2 nts - St. Gimignano, Spello, or Lucca?

Dec 6th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

2 nts - St. Gimignano, Spello, or Lucca?

Hello,
We have found a lot of very useful information in planning our Tuscany trip thus far and would like to thank everyone for all of their reports! I am having a bit of trouble planning our itinerary. We are flying into and out of Florence in May 2006. We plan to stay 2 nights in Florence, then rent a car and head to one of the above locations for 2 nights. From there we are going to San Quirico d'Orcia to the Palazzo del Capitano for 4 nights. During those nights we are going to explore the hill towns and take a day trip into Rome. I am not sure where to spend those 2 nights in the middle. I am leaning toward Spello as it sounds a little different than the other towns we will be staying in. Any advice? We are a young couple celebrating our 1 year wedding anniversary. We would like to stay in a town and be able to walk to restaurants, bars, etc. in the evenings. Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks!
Dec 6th, 2005, 05:51 AM

Hub and I have visited the 3 places you mentioned and I think you'd find more to do in Lucca (pop. 100,000). Spello (pop. 8,000) and San Gim (pop. 7,000) are spectacular hill towns but smaller so might make better daytrips. Also, look up Orvieto to visit-incredible duomo. Have a great time!
Dec 6th, 2005, 06:20 AM

I've been in and stayed in the places you mention and while Lucca is a much bigger town, if you haven't been to Spello, stay there. While it's small, the town is very enjoyable and quiet. We stayed at Palazzo Bocci and right across the street there were two fabulous restaurants and an enoteca. Spello was also a good day trip base for us to visit other Umbrian towns.
Dec 6th, 2005, 09:20 AM

Hi A,

I second the recommendation for Spello. I also stayed at Palazzo Bocci 4* for 2 nights in Sept and loved it! Il Molino is an excellent restaurant. Spello is tiny, but very special. It's also just a few minutes drive to Assisi which really is a must see, plan a full day there.

I've also stayed at Orvieto for 3 nights and it would be another excellent choice.

Congrats & buon viaggio!
Dec 6th, 2005, 10:15 AM

I didn't like Lucca at all, but found San Gimignano quite enjoyable for a few nights. There are plenty of good restaurants, lots of stores/boutiques/galleries, and beautiful scenery, especially from the ramparts. Have a good time!
Dec 6th, 2005, 10:18 AM

San Gimignano does not warrant a stay over in my opinion. I would stay over in Siena though, if you want to go into all gallaries and churches. I cannot comment on Lucca.
Dec 6th, 2005, 10:33 AM

I have stayed in all three towns. San gimignano is a beautiful town but a nightmare between 9 and 6 due to the influx of tour buses. I personally prefer Lucca but it is a city in comparison with the other two. There are several magnificent churches in Lucca, as well as the campo and walls surrounding the city. Spello is quiet and charming, although after visiting
assisi, I wished I'd stayed 2 nights there.

Dec 6th, 2005, 11:05 AM

asuebren; I just re read your query and
since you'd like to be someplace where you can walk to restaurants and bars it
sounds as if you'd like someplace a little more lively than spello; it s really very quiet. Lucca has lots of choices if you like to wander, sit at cafes,and people watch
Dec 6th, 2005, 04:35 PM

I don't know if others have had this experience, but we just stayed in San Gimignano and it was a nightmare! The church bells rang LOUDLY every half hour all night long. Neither my husband not I slept at all, and he's a pretty heavy sleeper. We were supposed to stay two nights, but checked out and stayed the second night in Siena instead. Have a great trip!
Dec 6th, 2005, 04:47 PM

We stayed just outside the walls of San Gimignano at Relais Santa Chiara, and were not subject to church bells ringing all night long. The hotel is only about a 10 minute walk to town, so it was easy enough to go back and forth, especially at the end of the day when the tour buses have gone.
Dec 8th, 2005, 02:08 PM

We stayed within the walls of San G and absolutely fell in love with the town. We stayed for 4 nights and enjoyed every minute of it. No cars or buses are allowed inside the walls (except for residents' cars, etc), so if you're within the walls, traffic is not a problem. The town shuts down pretty early, though. Streets were quiet by 10:00 pm, so if you're looking for a party, it might not be the place for you.