Search

Lisbon 3 Days

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2017, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lisbon 3 Days

Hi everyone,

I am traveling alone to visit my daughter in Barcelona. I am planning to go over to Lisbon on my own getting in Wed night about 8;30 pm and leaving Saturday around 5:30 pm ~ (flying)

I would love any advice on don't miss ideas. I am up early ~ avid walker ~ love history and local feel ~ I do want to do a half day tour to Fatima. I know I can't conquer all the sites in my short time but ideas would be helpful.

I have used Fodor and traveled through Germany, Switzerland, Scotland, England, Czech Republic, France and Italy with your help in the past. Always received great help in putting my itinerary together.

Look forward to hearing your input.

Thank you
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 08:56 AM

If you are up early then don't miss the sunrise at Miradouro das Portas do Sol, up on a hill in Lisbon. It gives a beautiful and quiet view, over the city and over the river, as wide as an ocean. The Alfama square nearby gives you a history and local feel.

Don't miss Belem (I count it as inside Lisbon) and its treasures: the monastery Mosteiro dos Jeronimos, the tour Torre de Belem, the Discoveries Monument on the shore, a Pastel de Nata cake from the shop “Pastéis de Belem” that even a non-foodie will enjoy. All of these can be covered in half a day if you are an avid walker, or 1 day if you really enjoy things there.

A day tour to Fatima is possible.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

FuryFluffy ~ thank you !
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 06:53 AM

Well is not a great deal of time, you should stay in the center of Lisbon, so you can walk through the old city, and then take the train to Sintra. Leave Fátima and Belém for Friday. Attention the half day tour to Fátima on winter only runs Friday and Saturday.
Old Jan 30th, 2017, 11:26 PM

TTT
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 01:35 AM

If you stay in the center of historic Lisbon you will not be able to walk to Belem, but it is easy enough to get a tram or taxi. There are often long lines in Belem for the monastery & the pastries -- it depends on what time of year you are going -- so if you get up early, see if you can get there early.

The amount of time you are spending in Lisbon is very short if you also plan to go to Fatima. I personally would be reluctant to go out of town to Sintra as well. Not everybody enjoys the experience of Sintra since it is swarmed with tourists, but you should read up on a variety of reports, because some people do like it, obviously.

Most guidebooks give a self-guided walking tour, but maybe you would enjoy trying to find a locally guided walking tour that is half a day and that in particular takes you "off-the-beaten" track, to places that mainly residents know about and that aren't in guidebooks. Lisbon is an interesting place to just walk around but it also has quite a complex history that is largely unknown to a lot of tourists. People see movies about France or Italy, or Germany or England, and have some historical overview, but few people pick up much about Portugal and Lisbon along the way of their education, so having a guide explain to you what you are looking at might be nice for half a day.
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone ~