Search

27 Year Old From Chicago Visiting Ireland Alone

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
27 Year Old From Chicago Visiting Ireland Alone

Hi Everyone!

I am an active 27 year-old from Chicago spending 15 days in Ireland. I arrive in Shannon on August 25th, and depart Dublin on September 6th. Besides staying near Shannon the first day, I have no clue on where to go, what to do, where to stay, etc. - I saw a few forums, but most were for women traveling alone. I would really like to know where I could find the best route to do what a tourist does, without visiting the typical "tourist attractions" - if anyone has any ideas or anything, please let me know! I will be renting a car for the duration of my stay, so going to and from will not be difficult! Thank you all so much!

Sincerely,

Tschu1222
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 09:25 AM

Have a look here first http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/ireland/itineraries

Decide what appeals to you, then when you've drafted a rough itinerary come back and ask for input.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 11:08 AM

The Dingle peninsula in the southwest, Kinsale on the southwest coast near Cork, and Dublin are my favorite parts of Ireland. Shamefully, I have not been to Northern Ireland, so don't forget to research that part.

I did not care for Galway in the slightest except as a jumping off point to visit the Aran Islands or the Cliffs of Moher.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 12:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hope you drink, but even if you don't, go visit the odd pub. Car in Dublin may be a pain.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 03:28 PM

Start in Ennis 1/2 hour from Shannon and a great touring base base for Clare.

Galway is a great base for Galway. Killarney is a great base for Kerry, Cork for Cork and Dublin for the eastern side,

It's past my sensible hour so will come back with better stuff tomorrow.
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! These are great. I'm trying my best to make a good route for road trip and hit the best places possible while booking b&b's along the way starting Shannon ending in Dublin. Since I have a decent amount of time, I figured this shouldn't be difficult! Please shoot more ideas / suggestions. I really appreciate it!

Thommy
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 07:36 AM

Belfast and the coastal rd. See Giant's causeway and soak in the beauty of NI. I love Inishmor, take ferry over for the day. You can do that from a base in Galway. I would just do a big loop. Hostelworld list some nice hostels in Ireland. Snoozles in Galway is good. Not sure of your budget but a suggestion with B&Bs.