2016 Christmas Markets in Germany

Old Dec 30th, 2015, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 Christmas Markets in Germany

To all who have been recently - Is it better to go early in the Advent Season, or later? I am looking at either Nov. 27 - Dec. 4 or Dec. 11 - 18.
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 07:15 AM

I would prefer the latter hoping for a little snow but that's just me.
I don't think it matters when you go. They are always crowded.
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 07:29 AM

It is the same primary experience throughout the season, so go whenever it suits you practically or budget-wise. The "later for a greater chance of snow" argument is a fair one, too, if you don't have any particular market or event in mind.

That is because some smaller town might only have weekend markets, and some of those who have daily markets have "events" that occur on certain days or weekends. Those are generally found more frequently in the early to mid- December range, in my experience (3 market trips).

It would pay to decide which markets you want to go see and check their daily schedules to see if there are events you want to attend and then plan around that. Next years schedules won't be available for quite some time so you might have to look at this years (2015) and last years schedules (you can find them online usually) and see what weekends or days they have had special events on in the past. If you have to make your plans early it's better then just rolling the dice.
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far! Keep them coming!

I am hoping that the latter date would give a greater chance for snow over cold rain, but I wan't certain if you need to go early for the selections of wares to be good.
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 08:18 AM

To be honest, I have never thought of it as an availability issue. I have never seen what appeared to be a "sold out" kiosk and the goods aren't that unique that it is a hit or miss exercise. If you don't have something particular in mind that is unique and of limited supply, I wouldn't worry about it. The experiences you have are gong to be more of what you take away from one of these visits than any item purchased. Of course, there is that little dried plum chimney sweep fells we pull out every year, but I would be surprised if they ran out of him!

Plus, these are Germans managing the supply and demand issues.....
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 08:46 AM

Never count on weather. This year, we had a snowstorm in November, but since then we had warm and sunny weather even in the mountains and not a flake of snow until today.

From my experience, I would say it does not really matter which date you choose.

Just a few more comments on Christmas markets in Germany:

- Virtually EVERY town has its own Christmas market, big cities have bigger ones than smaller towns. There are some villages which have Christmas markets on certain weekends only.

- All Christmas markets have many things in common: Usually you have an array of stands with Glühwein, egg punch and other alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, you have a wide selection of food, you have some singing or live music, you have a lot of stands with crafts of all kinds. Every stand will be well-stocked until the end of the market. They will definitely not be sold-out.

- We Germans go usually after work or after a shopping tour to the market, around dusk (~17:00). If you go a little earlier, it will be less crowded. Or you go late and have dinner at the market.
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all! I prefer to go on the latter dates and now I feel comfortable with it.
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 09:44 AM

If you go on the earlier dates you will be able to visit some of the smaller markets as they tend to be at the beginning of Advent, not at the end.

As an example, if you used Frankfurt as a hub, you could visit the markets in Idstein, Büdingen, Gelnhausen, Marburg, Limburg, Eltville, Ronnerburg Castle, Bad Homburg, Michelstadt, or Seligenstadt.