Oktoberfest in Munich 1998

Jan 9th, 1998, 08:16 AM
Eric Huether

Oktoberfest in Munich 1998

Has anyone ever been to Munich for Oktoberfest? How is it? I'll be there this year. Any information on other things to do around that part of Germany will be greatly appreciated.

Jan 15th, 1998, 01:16 AM
George Holt

Its a really good time. We went for a friend's stag party a couple of years ago and had a great time, I keep meaning to go back. At Oktoberfest time the Muncheners really let their hair down (they're not stuffy at the best of times) and everyone is out for a good time. On the opening Saturday there is a huge parade of bands and brewery drays on the road leading to the Oktoberfest site, this starts mid morning and takes about a half hour to pass you. Then there are barrel tapping ceremonies in each of the beer 'tents' before you get down to seriously having a good time. On the Sunday there is a seemingly even bigger parade. I don't know whether these parades are repeated each weekend (the fest lasts several weeks) but on the last night there is a concert of the massed bands from all the beer tents. There are about a dozen tents (permanent halls in fact) representing all the major breweries from in and around Munich including (in no particular order) Hoffbrau, Pauliner, Lowenbrau and plenty of other names you've probably heard of. The fest also includes a large fair with white knuckle rides souvenier stalls and other sideshows. Visit my web page at - http://wkweb4.cableinet.co.uk/george...tweb/fest.html - (homepage is - http://wkweb4.cableinet.co.uk/george...web/index.html - ) for my impressions and some links to Munich and Oktoberfest relevant pages. Have fun!

Jan 15th, 1998, 01:28 AM
George Holt

Its a really good time. We went for a friend's stag party a couple of years ago and had a great time, I keep meaning to go back. At Oktoberfest time the Muncheners really let their hair down (they're not stuffy at the best of times) and everyone is out for a good time. On the opening Saturday there is a huge parade of bands and brewery drays on the road leading to the Oktoberfest site, this starts mid morning and takes about a half hour to pass you. Then there are barrel tapping ceremonies in each of the beer 'tents' before you get down to seriously having a good time. On the Sunday there is a seemingly even bigger parade. I don't know whether these parades are repeated each weekend (the fest lasts several weeks) but on the last night there is a concert of the massed bands from all the beer tents. There are about a dozen tents (permanent halls in fact) representing all the major breweries from in and around Munich including (in no particular order) Hoffbrau, Pauliner, Lowenbrau and plenty of other names you've probably heard of. The fest also includes a large fair with white knuckle rides souvenier stalls and other sideshows. Visit my web page at - http://wkweb4.cableinet.co.uk/george...tweb/fest.html - (homepage is - http://wkweb4.cableinet.co.uk/george...web/index.html - ) for my impressions and some links to Munich and Oktoberfest relevant pages. Have fun!

Jan 28th, 1998, 03:18 AM
bo in guam

I would also recommend the Octoberfest---should be
renamed the Septemberfest. I you don't know, it runs the last two weeks of September to the 1st weekend of October. It's no Mardi Gras....and I consider that to be a good thing. It is crowded, but it's something you can deal with. Munchiners (sp?) are very friendly. In my opinion, the HaufBrau (HB) Haus tent is the most rambunctious. There were always lots of Aussies/English having their soccer battles on the floor...Depends on how wild you want to get. The Lowenbrau tent was a very good traditional tent...Oohmpah bands and beer.

Don't make the mistake of waiting for the last subway (UBAHN) out of the fest. It's like a Japanese subway at rush hour...only everybody's drunk.

It is definitely a good time.

Bo