23-hour Paris Layover

Search

23-hour Paris Layover

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
23-hour Paris Layover

We have a 23-hour layover in Paris and I've never been there. We arrive at 3:00pm and our flight departs at 2:00pm the next day.

I'm hoping to do the Eiffel Tower and the River Cruise the night we are there. Any other advice? Any advice on what we can squeeze in during the morning the next day? Breakfast at a special place?

Thanks!
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

ALSO need recommendation for a hotel close to the heart of it in a convenient location so we don't have to spend a lot of time traveling once we're there.
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 07:26 PM

This gives you plenty of time for a very brief taste of Paris. Recommend you hop the RER B train into central Paris if not too jet lagged; if you are wiped out take a cab which will run about 50 euro. Use only licensed cabs from the official taxi queue, not any others who may approach you.
Would suggest one convenient to the RER, better around St Michel-Notre Dame station than around Gare du Nord. Within an easy walk and right on Ile St Louis are Hotel des Deux Iles for a moderate rate, charming accommodation and lovely staff, or the pricier Hotel du Jeu de Paume. There are plenty of folks here who will be able to suggest other places.
You should - barring unforeseen delays - be in central Paris by 1700h or so, maybe even a bit earlier, giving you plenty time to splash some water on your face before heading out, even grab a bite at a cafe. When are you traveling? Sunset comes early in winter months.
If you plan to actually ascend the ET, not just see it, consider buying your tickets online in advance. This would commit you to a specific time but saves you waiting in line 30+ minutes (or more.) You could do this first then take the river cruise. Avoid the river cruises with meals, as they are pretty lousy and overpriced. Instead, pick a place that strikes your fancy as you stroll back to your hotel after the cruise. Menus will be on display at all restaurants. (The oft quoted advice to avoid any place with a menu in English is only partially true.)
Breakfast the next morning is easily doable. Your hotel will offer something, which may appeal if you are a bit lagged, though hotel breakfasts vary in price and quality and the two are not always aligned. Ask about what is served before you agree to the hotel breakfast. If it is just coffee and bread/pastry, you can usually do better at a local cafe.
Keep in mind that you will need to be at CDG plenty in advance for your departure. If you do go via RER remember to allow time to get from the RER station at CDG to your departure hall and through security.
Enjoy!
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 10:36 AM

I think the idea of staying on Isle St. Louis is a great one. Don't know the hotels mentioned, but the Isle has a particularly peaceful feeling, surrounded by all that is Paris.

I would not "waste" time going up the ET. JMO. Floating by on a boat, or standing beneath is probably enough when there is so much else to see. I would walk as long as your strength and the length of day allows. Then, get on the Vedettes du Pont Neuf for a late cruise. You'll be happy to sit down and happy not to have to go to bed just yet.

I would also walk through the courtyard of the Louvre at night. Seeing the pyramid illuminated is pretty cool and on the Rue de Rivoli side, you can actually look through a large glass window down into the hall filled with marble statues for a free glimpse of the collection.

For strolling, I would concentrate on the St. Germain des Pres area. I am biased because that's where I first stayed. But, to me, the 6th is quintessential Paris. The window shopping alone is an education.

In the morning, I would pass on the hotel breakfast. Instead, I'd go to one of the cafes on the Place St. Michel, which will be overpriced and ordinaire, but the setting is wonderful. Great people watching and very close by! You could even drag your luggage over, park it next to your table and hop on the RER from there. Truth is, one of those cafes might be good....I just haven't found it yet.