2 student girls traveling to Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there! Me and a friend of mine (two girls, 22 years) are planning on traveling to Switzerland in early April for a week. We're planing on visiting mainly Geneva and Zurich. We won't have a car and are looking for historical sites and nice scenery.

Any ideas on things we must see? Or places we should stay? Or tips on traveling?

Anything would be helpful!

Thanks for your help
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 11:05 AM

Do you want to visit Geneva and Zurich
or historical sites and nice scenery?
That's obviously not the same.

You may have a look at
http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/home.html
http://www.swisstravelsystem.ch/en/
http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 11:09 AM

Hi !

Switzerland is a great and various country to visit. To get more ideas of what you can do to get more ideas is to visit myswitzerland.com and there you find a lot of information.

On the webpage "getting around" of myswitzerland, they suggest you some itineraries depending of the length of the stay.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/t...g-around.html#

When you know more about places you want to go, you can find all timetables on the train company website www.sbb.ch. To travel by train is definitely easy in the country ! you can go almost everywhere.

I hope you are going to enjoy your trip !
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 12:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bring your wallet
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 12:53 PM

Any ideas on things we must see? Or places we should stay? Or tips on traveling?>

If you have never been to Switzerland you may want to go to the fantastic Jungfrau Region, to me and many others the absolute highpoint of Switzerland - the dreamy Alpine wonderland with glacier-girdled peaks arising above lush meadows - go to a town like Grindlewald or Lauterbrunnen and you'll be with tons of folks you age from all over the world - lots of cheap hostels and youth hotels - Interlaken also teems with them - a hot spot for young folk and oldsters too.

The area has hiking paths for all degrees of energy and toylike trains and thrilling aerial gondolas going everywhere.

Anyway if landing in Zurich or Geneva I'd head to the Interlaken area and make that a focus of your trip.

And for more historical places hit Lucerne, and towns yes like Geneva and Zurich if into museums and spic-and-span modern towns - but gthe Switzerland picture perhaps etched in your minds' eyes is a place like the Jungfrau Region (or Zermatt a similar place but I think the Interlaken area appeals more to younger folks and has a lot more varied things to see and do besides Alpine adventures - like boat rides on the two lakes bookending Interlaken.

Trains are a great way to get around - check out the Swiss Pass and Half-Fare Card and Swiss Card and Swiss Transfer ticket as usually one of these for the average traveler will save you money over individual fares and with a pass at least you can just hop on any train, with a few exceptions, lake boats, city trams, buses, Switzerland's iconic postal buses and also gets free etnry to 470 Swiss museums.

For lots of good info on Swiss trains check - www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com. For a guidebook orient3ed to folks your age and on a budget check Let's Go Switzerland, written by college kids for younger folk - especially good at critiquing low-cost places to stay.

Swiss cities are nice but the joy of Switzerland most are expecting to see likes up in dem hills!
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 12:54 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=jung...=1600&bih=1075

check out the photos of the Jungfrau Region to whet your appetite!
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 02:28 PM

Since you are both under 26 you qualify to use the Swiss Youthpass - same benefits as the regular Swiss Pass but cheaper - makes this expensive country at least rather cheap to get around!
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 02:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not big on Geneva proper but I *LOVE* the area along Lac Leman outside the city. The towns like Lausanne, Vevey, Montreux. You can get there by train from Geneva in approx. 1 hr.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 06:04 PM
kja

A good guide book or two should prove invaluable to you. You might consider The Rough Guide or The Lonely Planet.