Reload this Page >

24 hours in Rome!

Search

24 hours in Rome!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Lindan

24 hours in Rome!

Gracious Greetings! I leave for Italy in two weeks and have loved reading this forum. I'll be attending a seminar for one week in Assisi and one week in Porto Novo on the Adriatic and I'll end up with 24 hours in Rome waiting for my flight. I'm a writer, gardener, flea market forager, fountain fanatic and would love all reccomendations for what you would do with the 24 hours--- along with any personal favorites for Assisi and Porto Novo as well. Thanks so much!!

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Marty

Lisdan: Before you plan anything for Rome, check and be sure that it is not any kind of religious holiday. I had 36 hours in Rome a couple of years ago on my first trip there. We arrived at 12 one day, and planned to catch some quick sites and save St. Peter's for the second day and getting an early start there to beat the crowds. Unfortunately, we did not know that it was a religious holiday, so we couldn't go into the Vatican Museum at all. Other things were open, and we had a great day, but we were disappointed that we wasted that time on our only morning there. I went back the next year and took in the city!

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 05:36 PM
jana

Go eat dinner at the Hotel Rafael. Amazing view of Rome. We loved walking around the sites at night. Good luck!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Larry

Lindan, My wife and I spent a day in Rome traveling from Florence by train early in the morning returning at dusk. We made our way via the Metro. There are only two lines, RED and BLUE. The blue line takes you to the Collesium and the the Circus Maximus, the Appian Way, and the Cetecombs. The red line takes you to Vatican City. We saw all of this in one day, but we had to keep track of time. We felt that we saw plenty for a 12 hour trip. You can do it.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Lindan

I love this forum! I've got at least 15 different guide books stacked by my bed but personal recommendations really help. Thanks for the comments- obviously this will just be my first visit of many to Europe- sort of a preview of coming attractions!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 01:05 AM
Janine

I'm sure you already have the Colosseum and Trevi Fountain on your list. I think you would also enjoy the fountains and general atmosphere of Piazza Navona.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Nancy

We loved the Hotel Umbra in Assisi. Great town!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Capo

My favorite fountains in Rome were: <BR> <BR>. Fontana di Trevi <BR>. Fontana del Tritone (in Piazza Barberini, by Bernini) <BR>. Fontana delle Naiadi (Nymphs) (in the Piazza della Repubblica) <BR>. Fontana dei Fiumi (the central fountain in Piazza Navona, also by Bernini) <BR>. Fontana del Moro (the fountain at the southern end of Piazza Navona) <BR>. Fontana della Barcaccia (in the Piazza di Spagna) <BR>. Fontana delle Tartarughe (the charming little "Fountain of the Turtles" in the former Jewish Ghetto)

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 04:40 PM
Thyra

My husband and I only had a day and a half in Rome and ended up taking the Ciao Roma bus tour... it's a hop on/hop off bus, so we were able to be carted around to the various sights while listening to kind of funny but informating narration in English through head phones, then we could get off at say, the Trevi fountan or whatever walk around for an hour or so and go to the next sight. It was a great way to see a lot in a short amount of time.