Search

2 days in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 1998, 05:02 PM
Jan M

2 days in Rome

What would you do (in order)if you had only two days in Rome? We will be jet lagged from a long flight from Australia. We like architecture and sculpture, less interested in a lot of art galleries. Can anyone recommend a budget hotel (double room with bath) which is very central so we can walk to do much of the sightseeing?

Old Jan 22nd, 1998, 06:55 PM
Lynn

We had two days in Rome early in September, and how we saw it seemed to work out well. We started our stay after disembarking a cruise ship. You will be getting off an airplane, sounds like. We were taken into the city via bus and then given a tour of the sites of Rome. For firstimers, this was particularly interesting because it gave us an idea of the layout of the city and what we might like to see again. Perhaps you can arrange for a similar tour right from the airport, especially if you are arriving in the morning. The first stop on our tour was St. Peter's Basilica which we were given narrative by our guide. This was the most awesome site to me in Rome, even moreso than the vatican. (Make sure your knees are covered for entry). You will want to see the Vatican and Sistene Chapel, but I would save for the next day when you are more rested. Hopefully, the tour will also go through Ancient Rome--the Collosuem, Pantheon and Trevi Fountain. The next day, plan an early morning to go to the Sistene Chapel and Vatican. My advice, get hooked up with another tour group because entering is faster this way. You don't have to wait in the long line outside, but will go in another entrance with the guide, plus get an explanation of the important sites. Perhaps you can grab some lunch, and do some other siteseeing. I understand there is great shopping at the Spanish Steps, which we didn't get back to due to fatigue. These were my favorite sites, maybe some others can recommend a few more to do in two days, but I would also suggest getting a guide book--we used Rick Steve's Guide to Europe which was great in rating the sites and giving detailed walking directions.

Old Jan 26th, 1998, 12:34 AM
jon

We flew into Rome from Toronto, so we have some idea of the jet lag you will be dealing with. Best bet is get lots of sleep on the plane and then (if arriving in the morning) keep busy all day. Rome doesn't really have all that many museums, mostly old buildings and architecture, so you'll probably find most of the sights there to your liking. Counting the day you arrive (in the morning) as Day 1 and two mornings later (when you depart) as Day 3, I recommend the following: Day 1 begins at noon -- you will spend at least 2 hours getting from the airport to your hotel (Hotel Traiano, a Quality Inn chain hotel, was L200,000 in August 1997 for a double with bath). The Collesium, Panthenon, Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps, and Trevi Fountain can all be seen by foot in one large loop. We recommend this order, not only because of they are in logical order, but because Treve Fountain is a great hang out after dark, with many restaurants near by and a curious nighttime crowd that gravitate toward the Trevi Fouintain. Our favorites were the Collesium, Piazza Navona, and Trevi Fountain. Be sure to cool your feet off in the Fontana dei Fiumi (the middle of three fountains of Piazza Navona). Day 2 should be committed to the Vaitcan City/St. Peter's Basilica. Be sure to get there as early as possible. Rather touristy, but awesome and unforgettable nonetheless. Even though you don't like museums, the Sistine Chapel is a must see; lines are long, get there before 10a. Recommend catching the bus to/from the Vatican City from your hotel.

Old Jan 26th, 1998, 09:36 AM
Joe Lomax

The Hotel Adriatico (**)is on the Via Vittorio Vitelleschi about a block and a half from the Castel S. Angelo. If you are interested in a bit more stars, the Hotel Atlante Star (****) is across the street with a roof-top resturant. To reset your body clock, you need to get in the sun. So it is best that the first day should be walking around, sitting in piazzas, and enjoying the architecture. The webpages: www.roma2000.it and pub.xplore.it/nerone/fr_touri/frame2.htm have good itineraries. If you are particularly tired from your trip, but need to get out and about and the latter web page gives a good suggestion: "A tour of Rome on a old fashoned A.T.A.C bus Everyday at 2.30pm there is an ATAC blue bus that leaves from the square in front of Termini station (Piazza dei Cinquecento). The number of this bus is 110 and it will take you all around the city for about 3 hours making stops at the main sites. The ticket costs 15.000 lire and can be bought from the ATAC kiosks and information office in Piazza dei inquecento (tel. 46.95.20.52).
Brochures in Italian, English, French, German and Spanish can be found on the bus. We wish you a
pleasant tour!" I would agree with seeing the Vatican area on the second day. Consider taking the Garden/Vatican Museum/S. Pietro tour. Depending on what day of the week, you will have the gardens plus one or the other: museum or church. You can get tickets from the Information station on the south side of the P. S. Pietro. You likely will be waking up at 4 A.M. or staying up until 2 A.M. Take advatage of your mismatch in time to walk around the city. If you are up early, try the Campo di Fiori/P. Navonna/Pantheon/Trevi Fountain/Quirinal Hill. Up late, go to P. Navonna/Spanish Steps/Trevi Fountain triangle. Even though you will be in a hurry, avoid taxis. Also, if on a bus, watch for young men hugging the exit doors of the bus; they bump you on the way out and lift your wallet.

Old Jan 27th, 1998, 09:54 PM
jane cooper

Be very careful in Rome of pickpockets, especially when you are jet lagged and your guard is down. They are usually in crowded places, and on trains, buses etc.

Old Jan 27th, 1998, 09:54 PM
jane cooper

Be very careful in Rome of pickpockets, especially when you are jet lagged and your guard is down. They are usually in crowded places, and on trains, buses etc.