24 Hours in Lisbon-need ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving in Lisbon on Thursday, June 10th @ 4:00 pm on a cruise ship. We overnight there and depart at 6:00 pm the following day. Any suggestions of things to do (day or night) or private guides? Thank you!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 01:52 PM

I believe that the cruise ship docks in Belem area. If so, take some pictures near Torre de Belem. From there, manage to go to Jeronimos Monastery, the master piece of Manuelino architectonic style, the local variation of gothic style. Look for "fabrica dos pasteis de Belem" (custard pyes factory). Have at least 2 of them with a cup of expresso coffee. Nearby there is Museu dos Coches (I don't know if it is open on 10th June, since it is national holyday). It is one of the best in the world to see how the high society travelled in old times. All these sites are at a walking distance from each other.
After that, take a taxi to downtown, visit the Rossio Square (the center of Lisbon), from there go to the Se (cathedral) and from there wander through Alfama district narrow streets. In the south part of Alfama, nearby Tagus river, there is Parreirinha de Alfama, a Fado House. Have a dinner there, while listening to a authentic fado performance. Parreirinha is a small place and you should call in advance to book a table. Clients to dinner are expected to stay there from 8:30 pm to 11pm.
Next day, revisit the places you enjoyed the most, or take the subway to the former Expo98 area. If you want more details in any particular aspect, please let me know.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the wonderful information! One question...can you get good Valencia type Paella in Lisbon?
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 03:00 PM

No, you can't.
But you may have something even better, it is the "Arroz de Marisco". I'll find where is the right place, and I'll post here.
Feel free to email to [email protected]
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

We're are going to hire an all day guide to go visit both Lisbon and Sintra.
Would you do Sintra in the morning or afternoon (or does it matter)? We're considering Sintra in the morning, having lunch there then return to Lisbon for the afternoon. Does this sound good?
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 07:21 AM

We were in Sintra last May and the fog was so thick in the morning that we made a second trip back.We rented a car from Lisbon and it was easy to get to in about an hour(I could be wrong about the time). We toured the castle, poked in a few shops and went for a carriage ride. The people, the sites,the food and the prices in Portugal were fantastic.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 07:33 AM

Considering the short stay, I think hiring a guide is a very good option. The ride between Lisbon and Sintra is about 30 minutes. As I said before 10th of June is a national holiday and therefore no traffic problems are antecipated.
Doing Sintra in the morning and Lisbon in the afternoon, sounds perfect. I hope your stay to be just an apetizer for another trip.
I insist with you to taste the custard pies (pateis de Belem) in Belem area, I'm sure you will remember it as the highlight of the entire trip.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

I've heard that Lisbon is known for little cream tarts called "pasteis"...something to do with the monastaries?? There is suppose to be a pasteleria in the area of Jeronimos Monastery, maybe midway between it and the Coach Museum that is terrific! Anyone heard of this place or know the name? Sounds delicious!
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 12:03 PM

We will also be arrving in Lisbon by cruise ship, so will only have the one day. Does anyone know of a good guide? Thanks, Lee
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 01:43 PM

hi Petlover
We are talking about the same thing.
It's "Fabrica dos Pasteis de Belem" or just "Pasteis de Belem". It's just the other side of the street of Jeronimos Monastery. It's impossible to miss it.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much lobo mau. We'll be sure to go there!

MizzLee, this is the company that we're using that came highly recommended by a friend:
http://www.toursforyou.pt/

Apparently all the guides speak perfect English and the all day prices were quite reasonable. (there will be 6 of us which really brought the price down).
What cruiseship are you on? We're on the Radisson Voyager.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 02:44 PM

Thanks, Petlover...I'll check them out. We are on HAL Westerdam.

Thanks again, Lee
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 01:47 AM

Since you are arriving a litle bit late in the day ,what you can do is rent a private tour to see Lisbon by night having a fabulous dinner in a XVII atmosphere of a old palace in the old part listening the portuguese singing(fado-"faith&quotvery melancolic national song,tasting a glass of a good red portuguese wine.This restaurant is called "A Taverna do Embuçado",a place full of old stories and legends.Next day you can go for a morning choosing Sintra (outside Lisbon),a romantic and old place full of Palaces and old tales,where the poet Byron use to stay.
There's a small and great company to do that.Is called Tours for you(WWW,toursforyou.pt)operates with great french small vans for 6 people with transparent ceiling and very confortable,The guides,boys and girls are fantastic,very nice and cultured people.IT's a diferen way to do a Tour.I will give them *****.
Have a nice ride!
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 04:14 AM

Pay attention!The 10th June is a portuguese national hollyday and all the museums and monuments probably they are closed since the employees take advantage of those dates to carry a strike who has now 14 years.So if you go to Sintra the 2 big monuments there ,the palace of the portuguese last king in the top of the mountain(beautiful),and the palace in the village (almost 600 years old)could be closed.Try another incredible place(Quinta da regaleira )also in sintra.If you send me your adress I'll send you the site.So is advisable toask first.
best regards

Dapena
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 08:53 AM

Just returned from a trip which included Lisbon. Wefound that a ride on the "hop-on-hop-off" bus was quite interesting and can be boarded in the area of Belen or near the Explorers' Monument. There is a recorded informational message in various languages, and it goes through many areas of the city. The route takes about 1 1/2 hours, if you do not get off. The TAjo route is the one which does the main tourist sights.

I cannot seem to find info on whether they operate on holidays--think they do. but there is an email address on the map we got: [email protected] and a web site:www.carris.pt which might give you information.

The "custard place" is very large, with rooms in back, so check around for seating. The custards are tasty and about 75 euro cents each. It is on the left side of the street, if you face toward the city center, across from a bus stop and about 1 block from the Jeronimos. mhm