2 full days - Venice, Florence, Pisa

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Rome in July and will have 2 full days during the end of the trip to visit Venice, Florence and Pisa. What do you guys recommend?
I was originally thinking of leaving Rome at about 6am by train and head to Venice and spend the night there and then head out about 7-8am and head to Florence and then head to Pisa about 1-2pm and then head back to Rome about 8-9pm or so.....Would it be better if I did it the opposite direction (Pisa, Florence, Venice) and stay in one of those places?? Is there some things that I SHOULD not miss while in these cities?
Old May 17th, 2011, 05:16 AM

Was just there way too much cramming for 2 days

Hop the fast train to Venice magical 31/2 hours

Overnite there no clue about your budget but

For 59euro www.hotelpausania.it #211 was a cute

Palazzo room with a canal view room stayed there

in April.

eurocheapo.com venice-tourism.com

Spend the 2 days there hop off in Florence

on your way back for a quick day tour.

Pisa is ugly the Tower sort of tourist trappy

Plenty of leaning towers in Venice similar

So might skip that you do not have time also

not worth the money.

Happy Travels!
Old May 17th, 2011, 05:17 AM

Otel.com cheapest booking site for Pausania in Venice

try to stay IN Venice proper more expensive but worth it.

trenitalia.com for training info.
Old May 17th, 2011, 06:07 AM

I would pick (flip a coin if you really have no preference) either Venice or Florence - forget Pisa. Certainly you have more time if you go for Florence but my preference would be Venice even tho you eat up more time getting there. Florenece if the art museums are a big draw - Venice for the hands down uniqueness of the place.
Old May 17th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses.....We aren't really interested in the art museums, however I would like to see Michelangelo's "David". Is there anything in Florence other than the art museums that are great to see?

What are the things to see in Venice? Obviously, we'd like to do a gondola ride (I know they can be expensive) and do some exploring while there.

So, there isn't much to see in Pisa at all? Has anyone seen the ancient roman ships of Pisa? We'd also be interested in the Leaning Tower, but qwovadis, you say there are similar ones in Venice....Where would these be?
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Also, I checked that hotel www.hotelpausania.it and it wasn't 59 euro's, it was 120 euro's...I'll be going there in the beginning of July.
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:22 AM

Only one night in Venice- what is the point of that except to cross it off a list? All the places you mention deserve at least 3 days EACH to savour their individual beauties. I have been to all three and think they all have their own merits and certainly wouldn't think I had seen snything in only 2 days to see three fantastic cities.
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:33 AM

If you factor in the amount of time spent on trains, you don't have two full days at all - maybe one. I don't see the point of traipsing all over the country with so very little time to see anything, especially since you don't seem to know what you want to see and do, except for the gondola ride.
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:42 AM

I concur with skipping Pisa with the limited time. If you could spare 1/2 day more I'd suggest:
. Leave Venice on the last train of the 2nd day. Overnight in Florence
. See a couple of sights, including David in the morning and leave for Rome by noon. You can be in Rome for lunch. The last admission to the Accademia is 17.30, but it opens quite early at 08.15.
. Also, if you are early risers, and it sounds like you are: go for an early morning (~6.30am) walk in Venice. The usually busy areas are quite empty and really lovely. I've had Piazza San Marco all to myself (well, nearly. there were a couple of janitors there too)

If you can't spare the extra 1/2 day, then your earlier plan sounds fine.
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:21 AM

Rywith - I just googled the ancient ships of Pisa - I must say that does look interesting! But I think I still vote to skip Pisa and if art / museums not a main interest, then head to Venice. The whole city is just very unique - watching all the commerce on the water. DHL boats, garbage boats, ambulances, everything on the water. You could visit the cathedral, San Marcos, or skip it. Spring for a gondola ride or just use the vaporettos - there is no where on earth like it. Sure its worth more than an overnight but if this is your chance, I do think its worth the train ride to see it and check it off your list.
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:39 AM

I say do what you want and don't skip Pisa if it's on your list. Yes, it's too much to do and see in too little time but even if you had 2 weeks, you'd need to come back.

Just check the train routes/times to see what's the most efficient and fast. Take cabs in Pisa and Florence so you don't waste time. There's a nice Sofitel in Venice near the train station.

David and Ponte Vecchio were faves of mine in Florence but hub and I also went to the museums and churches.

Leaning Tower and spectacular Duomo in Pisa.

For myself, I'd just stay in Venice the entire 3 days. Amazing buildings and mysterious walks. Everything by boat-very interesting.
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:45 AM

Venice to Florence to Pisa to Rome in one day is 7-8 hours of actual train time, not counting getting to and from each train station, time wasted getting to the station early (even if minimized). I think you're looking at 9+ hours of transit that day. Way too much for me, but to each his own.

Personally I think you'd be better off spending both nights in Florence. Second choice would be both nights in Venice. Last choice would be Venice then Florence and leave out Pisa. Nothing against Pisa, but it's just too much for one day. I think you'll regret it.

Have you looked into changing your ticket to fly out of Venice. Even if it costs you 100-150 more it's worth it when you factor in the savnigs on train tickets and, most importantly, time. Spend both nights in Venice and fly home from there.
Old May 17th, 2011, 12:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I will be in Rome in July and will have 2 full days during the end of the trip to visit Venice, Florence and Pisa. What do you guys recommend? >>

don't.

i'm in florence at the moment and it is hot and crowded. you will not gave any time to do anything worthwhile in the time you have and it may spoil Florence for you forever.

unless you are pushing 100, in which case it may just be worthwhile to come and see the duomo, leave it till another time. Ditto Pisa.

go to Venice. you may still be here but it may not be.
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:10 AM

One of my favorites in Florence is the Basilica of San Lorenzo and the chapel of the famously wealthy Medici family.

I would agree with the others who said to spend the two days in either Venice or Florence and enjoy it. I prefer Florence but that's just personal preference.
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Hmmmm, now I'm really in a pickle....So much good info here. Thanks a lot to all, I'll take all this info and figure out what is best.
Old May 19th, 2011, 11:59 AM
JBX

Concur with previous posters.

CHOOSE ONE .... either Venice or Florence. Although the general concensus is to knock Pisa off your list, do be aware that Pisa is a short train ride from Florence. IF, if you really want to go there, it's very do-able as a daytrip from Florence.
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:27 PM

Forget Pisa. Between Venice and Firenze -- I'd vote for Venice, no doubt.... There's no place on earth like Venice. We've been in all 3, years ago, but my daughter just got back from Venice and she said no flood at the moment, so it's great for taking the water taxis, walking, eating their thin version of Pizza, and get lost in the maze of narrow alleys... It's a once in a lifetime experience you do not want to miss!
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:35 AM

A list from an old posting. Some of the sights, sites, and activities in Venice:

Piazza San Marco, Basilica San Marco, Campanile, Palace of the Doges, Grand Canal on a vaporetto, Lagoon islands: (Murano, Burano, Torcello), San Michelle, Gondola yard. The Arsenal and the Naval Museum, Correr Museum, Accademia art museum, Peggy Guggenheim Gallery, numerous art shows and exhibits that are always running, The Ghetto. Another dozen or so specialty museums (Lace museum, Archaeological musuem, etc).

Too many churches to list with interesting and world-class art and architecture, but...Basilica Santa Mariadella Salute, Basilica dei Frari, Santa Maria dei Miracoli, San Sebastiano, San Pietro di Castello, Santo Giovanni E Paolo, Madonna dell'Orto. Venice's churches have some of Italy's greatest works of art--many free or low cost to view--by the likes of Tintoretto, Veronese, Titian, Bellini, Vivarini, and Carpaccio.

Scuola Grande di San Rocco, Scuola San Giorgio degli Schiavoni, Scuola San Nicolo, Scuola Grande Dei Carmini, Scuole Grande of San Rocco.

Campo Santa Maria Formosa, Ca’ Rezzonico museum, Querini-Stampalia palace/museum, San Giovanni Evangelista, Ponte di Rialto, Rialto market, Ca’ d’Oro, Ca' Pesaro museum, gondola tour of smaller canals. Opera and concerts at La Fenice and other venues. Walking away from the daytripping herds and discovering a quiet, secret city that most tourists have no clue exists--quiet campos with perhaps a restaurant or two and a couple of shops, and neighborhood children playing or couples strolling before dinner.

And don't forget the Lido of Venice beach resort in the summer.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Paul1950, Thanks so much for the list it is much appreciated!!