Reload this Page >

2 Weeks in Amalfi Coast, Rome and Venice Itinerary Help

Old Jul 1st, 2018, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodor's!

My partner and I will be spending 1 month in Europe from late August to late September. We've never been to Europe before and are a little out of our element with the itinerary planning. We've decided that we would like to spend the majority of our time in Italy and have flagged Rome, Venice and the Amalfi Coast as the destinations which we felt the most attracted to.

We'd love some advice on the most efficient way to approach this trip as we know that 2 weeks will be cutting it quite close. We'll be coming into Italy from Paris and will be leaving Italy to travel to Prague after the 2 weeks is over.

Our questions are:

1. Which order should we see our destinations? ( Naples to access Sorrento, Positano & Amalfi, then to Rome and finish in Venice? )

2. Following on from question 1 - What would be the best way to travel from Paris to our first destination, and from each destination to the next? ( Bus, Train, or Plane? )

3. How should we divide our time between Rome, Venice and the Amalfi Coast?

4. For the Amalfi Coast portion of the trip - what is the most efficient route to see each major town and attraction? We'd like to cut down on backtracking if possible.

5. We've read the hotel views are what make an Amalfi trip memorable - Could you please recommend some great hotels with a lovely view?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Luke and Mila
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 05:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you want to spend time in Naples itself, other than seeing the Archaeological Museum? In either case I would start by flying into Naples.

When I visited the AC I flew into Naples, and took the ferry to Capri for three nights, You could get by with two. I enjoyed Capri more than I expected, but you need to be able to dodge the crowds. Then I took the ferry to Sorrento and used it as a base for the AC, Herculaneum and Pompeii. You could also use it as a base for Naples if you just want to see the museum. Or you could take the ferry to Amalfi or Positano, skip Sorrento and then move to Naples. For my trip start here: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...ivating-capri/

Train from Naples to Rome and then to Venice. For train travel from Venice to Prague see: https://www.seat61.com/international...#Venice-Prague (personally I'd stay in Vienna instead, I found Prague to overrun with tourists in 2004 and it's only got worse). There is one direct flight from Venice to Prague, see skyscanner.

I prefer Venice to Rome but if this is your first trip I would give them equal time.
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 06:40 AM

Yes land in Rome or Naples if possible - spend 3 days in say Sorrento

Train to Rome - 4 days

Train to Venice - few days in Venice - book trains early at www.trenitalia.com or www.italotreno.com - competing railways using same stations and tracks - for lots on trains check www.seat61.com-especially for discounted tickets; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 09:44 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
1. Which order should we see our destinations? ( Naples to access Sorrento, Positano & Amalfi, then to Rome and finish in Venice? )
Yes, that sequence makes sense.

2. Following on from question 1 - What would be the best way to travel from Paris to our first destination, and from each destination to the next? ( Bus, Train, or Plane? )
I would fly between countries, but use the train within Italy. For trains, the correct websites are https://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en (state owned railway) or https://www.italotreno.it/en (private competitor, operates on your routes, and occasionally cheaper than Trenitalia) - I usually use trainline.eu which sells tickets at the same prices as the operators themselves / easy to use and will consolidate connections across both rail operators on a given route where relevant so you can compare and choose.

3. How should we divide our time between Rome, Venice and the Amalfi Coast?
A personal choice depending on your interests, but roughly equally could work.

4. For the Amalfi Coast portion of the trip - what is the most efficient route to see each major town and attraction? We'd like to cut down on backtracking if possible.
We have previously based ourselves in Sorrento - technically not "on" the Amalfi Coast, but close enough to be "practical" and "convenient" with very good transportation/access to Vesuvius / Pompeii / Capri, and also village-hopping along the Amalfi Coast (ferry / bus / private driver). We took the local Circumvesuviana train to/from Naples station - Sorrento.
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 06:14 AM

Sounds exciting! You’ll love Europe!
Actually, 2 weeks is a pretty good amount of time for an introduction to Italy. Since you’re coming from Paris, it would depend on how you plan to travel to Italy. I would check airfare prices (regional airlines can be cheaper than the train but consider airport security time) and decide from there (compare to the train). As suggested above, you may want to go by air to Italy and then by train within Italy.

I would include the Cinque Terra (on the west coast) on your trip. It’s 5 small villages that offer a gorgeous hiking opportunity with beautiful backdrop of vines and the ocean. It was the highlight of our Italy trip and I wish we had stayed at least one night (we did it as a day trip from Florence). Since you’ll be coming from a big city, it will be a lovely change, at least 1 night, if not 2. Venice needs at least 3 nights.

I would also add Florence, at least 3. Why are you skipping? You just can’t! Lol. So (depending on travel costs) I would go to Venice then Florence then Cinque Terra (train) then train to the Amalfi. I wouldn’t use crazy Naples as a base for the Amalfi. We stayed in Sorrento too (it is the largest city and the one we found with the best connections). You need at least 3 (4 if you want to go to Pompei which I recommend). It was a big brand American hotel with gorgeous views (Hilton I think?). It was expensive and if you can do Airbnb I would suggest that. The entire area is gorgeous so I don’t think you need to stay with a place for the views. You’ll get those views regardless.

From Sorrento, we did a day trip to Pompei (don’t miss Pompei there’s just nothing like it). Last is Rome which you need at least 3 (it was our least favorite but we went in the summer when it was crazy busy and hot, hot, hot). Rome has a lot to offer but after Paris you may find it less appealing (just because it’s a huge city). So, if possible, I would book right before you leave to Prague (via plane).

Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 06:55 AM

There is no reason to go to BOTH the Cinque Terre and the AC. And I'm not sure when you went to the CT, but everything I have read lately says that it is ridiculously overcrowded. Why on earth would you go to Italy and stay in an American chain hotel? Plenty of local hotels and guesthouses.

Of course one can skip Florence. I have been to Italy several times and have not been to Florence. I have ODed on art elsewhere.
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 07:07 AM

Check the flight time out of Venice to your next stop. When DH and I were there, international flights left very early in the a.m. If that is still true, I'd fly into Venice and out of Naples or Rome. Make your first view of Italy the wonderful city seemingly rising from the sea!
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by thursdaysd
There is no reason to go to BOTH the Cinque Terre and the AC. And I'm not sure when you went to the CT, but everything I have read lately says that it is ridiculously overcrowded. Why on earth would you go to Italy and stay in an American chain hotel? Plenty of local hotels and guesthouses.

Of course one can skip Florence. I have been to Italy several times and have not been to Florence. I have ODed on art elsewhere.
Florence is not ALL about art though certainly that’s a big part of it. To the OP, you can day trip to the wonderful small town of Lucca (bike around it’s walls) and even see the leaning tower of Pisa on one beautiful day from Florence. Also, the CT is NOT identical to the AC. Though both are drop dead gorgeous, there’s nothing like hiking in the CT. If the OP loves nature and hiking, you don’t want to miss this. Crowds can be avoided (as much as possible) if you plan it right.
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 07:40 AM

@TDudette - I know flights from Venice to the US tend to leave early, but the only direct flight to Prague leaves late afternoon.
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 08:06 AM

Thanks, thursdaysd. It is so much easier to have some a.m. time.
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 09:23 AM

One idea would be to fly into Naples and head to the Amalfi coast if you want a small village feel, or to Sorrento if you want a bigger village with more to do, spend 5 nights. From there you can take the ferry to Capri for the day or Ischia for the day or Positano and Amalfi for the day. Then I would hire a private car to go to Pompeii and on to Naples for 2 nights.

Take the train from Naples to Rome for 4 nights.This will give you 3.5 days in Rome.
Take the train from Rome to Venice for 3 nights. That will give you 2.5 days in Venice.
Enjoy your trip.

Last edited by lancer11; Jul 4th, 2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 09:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I would include the Cinque Terra (on the west coast) on your trip. It’s 5 small villages that offer a gorgeous hiking opportunity with beautiful backdrop of vines and the ocean.<<

You don't really have enough time - but even if you did -- August is the absolute worst time to visit the CT if one wants to avoid massive crowds.
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 12:24 PM

The Amalfi is also very crowded in September but there is much more space for the crowds to spread out on - CT towns are so so tiny they become elbow-elbow even then. Heck all those places will be crowded but at least in cities like Rome and Venice you can escape the maddening crowds which stick to a relatively few places but in CT no escaping.
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 01:51 PM

Amalfi Coast hotels will vary so depends on your budget. But, a plus is that you can always visit for dinner or a drink if the price to stay there is too much.

With that said, Le Sirenuse is a wonderful hotel with fantastic views in Positano. The restaurant, La Sponda is wonderful and they also serve dinner at their seafood/Champagne Bar. If you want the view with drinks only, Franco's bar, is right off the street but has the view (the hotel owns it). We have friends who also recommend Hotel Marincanto...down the street same view and they enjoyed going to Le Sirenuse for drinks without the expense of the rooms. The service is impeccable if you are a guest and it's our favorite hotel but it is expensive. Hotel Marincanto is more affordable. I know a lot of people really like Hotel Poseidon, as well.

Another hotel with an unbelievable view (and an amazing infinity pool and spa) is Monastero Santa Rosa high atop Conca dei Marini. Very well done with all sorts of little niches to relax in...it's more relaxation and less glamorous than Le Sirenuse and there is less around (but they offer a free shuttle into Amalfi). I think there is more flexibility in room rates (but it is not inexpensive) here and the rooms while small are very well done with heated floors in the bathroom and night lights you can turn on from your bed to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Everything is a calm/relaxing neutral colored stone. It's an oasis!

If you do enjoy wine, take a look at a day with Swirl the Glass. They have several options of winery visits and we so enjoyed our day with them. They will pick you up and drop you off. We visited Tenuta San Francesco winery in Tramonti and it was wonderful!

our trip report: Awe inspiring on the Amalfi Coast....an Albergo "Clash of the Titans"

Enjoy your trip. We spent 9 nights in Rome and still didn't see it all - so it's hard to tell you how to break it up. I would spend the least amount of time in Venice and more in Rome and Amalfi.
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When people reference Florence and only mention art, they really don't have to add that they've never been there. It's obvious.

There are more than 70 museums in the city (not all are art-oriented), Etruscan and Roman ruins in Fiesole, numerous day trips possible to UNESCO Heritage Sites, medieval towns, market towns. You could spend two weeks in Florence and not run out of non-art options.

The Museums of Florence

I don't know the current status, but many of the hiking trails in the CT have not been open recently. If you're heading there to hike (in August!? Yikes), check to see what trails are open. FYI, hiking in the AC area is also amazing. Hence, the name Path of the Gods.

https://www.positano.com/en/e/il-sentiero-degli-dei
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 09:19 AM

And, in Florence trekking up to Fiesole by short bus ride or long uphill walk gives you a breathatking view over Florence and its burn-siena tiled roofs all laid out far below - as well as stllar Roman ruins in a nice archeological park.

And Florence has normal residential areas that are fun to stroll around - markets, etc. I did a walk around Florence one day and literally walked around the town center well away from mobbed center - was a highlight of my Florentine adventures over many years.
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 09:51 AM

There are plenty of places in Italy other than Florence with museums, ruins, views etc. etc. and fewer crowds. I will go back to Sicily before I go to Florence.
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 11:34 AM

I think though that on a first trip to Italy most would want to see Florence and its glories for a day or two - maybe no OP who is on a tight schedule and has other neat places.
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 12:29 PM

I think though that on a first trip to Italy most would want to see Florence and its glories for a day or two
Thinking that is why Florence is overcrowded. The OP has picked three great destinations, what would you suggest they give up/short change for a place in which they have expressed no interest? Of course, the OP has not been back and not told us their priorities so this is academic.

I have been to Italy six times for several weeks in total without visiting Florence and I feel in no way deprived. There are plenty of other worthwhile places in Italy.
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 01:30 PM

I said OP has other places and fine but yes most folks would usually if time visit Florence - incredible you have never visited Florence after all those Italian trips - guess you can't really comment on what you have not seen. Just a day strolling around Duomo area is great. But, each is different but I suggest you at least stop by Florence for a bit. You may like it -especially in off season - last few trips I went in January and was pleasantly uncrowded. But not saying OP needs to visit Florence but is not the Hell hole you make it out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -