Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 weeks in Italy w/ 7 year old - Tuscany first

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

It looks like my husband was actually serious when he said 'we should go to Italy next year'. Wow! Our first European trip!

We would go immedialtely after school is out, very early next June (2007). My adventurous daughter would be seven, almost eight. The very, very, very tentative plan would be a week in Tuscany, somewhere with a pool, central enough to do a couple of daytrips. The next week would be spent in Rome. I'd like to do it this way -Tuscany first- so we could get used to the time change in a more relaxed environment than the chaos of Rome.

My first question is - where would be a good 'home base' for a week in Tuscany to take side trips from? Where are some of the great places you've taken day trips to from Tuscany?

I realize this is a very broad question, but I'm looking for a variety of answers. WE have no set plans yet, so I'd love to hear your suggestions. Thanks!
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Last July we stayed in a villa (Il Selvino) north of Volterra. Our girls loved the pool and the German Shepard. It was a good base for us to do daytrips to Pisa, Lucca, Volterra, San Gimignano and Florence, but we don't mind driving long distances. For a first visit to Tuscany, I would recommend something near Pienza. Don't know your budget, but La Saracina is a wonderful hotel/B&B with a pool. We stayed there a few years ago and visited Volterra, Monteriggioni, Siena, Montepulciano, Sinalunga, and in Umbria Gubbio, Perugia, Assisi and Norcia. Pienza is also a good base for exploring the Montalcino area.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 01:49 PM

debbiedana,
Send me an e-mail and I will send you a list of day trips in southern Tuscany.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 02:47 PM

Spend time at slowtrav.com for all things about rentals in Tuscany.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 10:09 PM

For the area of Tuscany between Sienna and Florence, look at www.greve-in-chianti.com not only for children-friendly places to stay but information about animals and castles that children appreciate.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the wonderful replies! I really appreciate your input. There's so much to consider and you've given me a great start.