2019 Italy and Greece

Search

2019 Italy and Greece

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2019, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 Italy and Greece

My wife and I have nine days in late August to visit Italy and Greece. We're in our early to mid thirties, enjoy drinking, eating, going out and the beach. Which places in Italy and Greece would you recommend? Thank you all in advance.
Old May 21st, 2019, 06:45 AM

First I would flip through some guide books or web guides to see what appeals to you the most. Second I would check some airfares to see what best accommodates your budget and schedule. Third I would choose one or the other because I don't like that much travel on vacation--you lose time in transit.
August is high season and certain places will already be booked up, so that may affect your choice as well unless you are looking at interior places vs. coastal.
Old May 21st, 2019, 07:25 AM

Although we have been to several Greek islands, let me talk about Italy. August means heat and crowds.

How about some off the radar places? Sperlonga for its beach with an old hill town at one end. Lake Iseo, and ferry for a day on Monte Isola, instead of the busier lakes in the north. Procida island instead of busier Ischia and super-crowded Amalfi coast. Sardinia instead of Sicily.
Old May 21st, 2019, 07:29 AM

whitehall is totally on the right track! Another place in Italy to consider is le Marche. I head to Greece for the first time this week(!), but were I going in August, I would look at places like Thessaloniki.
Old May 21st, 2019, 08:19 AM

There are tons of places in both countries where you can "eat, drink and go to the beach"
May be you check first Italian and Greek airports with direct flights from your home and direct flights among each other and look then for a beach destination for 4 days around the Italian airport and for a beach destination for 4 days .around the Greek airport.
You may find places like Isola del Giglio, Nettuno, Terracina, Gaeta, Cape Sounion, Kea Island, Kythnos Island, Skiathos Island.
Old May 21st, 2019, 01:22 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
With only nine days, choose Greece or Italy. Both will be very hot and Greece crowded as people from all over Europe flock there for the August vacation break.
Old May 21st, 2019, 02:01 PM

I agree - pick ONE; you don't have time for two. And do read a guidebook or two - "eat, drink, and go to the beach" is possible anywhere. The logistics of flights and on-the-ground transportation should dictate what's easiest for you.
Old May 21st, 2019, 02:51 PM

Perhaps you should also consider San Sebastián, Spain for food and the beach. Just throwing it out for thought.
Other possibilities: Corfu, Rhodes, Crete.
Old May 21st, 2019, 03:35 PM

If you want to see a bit of both (I agree with others- better chose one or other) you can take overnight ferries between Patras - trains/buses from Athens to a few Italian ports. Boats have a party atmosphere in their bars and 'discos' my son said when he took one a few years back - was also that way when I took several back in the Dark Ages. boats have nice cabins, etc. If nine days in Italy trains are best for getting around - like doing the classic Venice-Florence-Rome tour. For lots more on trains and where to go with them check www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your efforts and comments. This is truly appreciated. We have decided to take your guidance and only visit one or the other. Now comes the harder part - which one? My ignorance of each is substantial since I've never been to either and am only just now researching. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Sat to Sun trip.

Greece
-history
-sun and beach
-night life
Italy
-history
-sun and beach
-wining and dining
Old May 22nd, 2019, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're going to get the food, drink, and sun anywhere in either. I'd probably pick a Greek island if I had to go that time of year and beach was a requirement. I might head for Crete. History - start with Knossos. Save Athens for the end so you will be in the right place to fly home.