2 weeks in Germany with 7-year-old

Sep 23rd, 1999, 05:34 PM
Lora

2 weeks in Germany with 7-year-old

My sister has just taken a job at Baumholder Army base, between Frankfurt and Saarbrucken. We want to visit her with our son. What time of year should we go? What should we see nearby? Are there any good travel books for Europe for kids that would have ideas?
Generally, we're looking for ideas.....

Sep 24th, 1999, 10:20 AM
Diane

Try 'Take your Kids to Europe' for starters. I think the author is Harriman or something like that. It has lots of basic advice and some spots to hit. For kids 6-16 but some rules apply to any age!

Sep 26th, 1999, 10:15 AM
Glenn

Lora, Try Rick Steve's web site for ideas on traveling with children. They have a few good ideas on traveling with children. ON when to travel and where, some more info is needed. Is budget a big concern, or school. Will you have a car or train ? How much do time will you have to travel after visiting with your sister. Let us know and I can give you what I can...Glenn

Sep 26th, 1999, 05:47 PM
Lora

Thanks Diane & Glenn. I'll check out the books/sites you mentioned.
Here's what kinds of specifics we have at this point:
1. School is an issue, so either a week at spring break (too short!) or 2-3 weeks in the summer.
2. As far as budget, we'll save some staying with my sister, so we can spend a bit more to do other things.
3. We can train or rent a car. With a kid it's probably about the same hassle either way.
Hope this helps.....(I know what I want to see, so does my husband, but we don't want to bore our son to death!)

Sep 27th, 1999, 06:09 PM
Glenn

Lora, Since you mentioned school as a factor, July is probalby the best month to go. Europe goes on vacation in August, things are either empty or packed. I would recommend a car over the train. I have not traveled with a child yet, but the freedom of a car is by far better than the train. Remember, you must car everything on and off the train, to the hotel etc. I would recommend that you go over to the Rhine river area. Plenty to do and I would think that you son would enjoy the castles with an afternoon river cruise.
You could then drive down to Munich or head to Rothenburg and see the city. Take the night watchmans tour while in Rothenburg. I would guess that you would have to try to explain things to him and have him help with the input of things to see.

Sep 28th, 1999, 03:40 PM
Cheryl Z.

Lora- I'd think your 7 year old would be thrilled to see castles, and you've picked the best country for that. Be sure to go up the Rhine river and see as many as possible.

Sep 29th, 1999, 07:00 PM
Glenn

Lora, I just read an article in my local Sunday paper about traveling with kids that listed web sites that might be of help. Tavel with kids, http://travelwithkids.com ; expedia family travel www.expedia.com ; familytraveltimes.com which is a letter to subcribe to at a cost but it might have some free helpful stuff.

Oct 6th, 1999, 05:09 PM
Lora

Oct 6th, 1999, 05:09 PM
Lora

Thanks for all your help--I've started planning in earnest--and those of you who mentioned castles are right! When we were in England 3 years ago, he LOVED castles. Thanks for reminding me.

Oct 6th, 1999, 06:31 PM
Art

Hi Lara, I lived in Germany in the Frankfurt/Wiesbaden for almost 7 years (a long time ago). We used to pack a picnic lunch on nice Sundays and visit castles. We never ran out as there are over 25,000 castles in former West Germany alone. The LAST castle to see in Neuswanstein in Barvaria. (King Ludwig II). You might consider a two/three day trip in that area and visit the castle, Garmish/Partenkirchen as well as a Salzburg (the most beautiful town in Europe). Garmish/Partenkurchen is a charming city where you will see the typical barvarian houses with art work on them, also Oberamergau where the passion play is held every 10 years has charming houses with some of various fairytales painted on the houses and fantistic wood carvings. My one regret was not picking up a chess set from there. There is a book that I bought when I was there called 'Castles of Germany' that was a great guide in castle hopping.
Hope this helps
Art