar Tours included a flight from Heathrow to Charles de Gaulle. We are staying right by the Arc De Triomphe.
My question is this: Do you suggest forgeting the flight and purchasing tickets on the train? I can get a standard fare on the first train out for 350.00 for the four of us through www.eurostar.com.
Nov 28th, 2007, 11:50 AM

Well, one factor in the decision will be the inconvenience of flying. Get to the airport, check-in, security and at the other end pcik up bags, get into city..
While for Eurostar, city centre to city centre, and views of the countryside. I'd bet that overall you will save time versus plane even though the actual air time is shorter than the train travel time.
That would be $350 and not £350?
Nov 28th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Sorry..yes 350.00 us
Nov 29th, 2007, 03:11 AM

Another vote for Eurostar over flights. In addition to minimum 3-4hrs "wasted" going to/getting from airports, likely delay at LHR take-off, check-in time ahead of departure, time to retrieve luggages, you'll also have to consider transportation costs to/from the airports.

$350 for four equates c.£40 per person, which i think is a pretty darn good fare. Minimum check-in time for Eurostar for regular class is 30 min, but I've noticed there are teething glitches at St Panc, so I'd add another 15min or so, and another 15min for picking up tickets from the automated machines. Still much less stress than flying. Plus you're right in the centre of Paris at Gare du Nord.
Nov 29th, 2007, 03:14 AM

If you're London-based, and there's no issue about connecting from a flight from elsewhere, then there's no question in my mind.

Eurostar all the way: much less hassle and stress than getting to and from flights, and you can stretch your legs while on the journey.
Nov 29th, 2007, 05:40 AM
ira

Hi M,

$350 for 4 is a very good price.

Nov 29th, 2007, 06:05 AM

Have you already paid for the flight from LHR to CDG--you say it was "included" in the package. If you have to pay extra for that flight, skip it and take the train.
But if the flight is already paid for, then I'd consider taking it despite the benefits of going by Eurostar. Esp. if you are coming into LHR from somewhere else and then connecting on to Paris that same day.