2 weeks in Europe, where would you go?

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:41 PM
Lauren

2 weeks in Europe, where would you go?

In March/April of next year, I'd like to take a 2 week trip to Europe, flying into one city and out of another and taking trains in between the cities - mostly night trains, I hope.

I was thinking Copenhagen, Berlin, Warsaw, Venice.

If you had 2 weeks, where would you go?

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:48 PM
Wayne

Wow, that's a wide open question! Where I might go, and the reasons I might go, could be radically different from what you might want. But for two weeks at that time of year, I'd spend my time in the south of France and in almost any part of Italy. Weather will be cool and occasionally rainy, but not uncomfortable.

Given that plan, I'd fly into Nice and take a few day trips from there. Then I'd train over to Lucca for a day or two. Then down to Rome for a few days, perhaps stopping at one or two nice Tuscany villages on the way. From there, I'd train back up to Venice for the last few days and take a plane home from Venice.

I would avoid Copenhagen, Berlin, and other more northerly cities only because of the time of year.....not because they aren't worth visiting.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:59 PM
Lauren

I guess it was quite open-ended. Here is some more info - the only times I have traveled in Europe is in the fall and spring, so I am not opposed to the cold temps. I'm going with my husband, who has only been to Spain once a long time ago. He wants to see as many different places as possible while still spending a few days there.

I've already been to prague, venice, rome, florence, ljubljana, krakow, munich, dresden, paris, budapest, geneva, madrid, sevilla, amsterdam, brussels, athens.

I'd like to go to some new places, although I love many of the old.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:08 PM
Michael

Vienna instead of Venice?

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:10 PM
Wayne

Well, now that I know that, I'd suggest:
-Fly into Vienna for a few days and take day trips to other nearby cities from there.
-Train to Plovdiv, Bulgaria, and spend a few days in that fascinating city. Take some day trips to the mountains.
-Train to Dubrovnik for a few days.
-Back up the coast, go to the Istrian peninsula and stay a couple of days in one of the neat villages on the coast. If you want, stay a bit longer and visit some of the bigger islands (I like Hvar, Korcula, and Rab).
-Take a train to Milan and visit Lake Como resorts. Fly home from Milan.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:11 PM
Nicole

I agree with Wayne. I have travelled extensively all over Europe and lived in France for 3 years. That time of year you can get rainy even snowy weather in northern Europe. I would recommend though trying to make a loop to arrive and leave out of the same city--saves a bunch in airfare. I would recommend France, Spain, Italy, Portugal. Or wait until mid to late May and do your planned cities. We did 13 cities in 23 days by train, and although very fast and tiring, we remember it as the best vacation we ever had. Travelling by train is great--a little tiring, but you meet lots of interesting people and you can sleep while you travel. Good luck!

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:12 PM
Kim

Will it be your first time in Europe? If so, why dont you go to a couple of countires to know what you like so if you take another trip you will know where to go. I suggest you take the same route as the orient express train. It goes London, Paris, Lucerne, and Venice. This way you can see 4 countries in 2 weeks.
Out of the 4 countries I have been to all except for warsaw. I hated copenhagen and Berlin but I fell in love with venice and have been back another 3 times.
Perhaps, I can help you more if you tell me what it is that you want to see. Is it culture, history or scenery?

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:19 PM
Lauren

I'd love to see all three - culture, history and scenery. If it were just me, I'd like to spend all my time in Eastern Europe. I lived in Prague for 6 months and loved it.

But, the hubby wants a bit more "traditional" Europe - even though he is not sure where he wants to go. So, I was thinking of trying to do a combo.

Perhaps Prague, Vienna, Dubrovnik, (or Zagreb?) Venice would work.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:28 PM
sa

Prague - Vienna - Venice - Florence - Rome.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:32 PM
SA

London - Paris - Brussels - Amsterdam

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:43 PM
Kate

I would go to Norway.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:49 PM
Marilyn

We went to Italy in late April, early May this year. It was on the cool side, and a bit dreary several days. In Rome it was warmer. Of course, their weather is like ours and not predictable that time of the year. Friends went the second week of May and it was lovely and warm. M.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:54 PM
orgy7

I actually did that three years ago in the same months

NOTE MAY BE A BIT CHILLY STILL.. AND SOME PLACES STILL SNOWING

I ate more then I could chew, but. this itinerary would be a bit lot easier..

PRAGUE - BUDAPEST - VENICE - NICE - MONICO - BARCELONA - PERIS - AMSTERDAM