Arriving at London City Airport - Help!

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Leigh

Arriving at London City Airport - Help!

My son and I are arriving at London City Airport after a long trip and layover in Brussels. All I want to do is get to the Hever Castle (Sevenoaks train station) area. I've looked into renting a car but am afraid I"ll be too tired to drive on the "correct" side of the road and read directions out of the city.
I've tried to figure out a way to take a train but it looks very complicated (bus to tube to train to taxi) At this point, I might just hire a taxi.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 08:48 AM
lisa

hiya leigh!
i didnt want your question to go unanswered...i took a browse around and this is what i came up with.
arriving at london city airport you should be able to get the train from there(info from london city airport website)use the silvertown station on the silverlink train service..apparently that takes you to richmond where you get the next train..the britrail site indicates that there are a total of 2 changes..but i couldnt find where the next one was..but will take you to sevenoaks.
i can tell you from experience that there is ABSOLUTELY nothing at the train station in sevenoaks..not even a phone!!! i had to walk to a puand it was a jaunt!!) to call a cab to get to hever castle.. the castle is not even remotely close to the station..it is a small town with not alot around..so i dont know that there are too many options for you besides the taxi to your final destination.
hope you enjoy your trip!!
lisa

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 09:18 AM
Ann

A compromise could be to take a taxi to London Bridge station and the train is straight through to Sevenoaks from there - about 30 minutes

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Lesli

See the thread "Distance from Heathrow to London City Airport?", which I've sent to the top for you, for lots of good info. (A search for "london city airport" will turn up several more threads.)

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 02:35 PM
Leigh

Thank you all for your help. At this point, with a child, luggage and 2 hours of sleep, I've decided to hire one of those chauffer type cars to go door to door which someone recommended in a previous posting. It's only 61 pounds total which I thought was pretty good since a taxi to the train, paying for 2 train tickets and hiring another taxi at sevenoaks might have been almost as much.Thanks again