22 Days in France and Italy.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2018, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good day all. Landing early 12 June in Paris and departing 3 July at 23h00 or so. A couple of facts. Both my friend and I are 65+. This trip is a bucket list for myself .
The plan is to train(strike?) to Amboise on 12th . Cycle( e bike) along the Loire, have a picnic on the banks and people watch.
Visit 2 or 3 Chateax.
Depart for Paris on 14th till 18th. Accommodion booked in 11th which seemed quite central for museums, art, relaxing a bit of culinary experience. From Paris on 18th to Luberon/Provence, for 5 nights, again by train. Acommodation in Avignon. Take full day tour on 19th to Lavender fields. Rent a car for 2 to 3 days and visit a couple of farmers markets and cities. a must, Bouillabaisse in Marseilles
Thanks Stu for your trip planner. It was a great tool to use in planning The above is just a broad outline.
Train from wherever we are on 23rd to Nice from where we fly to Venice for the last part of our trip.
Looking forward to your input.
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 05:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So I guess you have seen Cycling in France | Loire à vélo, cycle in France it is lovley area, are you doing the whole bit as described on the webpage or just a day-ride?

Just a note, the idea of "farmer's markets" is exclusively an American thing, in Europe they are just called "markets" but they might also have weekly market or terms like markets from local producers and they may be advertised as fms just to drag in the tourists , you'll find them all over the place in any market town. If you go to each of your town's websites you should be able to find the market day. So, for example, in Avignon they have a proper hall and it runs most days The halles and the markets - Site Officiel de L'Office de Tourisme de la ville d'Avignon but read down and you'll find some alternatives in nearby towns and in the car parks outside Avignon walls.

Of extra interest may be "marche brocante" which will often have all the junk built up in a family house for a few generations, often a source of old lace etc.
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 06:10 AM

Book trains ASAP for discounted fares - www.oui.sncf - book your own - general train info - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.

Cycling Amboise to Chenonceaux is neat - thru a forest most of way.
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

PalenQ. Thats sounds neat.
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 10:09 AM

Yes it's flat (after climbing away from the Loire in Amboise) and on nice paved side roads (may have bike paths by now?) - cycling along Loire sounds neat but Loire ain't that scenic though around Amboise it is.

Also near Amboise a nice place to bike to is the Pagoda de Chanteloup - a Chinese-style pagoda and all that's left of a Rennaissance chateau - the chateau having been destroyed in the 1820s - but the pagoda remains -in a large bucolic park-like area a few miles from Amboise.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pago...w=1708&bih=838

Few people ever mention this place here but to me it is a gem!

Pagoda of Chanteloup | Office de Tourisme du Val d'Amboise - Site Officiel Val de Loire
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 11:51 AM

Another chateau to cycle to would be to Chaumont-sur-Loire and Chateau Chaumont - just upstream from Amboise. Not one of the biggies but nice too in that it is not - known also for its gardens and stables:

The Château | Domaine de Chaumont-sur-Loire

https://www.google.com/search?q=chau...w=1745&bih=863
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 06:28 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=ambo...w=1745&bih=863

Amboise area has a string of troglydyte houses - including a streetful just behind the chateau - can stay in some or dine in others - or just walk by interesting fronts.
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I should have been more specific re the cycling.
My health is not good at present and this trip is just the bucketlist of a silly old lady .
The cycling is just a half day of fresh air, a bit of appreciating the country side and having a picnic with bagette, fresh fruit, french wine and cheese.
On day2 we will either rent a car and visit 2 or 3 Chateaux in Tours or Amboise area or book a tour. Any suggestion of company for tours please.
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 09:39 AM

Great idea, you may want to hire electric bikes if age is an issue. We did much the same in Epernay (second city of Champagne), wandered into tourist office, they rented us a bike and pointed at a corner shop for the makings. You'll also find that many small towns have an offical picnic area, with a added stream, bench, coffee bar all handily placed. Many breadshops will also make you up a sandwich out of a baguette, often wonderfully complicated for very little, you don't have to buy the buns they have already made up but you may like to buy a little tart.

While less pretty pretty than some chateaux, you may like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fontevraud_Abbey just for the history.
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 02:35 PM

And it's also a wonder that so few folks here talk about that abbey bilbo mentions above - tres historic and very nice bucolic setting. Long ago when I rode my bike to it there were fields of industrial hemp in the area -took me by surprise as first time I'd seen that -miles of hemp - non psychoactive but still I rolled up some! Ah the things you see and notice on bicycle.
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 02:48 PM

For heavens' sake, the Abbaye at Fontevraud is a hugely well-known site in France. It's the largest, and arguably the most historically important, abbey in Europe.
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Years ago? Why not now . Haha. Part of my medication now so I might just try to roll one.
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 10:06 PM
kja

AND one can stay at the Abbaye de Fontevraud! I thought it a wonderful experience, particularly as one can roam around the grounds at night, after it is officially closed.
Fontevraud L'Hôtel ? Abbaye Royale de FontevraudFontevraud L'Hotel
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

Had a quick look at the Pagoda Chanteloup. Its beautiful. Thanks for this link PalenQ. The Abbey at Fontevraud, how far would it be from Amboise?
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 10:57 PM

Two tools you may find useful
google maps
rome2rio
It is about 87km and just off the bike route down the Loire or two trains (as luck would have) one into Tours and one to Port Boulet followed by a taxi so a couple of hours by train.
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 11:47 PM

I've just visited Florence for a couple of days, and I haven't seen a prettier city yet.
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 11:03 AM

St-Cirq - yes but if you've read numerous Loire threads it has been in few folks' periscopes. A little east of main chateaux but well worth a detour. Staying there sounds so so neat.

Not sure what Florence has to do with Loire?