2 pants, 1 capris, or vice versa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted earlier about our itinerary (4 women - me, daughter, sister, friend in Amsterdam/Paris for just over a week), and now have a question about packing. I'm definitely only taking carry-on - I have a very tight connection in Cincinnati and want to be sure that if I make the plane, my luggage does too. I originally planned to take two pairs of pants and one pair of capris. We have exactly 9 days, counting flying time, which means I would wear each three times (and could wash them out if necessary). Do you think it would be more practical/comfortable to have two pants and one pair of capris? Or two capris, one pair of pants? We leave Monday - it looks like the weather will be pretty warm.
I'm also taking 4 short-sleeved tops, one black cardigan sweater, and a lightweight Gortex parka. How does that sound?
And do you think it's worth it to carry an umbrella?
Thanks,
Karen
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take an umbrella for sure--then it WON'T rain!
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:36 PM

When are you going? I always pack a small umbrella just in case...it doesnt take up much room, and I can never find one to buy when it starts raining hahaha
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:40 PM

According to the world temperatures published in my local paper each day, Paris has been all over the place...from 68-88 degrees. It was like that on one of my trips there. The first two days, hot, and then cloudy, in the low to mid 60's and pouring rain off and on.

Take layers and if it were me, I'd do two pants and one capri...but, there's nothing for certain.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:48 PM

I, too, also carry a very small umbrella. Assume you are taking/wearing a long sleeve layer on the plane. If not, I would pack another one -- something like an oversize lightweight button-up shirt.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 02:37 PM

Always take an umbrella! I have a really small one that fits in my purse and it has come in handy on several locations.

Regarding the capris/pants issue, my concern would be the shoes. Some shoes that are great with pants wouldn't look right with capris. Base your decision on the combination that would give you the most options with the shoes you are taking. I have a couple pairs of casual pants that can be worn either long or rolled up as capris and I find they are great for taking on vacation.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 03:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I froze one July in Amsterdam (high the day we landed was 48 and the low in the 30's) and Paris ( before weather.com). My sister said she wished she had earmuffs and gloves. I hope the weather predictions are right.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

I'm taking Keen sandals as my primary walking shoes. They'll be fine with either long pants or capris. My back-up shoes are Teva flip-flops (not good for all day, but they have decent cushioning and even a little arch support, so they'll be fine for, say, an evening). Both pairs of shoes work with any of the bottoms.
I'm almost on the verge of caving in and taking 2 pants and 2 capris. I could fit them in. The thing is, I'm not taking a wheeled bag, so whatever I take, I have to carry on my back, which is why I'm working hard to keep it light. I think I'll do one last check of the weather forecast in the morning (my flight's not till late afternoon) and decide then on whether to go with 2 pants or 2 capris.
And, ok, you all have talked me into a small umbrella! Thanks!
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 03:21 PM

One of each and a skirt?
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

That's what my daughter's doing - one each and a skirt. I don't really have a good travel skirt, though, so that won't work for me. Plus, the Keen sandals are fine with pants or capris, but wouldn't be so good with a skirt. Thanks for thought, though.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:11 AM

Monday as in today? then I am too late of course. This week the temps are due to hit 30 C by Thursday, but thunderstorms are predicted for Friday/Saturday. Next week will be showery and cooler - around 22-23C. I live in capris here in the summer, even this last week when it was only 18C. Lots of showers this summer so you need something to protect you.
Have a look at http://www.buienradar.nl/ for the actual weather and showers, and click on the 5 day or 10 day forecast down the side for the predictions.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 02:42 AM

i dont take capris unless im doing water and flip flops
i dont like the look of heavy shoes with capris
so id go for different weights rather than lengths in pants
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Not too late! Yes, we leave today, but my flight's not 'til 5:20 - BWI to Cincinnati to Amsterdam. (And can you believe all four of us ended up on the Delta Cincinnati flight? We're coming from California, Colorado, and Maryland. It was more coincidence than planning! We all got the best deal that way.) I'm leaning toward sticking with 2 pants, 1 capri. Thanks all! I'll post a trip report when I return.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:28 AM

When I am packing light, I usually just buy an umbrella at my destination if I need one and then give it away before I leave.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 01:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
well, they better be on the plane by now!!! (but I hate long pants and skirts both, so would take all 3 pairs in capris myself).
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:49 AM

It's going to be 30C (86F) here tomorrow, so I hope the capris won!
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

I'm back! Had a great trip and will start a trip report soon (under a new thread). I ended up with two pairs of pants and one pair of capris - and it was fine. Pretty warm in Amsterdam, but a bit cooler in Paris. Either decision would have been ok. I ended up taking the umbrella - and never used it once! I just know it would have rained every day if I hadn't taken it.
Karen