Search

2009 Tour de Lance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Tour de Lance

Hi everyone

I'm starting to contemplate one of my trips for 2009. I hear Lance may ride again, and, seeing part of the Tour is on my list of "things to do before I die" so - why not 2009?

At any rate, I have always wanted to photograph the lavender and sunflowers in high season so it's looking like we'll spend some (if not all) the time in Provence.

My question is this: I want to see some of the Tour but not get completely swept up in it and find out mobility hobbled. If anyone has done this, any advice on that point?

If the tour is meant to ride through a given town, is it a better idea to stay in a neighboring town - that sort of thing. I definitely want to see the final lap in Paris which means we have to be there and settled a day ahead of time I would think (right?). Although I wouldn't mind seeing the Mont Ventoux climb and onward - I just don't know how we'd stay ahead of the riders (who knows what roads are blocked and when) and drive into Paris, drop the car and then position ourselves for the end, too.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The 2009 route was published today, starting in Monaco and visiting Andorra and Barcelona.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kerouac.

Do they only block the route itself, or do they have a lot of feeder roads blocked off too? Are you pretty much stuck in place the day they all come through?

I really would like to see snips and bits of it out in the field, but I especially want to see the ending.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:10 AM

We followed the tour for 6 years so I hope I can help you.

We didn't follow in 2007&08, but after this years tour we realized how much we missed it so in August we booked our tickets for next year. It was a surprise to find out that Lance may ride again, but it doesn't matter to us, we're tour groupies no matter who is riding.

It will be impossible to be at the actual finish on Mont Ventoux, because the top is so small that crowds of any knid can not be accomodated, even the press box is not at the top but quite a ways down the mountain.

Also since the Mont Ventoux finish is the final stage before Paris, the logistics of getting to Paris from there will be a nightmare.

The roads around the route are closed at different times depending on the area of France and the difficulty of getting around. For example the cols in the Pyrennees usually close the night before the race, while in the Alps the route is usually closed early the morning of the race. Other areas will close the roads a few hours before the riders come through and then open them rather quickly as soon as the "Broom Wagon" goes by.

In the sporting paper L'equipe,the day before each stage, the approximate times the riders are expected to pass through the towns along the route are published. This will also tell when the roads are closing, what roads will be closed and for how long. L'equipe is the "bible" of following the tour. Everything that you need to know about road closures, times and routes around the tour can be gleaned from L'equipe. Yes it is obviously in French, but the graphs and tables of closure can easily be decifered even if you only speak English.

Depending on where you wish to view the tour, catching a hotel room will be easier in the larger towns and cities, for the mountain stages there are so few rooms available, that most people camp out, or simply sleep in the car the night before.

I sometimes laugh to myself as I'm reading the posts about wonderful hotels and restaurants and tease my husband what a cheap date I am.

I see France from a tent pitched by the side of the road, and eat pique-nique, and I couldn't love it more.

I may have no idea about the great places to eat or stay in Lyon or Paris, but If anyone wants to know where to camp on the Galibier or the best place to stand to see the tour on Alpe d'huez, I'm your girl.

I'll see you there.

Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:19 AM

What should you expect at the tour?? An incredible international party. Entire families spend the day on the mountains because the road is closed early in the morning so get there early. You'll meet wonderful people from all over the world. People wear funny costumes and hats and paint on the road. There are areas that can be rowdy with drunken fans, but if you walk a bit up the road you'll be surrounded by a very family friendly crowd, it really is wonderful fun for the children so every stage has tons of kids.

One hour before the riders arrive, the publicity caravan comes through. These are delightful parade vehicles and team representatives, they throw out trinkets, food, water bottles, keychains, hats magazines and Paris Disney always throws out a great comic book to all the kids.

When the riders are getter closer you'll hear the crowd get quieter as they all listen for the helicopters for that is the first sign the riders are close. There is something incredible about hearing the sounds of the helicopter very close and yet not seeing it in the sky, only to look over and find the helicopter 200 feet away and is rising from the lower part of the mountain as it follows the leaders and you can look the pilot in the eye.

Then the leaders come through and the cheers are deafening, and continue until every single rider has passed by. The stragglers at the back very often get pushed up the mountain by a series of fans who put their hands on the riders bottom and push them till the next fan takes over.

I've always felt very welcomed by the French fans I've met on the roads and they loved that Americans now love and respect their beloved Letour.

Is that enough of a sales pitch
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:17 AM

Celticharper - that sounds sooooo exciting! Makes me want to be there and I never want to camp again!
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Celticharper - I am so glad you saw my post! I am at work so I can't reply in great detail right now but I will look more closely soon.

If we could possibly email each other that would be wonderful! I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:08 AM

OMG! I am so excited I can't stand it! The Tour is not only coming through Switzerland this year but right through the Valais, where my husband and I are building a chalet. I am already planning to take off the day they leave from Martigny.

This summer my sister came to visit and we went to Paris at her insistence and it just happened to fall on the day the Tour finished on the Champs d'Elysées. My sister had never seen a Tour nor had much interest but once we got involved with it, she was as excited as I was. We had a blast with thousands of people enjoying the extremely hot day as much as we did.

Yup, watching the Tour gets my vote. Paris is fun because you get to see them ride by you about 7 or 8 times as they do the route around the city over and over. In 2000 it came through Lausanne and finished right in front of my office but you only got to see them ride by really, really quickly once. You blink your eyes and they are gone. So if you want to see Lance, go to Paris.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:53 AM

Don't hold your breath on Lance actually racing - he is currently commited to race the Giro D'Italia in May and it is reported now that at best it is 50-50 whether he will even race the Tour - My bet is less than that...
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:55 AM

Don't hold your breath on Lance actually racing - he is currently commited to race the Giro D'Italia in May and it is reported now that at best it is 50-50 whether he will even race the Tour - My bet is less than that...

Now for a really fun time look at going to the Giro. The italians really have so much fun and it is much easier to see the race as the road closures are later and the overall ease of getting to a stage is much better...
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Monty

We were actually on Lake Como near the end of the Giro this year. We didn't venture out to go see them however. I think last year they were probably in our vicinity, too, come to think of it.

We also missed them in the Dolomites by a day or two..
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:50 PM

I'll gladly help anyone with their tour planning if I can. We've followed through several areas of France but my favorite stages are in the Alps.

We only made it to Paris once in 2003 for the Centenary of the Tour. That was fantastic, but since Paris is usually ouside our budget, I'm so happy that our one time seeing the finish was the penultimate experience with all the pomp imaginable. The parade was an amazing event, every tour winner alive, who was not too feeble to come was a part of the parade, the only exception being Greg Lemonde, which did not go over very well with either the French or with the American fans.

We usually prefer the small villages and mountain tops, and my DH is absolutely brilliant at getting around the closed roads, since he cycles the roads, he learns all the back routes, and our hosts at the gites, and Chambre d'hotes have made sure we knew the roads that usually only the locals would be familiar with. Our new French friends always made sure we were ok.

The rough route has just been announced, but the turn by turn route will be announced usually by mid May or early June. At that time Google Earth last year had a street view of the entire course, That is what is needed for the fine tuning of each days drive, but the rough route is enough now to get started with the planning of which stages you want to see and what towns you might like to stay in.

During the height of the Lance years there was a site that helped TDF fans to trade info on following the tour, but that site is gone now. No problem, we can just trade our info here and in emails if you like.

Maybe we can plan a pique-nique and toast our favorite riders from the side of the road.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 01:24 PM

I would love to see the Giro d'Italia, but it's so early in the season, we've been afraid that the cold or snowy weather would make it difficult for us.

In 2006 we visited Italy so my DH could ride some of the famous passes from the Giro, the Passo del Stellvio (sp) was amazing. I'd love to see the Dolomites, but we never got that far east, we stayed in the Alps and drove from France to Switzerland to Italy then back to France.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 01:44 PM

Getting around stages at the tour is much easier if you do the busy parts by bike. I think Ventoux next year will be impossible without a bike - I wouldn't go near it anyway unless I was on my bike. With a bike you can get up the mountains easier and later than with a car. Unless you have a hotel on the top of a mountain it is very hard to time it right.

My other suggestion is this - the best stages are the mountain stages and the time trials, plus the finish in Paris where they complete multiple laps. Skip any flat stages, unless you will already be in a town or area, as the group flys by and are gone. Even the finish of the flatter stages, while certainly exciting, are over so fast it is not worth the effort IMO.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 05:22 PM

Hi Montysc,
That's exactly the advice that my DH always gives. We love the TT and the mountain stages, those are always what we aim for as we plan our tour. If you want to see the mountiantop finishes park near the exit road and ride to the top. You can zip back down and be off the mountain before the crowd closes the road with masses of pedestrians.

Since I don't have the kind of stamina needed for that kind of cycling, he rides and I walk up as far as I can and share the race with the people around me. He sees the riders at the finish and I meet French and European fans to share pique-nique with along the mountain. I've met some wonderful people, and that's one of my favorite parts of following the tour. We each experience the tour in our own way.

We love the mountains but one year I also wanted to experience a start. In Lavalanet, while waiting for the race to start my husband who was riding his bike while wearing the full Kelme kit (he bought it as a lark because his bike was the Look Kelme edition) heard riders shouting Spanish at him, he looked up to find he was surrounded by the whole Kelme team as they rode around the back roads of the village to warm up before the race started. He whipped out his camera and got some great shots of Oscar Seville.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:56 PM

flygirl, if you really want to see Lance ride take a trip to South Australia in January when he will ride in the Tour Down Under a smaller scale Tour through the beautiful wine areas, beachside towns and city of Adelaide and also toprated on the cycling world events. Its a fantastic event with much of what the Tour de France offers. Think about it!!
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 01:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Here's the website of the Tour again for anybody wanting to check out specifics: www.letour.fr
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Celticharper, Montysc, Beaupeep, Mariebut, kerouac, thank you for your thoughtful replies. If you ever have time, I'd love to carry on the conversation on email (especially as the time gets closer). My email is listed with my handle.

I just started reading "We might as well win" this morning - it is by and about Johan Bruyneel, Lance's coach. Bill Strickland also contributed.

Beaupeep, it sounds very exciting, glad you will get to see it up close again this year. And Celticharper, you should be on their PR committee!
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 11:03 AM

We have the fabulous luck of living in a start town for the Tour of California, in which Lance will be riding. The race will go very near our house, but the day before we'll hit the down-town area for all the activities and autograph-signing. Whoopee! Vive le tour de Californie!
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

Topping...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -