Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 nights too much in Lucca? Anyone stayed at Hotel Diana?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 11:44 AM
helen

Piccolo Hotel Puccini is fully booked for the times I want, but Hotel Diana has space. It is listed in "The Rough Guide" as: "would be a fine budget choice if it weren't for the frequency of complaints about surly staff." It looks great on their web page and their e-mail response was prompt and helpful. <BR>Anyone stayed in the main hotel? (not the recently built, expensive annex.) Also, are 2 nights too much for Lucca and surroundings?

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Paulo

Can help you with the hotel. Concerning the time to spend in Lucca, I think that 2 nights would be never too much because it may actually mean only a full day for sightseeing (if one arrives late and departs early) and then there's Pisa nextdoor that deserves at least 1/2 day. <BR>Paulo

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 06:13 AM
cmt

I think Hotel Diana was where I stayed for one or two nights in Lucca in October 1997, because all of the other hotels I'd tried were filled or did <BR>not answer my faxes. <BR> <BR>The hotel is in a good, quiet location and my room was fine. It did not include a bath, so I had to use the bath down the hall. (I don't <BR>remember whether the basic toilet was in the room, and I think it was, but I know that I did not have my own shower or tub.) The room was very inexpensive. There were fees for use of the <BR>shower and I think for a bath towel, but I don't think anyone ever collected it. The hotel does have some rooms with their own bath, but they <BR>were filled when I reserved. <BR> <BR>When I was there the hotel did not accept credit cards. I was very surprised. Fortunately, I had <BR>enough time to run to the ATM to get cash to pay my bill at check out just before catching my train. <BR> <BR>For me, the worst thing about it was that the older man who ran the desk all day and evening smoked constantly, so my room on the ground floor <BR>reeked of smoke, and I'm somewhat allergic to it. <BR> <BR>This man was gruff, to put it mildly, but certainly not obnoxious. I'm never very good at unlocking hotel rooms and getting my bearings in a dark strange room, so when I left for a while <BR>in early evening, I left my room light on. When I returned, the man told me to make sure I turned off the lights if I went out again because I was <BR>wasting electricity. (He had gone into my room and turned off the light while I was out.) <BR> <BR>This man did not speak English at all, but could understand a few words of it here and there. At the time, my knowledge of Italian learned 30 <BR>years earlier in college was still lying somewhat dormant deep inside my brain. (It has since been revived.) I was able to speak Italian to him <BR>enough to meet my needs, but I'm not sure what would have happened if I hadn't been able to. The maps and brochures that he had available at <BR>the desk were mostly in German, which I cannot read at all, and which he believed was "English". <BR> <BR>Tourist brochures in English, French or even ITALIAN were hard to find in Lucca; the tourist industry in the town caters mainly to Germans, or at least that was my impression during my limited two-day experience there. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 03:07 PM
kal

Hello, <BR>We were in Lucca in Septmeber and had a fine stay at San Marco Hotel. About 2 blocks outside of the wall. Great walk to the city through a neighborhood with some beautiful houses. Bus stop right at the corner if you don't want to walk. <BR> <BR>About a $5 (US) cab ride from the train station. <BR> <BR>Very modern/art deco style hotel. Staff spoke pretty decent English and were very helpful and professional. Good breakfast. <BR> <BR>We even used the laundry service which was A-OK too. <BR>Ciao

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 04:58 PM
liz

Helen, I have not stayed there yet, but quickly passed through 2 years ago for a few hours and loved it. We are going back this summer for a couple of days and are really looking forward to it. Two or three days would be perfect in Lucca, act like a native and ride a bike ride through town or on the towns walls! It's one of my very favorite towns in Italy and hardly any tourists to speak of. Enjoy!

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 02:33 PM
xxx

topping for the person with a similar question