2nd trip to London...What to See?

Mar 18th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

2nd trip to London...What to See?

So on my first trip to the UK, I saw most of the major sights--- sherlock holmes museum, big ben, the milenium wheel, some bookstores, tralfalgar (sp?) square.

I know that I want to see Soho, brixton, Oxford street shopping area (although I am confused..if it was by picadilly cirus, then I already saw it), Windsor Castle, some parks, and?

What other sites in London are great to see?
Mar 18th, 2006, 07:31 PM

Did you see the cabinet war rooms or Bletchley Park? Being a WWII buff, I really enjoyed the war rooms, though I wasn't able to get to Bletchley Park.
Mar 18th, 2006, 08:03 PM

Here's a second vote for the Cabinet War Rooms! Of course I am a Churchill buff, but they are really amazing. Also I always go to Westminster Abbey, the London Eye is fun, Do a Jack the Ripper Walk, we did a Thames cruise...London is so much fun I never get bored with it. I can't possibly list all the things I've done. But the most outrageous of course was flying over to catch Elton John and Billy Joel at Wembley Stadium for a concert. I'd never been to Wembley and it was a kick!
Mar 18th, 2006, 09:43 PM

Go to Portobello markets starting at Nottinghill Gate tube station and walking the length of Portobello Road to Golborne Road. On Saturdays, the early section is full of antiques and bric a brac and then you get into the food markets (there every day with the exception of Sunday I think) and then to the more garage sale atmosphere after you go under the Westway.

I prefer the markets on a Friday when it is less hectic but a lot antique shops are open (although not the stalls at that end of the street) and you can more easily find somewhere nice for lunch. Blenheim Crescent about half way up and to the west is where the famous Travel Bookshop is and across the road there is a place called "Books for Cooks" that has a nice little cafe at the back. M Cafe is also an old favourite.
Mar 19th, 2006, 03:31 AM

Sounds like you might not be too keen on museums and historical bits and bobs, but a trip to Greenwich on a Sunday would give you a boat trip, the opportunity for a walk in a glorious park with some great views from the Observatory, and the arts and crafts markets. You could travel one way by boat and the other way by DLR through the new Docklands developments.

Or Spitalfields and Brick Lane on a Sunday.

Or the South Bank and Borough Market on a Friday or Saturday: and you could drop in at Tate Modern (it's free, so you're not losing anything if you're not into art galleries) for the views of St Pauls from the upper floors.

And just walk in the parks or on Hampstead Heath, or take one of the guided walking tours.
Mar 19th, 2006, 12:53 PM

The Special Documents Room at the British Library, the Museum of London, a wonderful theater production, other famous museums--the V&A, the British, the National Gallery--St. Paul's. There are enough things to do in London to keep me going back forever.
Mar 19th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Oh do try to go to the replica of the Globe. I actually was lucky enough to get last minute tickets for Richard 111 by an all female theater cast. Excellent entertainment as the whole theater is used. If you are in the 'pit', you become part of the play, shouting out the parts of "the rabble". Fun! I walked from London Bridge tube sation, but likely you can go the other way, from Black Friar's across the new walkway bridge, (Millennium?).
Near there is a replica of a ship, Drake's I think. When I was there, a film crew was using it for a documentary and I didn't get to go on board, but I got to talk to the actors. Almost as good.
Mar 19th, 2006, 01:21 PM

Since when has the sherlock holmes museum been a major London sight.

Anyhow places like various markets - Borough, Camden - Greenwich (get the Docklands Light Railway to Island Gardens, walk to the edge of the Thames then take the foot tunnel under the Thames), Kew Gardens, Globe Theatre, Tate Modern & Tate Britain, a cruise down the Thames to Greenwich from Westminster, Selfridges (whihc is in Oxford Street & is NOWHERE near Piccadilly Circus), Harvey Nichols, Top Shop, Zara, Miss Selfridges. You could go for a guided walk around Whitechapel - the scens of Jack the Ripper's murders. Lots of people love the London Transport Museum

for some more ideas

www.visitlondon.com
www.timeout.com
Mar 19th, 2006, 01:23 PM

Oh and the British Library id MUCH more fascinating thatn you think - an original Magna Carta, Lindisfaren Gospel, Scott's Diary