2 Weeks Spain (June w/ kids)

Old Dec 21st, 2021, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Weeks Spain (June w/ kids)

Hi Fodor's community! Looking for some advice on our Spain Itinerary for end of may - mid june. We are traveling (from Canada) with 2 boys (5 and 8) so don't want to be moving around to a different location every day or two. I have come up with these two itinerary options for the last 2 weeks of our trip (1st week will be in Mallorca) and would really love some advice:

Option 1:
- Fly Palma to Barcelona (3 nights), Train to Valencia (2 nights), Rent a car and travel south to Alicante region (Alicante proper or maybe Altea or Xabia?) (3-4 nights), drive to Granada (2 nights), Nerja (4-5 nights .. staying in a friends home so this isn't negotiable, but will do day trips) - Fly home from Malaga

Option 2:
- Fly Palma to Barcelona (3 nights), Fly to Seville (3-4 nights), Ronda (1-2 nights), Granada (2 nights), Nerja (5 nights - as per above), Fly home from Malaga (Should I squeeze Cadiz in here? I believe Carnival starts June 9th)

Which option is better? Any modifications to a specific option? My kids will need pool/beach time which is why this is structured to give a variety of both. I do not plan to add Cordoba to this list as I feel that's too much city touring for my boys. Any advice would be ever so appreciated. I have been researching like crazy and it's so hard to choose.
Old Dec 21st, 2021, 03:26 PM

I love, love, love Seville and Granada! The Alhambra in Granada and the Alcazar in Seville are amazing! The only problem could be the heat. Temps could be in the 90's. If you decide on Seville and/or Granada, try to find hotels with pools. Two nights is good for Granada, and 4 nights in Seville would be perfect.

Barcelona is amazing, too, and fun with the weird Gaudi architecture. I'm sure your boys would enjoy Parc Guell. I think the temps would be cooler in Barcelona. And Barcelona has a beach, too. I haven't been to Valencia, but I would suggest spending more time in Barcelona and perhaps dropping Valencia (if you choose option 1.)

I can't really comment on the other places as I haven't been there. But I would like to add that we loved Malaga, and we think it's an under-rated city. Perhaps you could spend some time there? It's right on the Mediterranean, so will be cooler and you can have beach time there as well. Your boys might enjoy the walk to the top of the Alcazaba with beautiful views of the Mediterranean and the port. There are art museums, a lovely city center, and the seaside promenade is beautiful. You can have drinks overlooking the port and enjoy the sunset. There is also a ferris wheel by the port.
Old Dec 21st, 2021, 10:07 PM

I've never visited Valencia or the Alicante region so can't comment on which itinerary would be best. But it seems that you've (at least to some extent) ignored your own criteria of not moving on every couple of days. If you have 10nights before you join friends in Nerja, you either have to reduce the number of stays or accept that you'll be moving on regularly. Also I really dislike having two extra flights in the second itinerary. If flights are available from Palma to Valencia, Seville, or any of your other stops, I'd skip Barcelona. It's a fine city but it adds a lot of travel time. I would take Barcelona out of your plans and add that time to your other choices.
Old Dec 21st, 2021, 10:30 PM

https://www.swedishnomad.com/things-to-do-in-alicante/
I thought Alicante was beautiful with a ton of interesting things to do. The beach is beautiful.

Personally, I would keep Barcelona because I think your kids would really love it. We have a young GD and I think we will include Barcelona in her first trip to Europe because it has so much that would be exciting and interesting to a child.
Two days would be very, very rushed though. I would do four nights there, giving three full days, two days for sight seeing and some activities and one for the beach.
Old Dec 21st, 2021, 11:45 PM

Sassafrass, I too liked Barcelona (although I preferred other places in Spain) and only suggested removing it due to the extra distance and the desire to not move on frequently. As an adult who saw Barcelona through an adult's eyes, I'm curious as to what you think would be particularly interesting for young children. As a large city, I've no doubt there are many things but it would be interesting to hear what attracts you from this perspective. Many thanks!
Old Dec 22nd, 2021, 07:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2, thye can see a relatively modern city anytime, but tour 2 is extra-ordinary
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Wow - thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to me. In truth, I was leaning toward option 2 as well because once we get to the southern part of Spain, the towns are actually relatively close to each other. I agree that Malaga has a lot to offer and it's only approx 40mins from Nerja so we can easily tour the city without actually staying there. Being from Canada, we are used to long drives to get from one place to another. My commute to work is longer than 40mins LOL. Granada is only 45mins from Nerja as well so doing it as a day trip rather than actually staying there is also an option.

I really really don't want to remove Barcelona from our trip to be honest as this is my second time to Spain (I stayed near Murcia last time) and I regret not seeing it. I would hate to go all that way and miss out on it again. I thought 3 nights would be enough since we are coming from a week in Mallorca and probably don't need another beach day there.

I am thinking the best option is to scrap Valencia/Alicante and just fly south to Seville. Any opinions on Ronda? Cadiz? What circular route should we take and how many nights in each place? I know that people adore Seville, but how many days is necessary and will younger kids enjoy it?
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply! Would you recommend Alicante region over Seville?
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 06:31 AM

add Cordoba
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

May I ask what your favourite places in Spain are?
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 07:49 AM

in the north Bilbao (where bilbos come from) and Haro, in the east Barcelona and Girona, in the south Cordoba, Savilla, Grenada, and Malaga, in the centre Madrid
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 10:16 AM

Andalusia is beautiful so you can't go wrong with that choice. I didn't realise that you planned to have a car. If you really want to include Barcelona, look into the train from there to Seville - it's about 5:30hrs on the fast train which wouldn't compare too badly with flying if you take into account door to door travel. It would be possible to visit Cadiz from Seville for the day if you're really keen (the train is about the same time as driving as far as I can see). Or alternatively you could drive to Cadiz, then onto Ronda, then further east, making it a bit of a road trip. We enjoyed Cadiz, Jerez, Arcos and Ronda but it's just a question of how fast you want to move on. I see no reason why kids wouldn't enjoy Seville as much as any of your other destinations and, fairly arbitrarily, I would allow at least 3 nights just for it, with no day trips but it would be easy to spend longer. It's many people's favourite Andalusian destination (including mine). You could hire a car when you leave Seville, if you wished (we travelled using local transport but services are not frequent on all routes so a car may suit you better).
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 05:52 PM

Actually, Granada (Alhambra, olive groves, caves, music) is one of my favorite cities. As an adult, I love the gardens and walks there. I love the Art and elegance of Madrid and the romance of Seville. There are always things for all ages in cities.

However, Barcelona has some things that, to my mind, while serious, have a sense of playfulness that is unique and magical. They are why I think Barcelona is extra special for younger children.

Off the top of my head, a few that come to mind.

There are many parks, but no other quite like Park Guell. Your kids are young. I think they will find it totally enchanting. Plan on two or three hours.

Kids that age like to build and construct things, and to know how things are made. I think they will find Gaudi’s Segrada Familia incredibly fascinating. They will understand the concept of making things organic in form, like his other buildings. They will love going to the roof top of Casa Mila, with amazing, sculptural chimneys and views of nearby apartments. Get tickets ahead. Allow an hour and a half at least for the cathedral and an hour or more for Casa Mila (La Pedrera). That is minimum. You could take longer, but the little one might get tired.

I bet when they are back home, they will start to build things differently. We took a cruise with our GD when she was little. As soon as we were home, she started building ships and making sea scapes. After teaching my elementary school students a unit on architecture, showing them buildings like the Sidney Opera House and the Arch in St Louis, they completely changed from just putting boxes together to constructing unique, thoughtfully designed buildings. Show your boys some pictures and discuss the concepts ahead of time and they will be excited to discover it with their own eyes.

They will grasp the reason why the corners of blocks are set back. That will stick with them, especially when they visit other cities, they will remember Barcelona.

While the cathedral in Barcelona was far from exciting for me, where else and why are geese kept by a church? What kid would not love that?

Every child I know likes cable cars. Take the cable car up to Montjuīc

See the Magic Fountain of Montjuic light and music show at night. Check times.

They will love the mimes and painted human statues on the Ramblas. I have seen kids just stop in their tracks by the statues and try to interact with them. Kids really get mimes, like sign language.

I forget the name of it, but the food market off the Ramblas is wonderful. Let the kids take pictures of the arrangements of foods.

If you or either child is into art, music or theater, the Palau de la Musica is an incredible, Art Nouveau jewel. The inside is a visual feast of color and design that will appeal to and delight any age.

Pick up one of the books written for kids about Barcelona.

I still think Barcelona needs three days. I think you will regret shortening the time there because it is somewhat out of the way from other places/itineraries and you may not get back. Why rush?

Last edited by Sassafrass; Dec 23rd, 2021 at 06:01 PM.
Old Dec 29th, 2021, 07:26 AM

Hello!!!

I would choose option 2. You will love Nerja but I think 2 nights is too much. Maybe I would add that night to Barcelona or Seville (Cordoba?).

Anyway you will enjoy Spain. It is a wonderful destination
Susan
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

I had actually thought of taking the train vs. flying from Barcelona to Seville - then renting a car from there to tour around andalusia. The train would probably be a fun experience for my boys!
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Wow - thank you for the detailed response Sassafrass! The more that we look at Barcelona, the more we realize that we need a bit of extra time there which is why we are now leaving Mallorca a full day early so that we have 4 nights in Barcelona vs. 3! I have made notes of all of the locations that you have mentioned. I am positive that my kids will love it there.