COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

2 week trip itinerary

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Laura

2 week trip itinerary

I've just celebrated by 15 year anniversary at the company I work for and as a gift my husband and I are planning a 2-week trip to UK & Ireland.
How should the time be spent -
Arrive in Manchester, England (visiting friends).
Relax 1-2 days with them.
Visit Scotland - 2-3 days (how should we go to Edinborough? or what other areas should we see in Scotland? Drive? Return to Man.
Visit Dublin (from Manchester) for 2 days over a weekend. Friends may go with us (what fun!)
Visit London 4 days? by Train?
Return to Manchester.
Should we try to squeeze in other areas?
Thanks!
Visiting in May in a few weeks.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Leslie

I really wouldn't bother to go to Ireland if you are only going to give it 2 days and limit yourself to Dublin.
Dublin is not that interesting a city and Ireland offers so much more, but it has to be taken slowly and should be given a (bare) minimum of 5 days.

There is much to see in the UK over a 2 week period to make your trip worthwhile without the cost of a weekend in Dublin. Since you'll be in Manchester, you could easily see the Lake District, Ironbridge Gorge, Cotswolds, Stratford Upon Avon, Oxford. You could also see York and /or Bath and environs which have much to offer.

If you have never been to London, then that's a must. Sorry, I don't know Scotland so others will have to comment. I don't know Manchester either, but don't think of this as a big tourism destination.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 03:37 AM
Laura

Thank you for this helpful information.
Laura

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:40 AM
xxx

I would suggest Wales as an alternative to Ireland. It would certainly be much closer and you would spend less time getting there. North Wales, in particular, is spectacular. Re-post citing some of your interests and what you wish to see.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:31 AM
John

Hi Laura,

Scotland and Ireland are truly great countries with wonderful people. The countryside is equally, or more interesting, than the major cities. But the major cities do have there own flavor and are worth your time.

Having said that, since you are planning on a few days in Scotland, I would do the two days in Dublin - particularly if your friends may go with you.

You would then have a nice comparision of say Edinburgh to Dublin - both great cities from my perspective.

Have a great trip.

By the way, the airfares from Manchester to Dublin are very inexpensive if planned in advance.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 08:12 AM
janis

Laura - I honestly think your plans are to scattered. A reasonable two week trip would be something like this - (of course there would be hundreds of other options)

2 or 3 days in Manchester w/ your friends. They will likely take you around the Peak District since it is so close and really special. They may also take you to Chatsworth.

Then take the train to Edinburgh (BTW - Dublin is lovely but will REALLY suffer by comparison w/ Edinburgh so would likely be a disappointment). Spend two nights in Edinburgh (or if your friends are interested they might join you and you could drive there). if you are on your own, after a couple of days in Edinburgh, rent a car and take 2 or 3 days to tour the countryside - the options are countless.

Then take the train From Edinburgh to London for a few days - then by train to Oxford (stay a couple of days and on one take a tour of the Cotswolds from the Oxford Tourist Information Office), Warwick and back to Manchester. for a couple of days at the end.